    BillKirch Guest

    My son bought a game that won't even play if the video card doesn't support
    this...what gives..Why is'nt this game backward compatiable.BG
    BillKirch, Dec 31, 2003

  2. BillKirch

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    news::

    > My son bought a game that won't even play if the video card doesn't
    > support this...what gives..Why is'nt this game backward compatiable.BG

    Transform and Lighting, or T&L, is the precursor to modern day vertex and
    pixel shading. It's a feature that has been available since the early days
    of the GeForce line of nVidia cards, and is found in cards that cost under
    $50, so it is not even close to a high end feature. Why isn't the game
    backwards compatible? Probably because T&L capable cards have been
    available for close to 5 years now, and anyone with a machine that doesn't
    have a T&L capable graphics card probably has too old of hardware to handle
    it.

    By making the game "backwards compatible", the designers would have to
    implement all the things that T&L can do without T&L hardware. That means
    the computer's processor would have to do all the work. In addition to the
    cost of writing the code for that, it would be tremendously slower
    (probably doubling or tripling the min processor requirement), and the
    graphics would not look near as good, as the processor can not process
    triangle information fast enough while doing the rest of the game to use a
    lot of graphics.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Dec 31, 2003

  3. BillKirch

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > oads (BillKirch) wrote in
    >
    >> My son bought a game that won't even play if the video card doesn't
    >> support this...what gives..Why is'nt this game backward
    >> compatiable.BG
    >>

    > Transform and Lighting, or T&L, is the precursor to modern day vertex
    > and pixel shading. It's a feature that has been available since the
    > early days of the GeForce line of nVidia cards, and is found in cards
    > that cost under $50, so it is not even close to a high end feature.
    > Why isn't the game backwards compatible? Probably because T&L
    > capable cards have been available for close to 5 years now, and
    > anyone with a machine that doesn't have a T&L capable graphics card
    > probably has too old of hardware to handle it.
    >
    > By making the game "backwards compatible", the designers would have to
    > implement all the things that T&L can do without T&L hardware. That
    > means the computer's processor would have to do all the work. In
    > addition to the cost of writing the code for that, it would be
    > tremendously slower (probably doubling or tripling the min processor
    > requirement), and the graphics would not look near as good, as the
    > processor can not process triangle information fast enough while
    > doing the rest of the game to use a lot of graphics.

    Good answer...now go get a cheap GeForce 3 or 4 card.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 31, 2003