    http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC address
    is different there also.
    Thank you for any help no matter how little.

    Barney, Sep 6, 2006

  2. BTHomeHUB-# is the default SSID for various BT wireless devices -eg:

    http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/index.jsp?targetCategory=hn_products/hn_hn1
    200&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLName=link.searchresults&oLDesc=KB_503

    It sounds like you are getting a signal from someone else's network.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "Barney" <> wrote in message
    > I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
    > installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
    > address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
    > anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't

    get

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Sep 6, 2006

  3. Barney

    Barney Guest

    Thank you for the reply Doug. So what do I do now as I can't get my own
    wireless network running because of this. BT Hub. Is there anyway I can
    block it with my firewall?
    "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in
    message news:%...

    Barney, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Barney

    Lem Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply Doug. So what do I do now as I can't get my own
    > wireless network running because of this. BT Hub. Is there anyway I can
    > block it with my firewall?
    > "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <> wrote in
    > message news:%...
    >> BTHomeHUB-# is the default SSID for various BT wireless devices -eg:
    >>
    >> http://www.bt.com/homenetworking/index.jsp?targetCategory=hn_products/hn_hn1
    >> 200&com.bea.event.type=linkclick&oLName=link.searchresults&oLDesc=KB_503
    >>
    >> It sounds like you are getting a signal from someone else's network.
    >>
    >> Doug Sherman
    >> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
    >>
    >> "Barney" <> wrote in message
    >>> I had wireless running on my pc last year and then disconnected it. After
    >>> installing it again I have found that SSID is BTHomeHUB-4A1F and the MAC
    >>> address does not correspond with the address on the DI-524 Router. Can
    >>> anyone enlighten me as to what this *BTHomeHUB-4A1F* is and why I can't

    >> get
    >>> connected on the wireless connection.I have tried the wizard
    >>> http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html and the MAC
    >>> address
    >>> is different there also.
    >>> Thank you for any help no matter how little.

    You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
    network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the DI-524.

    If you need a better response, please provide some more information.
    For starters:
    What did you disconnect?
    What did you install again?
    Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?
    How are you connected to the Internet?
    What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?
    Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
    encryption disabled)?

    Lem, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Barney

    Barney Guest

    > You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
    > network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the
    > DI-524.
    >
    > If you need a better response, please provide some more information. For
    > starters:

    > What did you disconnect?

    I formatted the drive and didn't reconnect to the wireless

    > What did you install again?

    The driver for the Router(AirPlusG DI-524) & driver for Wireless PCI Adapter
    DWL-G510.

    > Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?

    I was under the impression that the MAC code was an essential part of the
    connection.

    > How are you connected to the Internet?

    Cable

    > What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?

    PCI Adapter DWL-G510

    > Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
    > encryption disabled)?

    When I went through the wizard
    http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html as far as I could see
    the encryption is disabled. I can only get to the wizard through the link
    and not through my router, I can't reach 198.162.0.1. The same goes for the
    laptop.

    Barney, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Barney

    Lem Guest

    Barney wrote:
    >> You don't have to "block it." Just don't connect to it. Connect to the
    >> network designated by the SSID you assigned when you configured the
    >> DI-524.
    >>
    >> If you need a better response, please provide some more information. For
    >> starters:

    >> What did you disconnect?

    > I formatted the drive and didn't reconnect to the wireless
    >
    >> What did you install again?

    > The driver for the Router(AirPlusG DI-524) & driver for Wireless PCI Adapter
    > DWL-G510.
    >
    >> Why are you concerned with MAC addresses?

    > I was under the impression that the MAC code was an essential part of the
    > connection.
    >
    >> How are you connected to the Internet?

    > Cable
    >
    >> What are you using on your PC as a wireless adapter?

    > PCI Adapter DWL-G510
    >
    >> Do you know the encryption key for your wireless security (or is
    >> encryption disabled)?

    > When I went through the wizard
    > http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html as far as I could see
    > the encryption is disabled. I can only get to the wizard through the link
    > and not through my router, I can't reach 198.162.0.1. The same goes for the
    > laptop.

    OK.

    First of all, there is no driver for the router itself, so I'm not sure
    what you installed other than the driver for the DWL-G510, but it
    probably doesn't matter.

    Second, I'm sorry. My last question wasn't as clear as it should have
    been. I understand that you can't make a successful wireless
    connection, but can you access the Internet through a wired connection
    to the router? In other words, is your PC still directly connected to
    your cable modem or did you connect the cable modem to the WAN port of
    the DI-524 and then connect your PC to one of the LAN ports? You should
    be connected to the router with an Ethernet cable before you attempt to
    configure it.

    Third, if you actually went through the setup wizard by entering
    http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html in a web browser,
    you did not in fact do anything to set up your router. That is an
    emulator -- a demonstration to show how the Install Wizard works. In
    order to actually configure the router you must log in to the router itself.

    Fourth, the default IP address for accessing the router is 192.168.0.1.
    In your last post, you wrote "I can't reach 198.162.0.1." If that's
    just a typo and you tried the correct IP address and had no success, you
    may have to reset the router to its factory default.

    There are too many divergent paths from this point for me to continue
    without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for
    the DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
    Install Guide is here
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
    manual is here
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Manual/DI-524_manual_06292005.zip

    A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
    BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
    networks to connect to? Was there any other network name showing that
    you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?
    You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

    Lem, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Barney

    Barney Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > First of all, there is no driver for the router itself, so I'm not sure
    > what you installed other than the driver for the DWL-G510, but it probably
    > doesn't matter.

    My mistake Lem, It was the manual I was looking referring to on the disc.

    > Second, I'm sorry. My last question wasn't as clear as it should have
    > been. I understand that you can't make a successful wireless connection,
    > but can you access the Internet through a wired connection to the router?
    > In other words, is your PC still directly connected to your cable modem or
    > did you connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the DI-524 and then
    > connect your PC to one of the LAN ports? You should be connected to the
    > router with an Ethernet cable before you attempt to configure it.

    The cable modem is connected to the router (WAN) and the PC is connected to
    LAN port 1.

    > Third, if you actually went through the setup wizard by entering
    > http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524/h_wizard.html in a web browser,
    > you did not in fact do anything to set up your router. That is an
    > emulator -- a demonstration to show how the Install Wizard works.

    I realize that now as I went to that site last night and everything was the
    same but without the SSID.

    >In order to actually configure the router you must log in to the router
    >itself.

    I tried to log in to the router with 192.168.0.1 but couldn't get the
    connection.

    > Fourth, the default IP address for accessing the router is 192.168.0.1. In
    > your last post, you wrote "I can't reach 198.162.0.1." If that's just a
    > typo

    Sorry it's a typo.

    and you tried the correct IP address and had no success, you
    > may have to reset the router to its factory default

    I tried to reset the router by way of the reset at the back, Still no joy
    ..

    > There are too many divergent paths from this point for me to continue
    > without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for the
    > DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
    > Install Guide is here
    > ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
    > manual is here
    > ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Manual/DI-524_manual_06292005.zip
    >
    > A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
    > BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
    > networks to connect to? Yes that was the only one showing

    Was there any other network name showing that

    > you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?

    I went through the same procedure this time as the last time. This time I'm
    getting nothing .

    > You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

    No

    Thanks for your time Lem

    Barney, Sep 7, 2006
  8. Barney

    Lem Guest

    Barney wrote:
> [...]

    >> without a bit more info from you. If you have mislaid the manuals for the
    >> DI-524, you might want to download them and take a look. The Quick
    >> Install Guide is here
    >> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/QIG/di524_QIG_100.zip and the full
    >> manual is here
    >> ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di524/Manual/DI-524_manual_06292005.zip
    >>
    >> A few more things. Assuming that the DWL-G510 is working correctly, was
    >> BTHomeHUB-4A1F the only network that showed up in the list of available
    >> networks to connect to? Yes that was the only one showing

    > Was there any other network name showing that
    >
    >> you can recall setting up when you had this system working a year ago?

    > I went through the same procedure this time as the last time. This time I'm
    > getting nothing .
    >
    >> You didn't get the DI-524 from British Telecom, did you?

    Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN
    port. Type
    ipconfig /all [enter]

    This will show information about both of the network adapters installed
    in the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
    Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
    should look something like this:

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
    name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.

    Lem, Sep 7, 2006
  9. Barney

    Barney Guest

    >> Thanks for your time Lem

    > Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN port.
    > Type
    > ipconfig /all [enter]
    >
    > This will show information about both of the network adapters installed in
    > the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
    > Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
    > should look something like this:
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    > Connection
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >
    > Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
    > name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.
    >Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-06ivbxpjsj
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
    Eth
    ernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-30-65-1A
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 September 2006 09:56:10
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 September 2006 09:56:10

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
    Wireless P
    CI Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-09-DF-99

    It states Media disconnected but on the router the power,status,WAN,WLAN &
    1lights are on and the status light is flashing as normal. I was wondering
    if you received the mail to your Hotmail box.

    Barney, Sep 7, 2006
  10. Barney

    Lem Guest

    Barney wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your time Lem

    >> Open a command prompt window on the PC connected to the router's LAN port.
    >> Type
    >> ipconfig /all [enter]
    >>
    >> This will show information about both of the network adapters installed in
    >> the PC, the DWL-G510 wireless adapter and your Ethernet Local Area
    >> Connection. It's the latter that your interested in at this point. It
    >> should look something like this:
    >>
    >> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >>
    >> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    >> Connection
    >> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-D2-77-F2
    >> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    >> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    >> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    >> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    >>
    >> Omitting the "Description" and the "Physical Address" (which is another
    >> name for MAC address), tell me how your results differ from the above.
    >> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-06ivbxpjsj
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
    > Eth
    > ernet NIC
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-09-30-65-1A
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 September 2006 09:56:10
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 September 2006 09:56:10
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >
    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510
    > Wireless P
    > CI Card
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-3D-09-DF-99
    >
    > It states Media disconnected but on the router the power,status,WAN,WLAN &
    > 1lights are on and the status light is flashing as normal. I was wondering
    > if you received the mail to your Hotmail box.

    Well, the IP address of your router appears to have somehow been changed
    to 192.168.0.102. This is quite odd, because that's an address that
    typically would be assigned by the router's DHCP server to a PC that
    connects to it. Having the router's own IP set to that number would
    almost certainly cause conflicts if you had 3 or more PCs connected.

    Also, why it wasn't reset to the default when you pushed the reset
    button I have not the foggiest idea. I almost would suggest holding the
    reset button pressed for, say, 30 seconds (the manual says to hold it
    for 10 seconds), and see if in fact the IP address gets reset to
    192.168.0.1. If it does reset, the upside is that you will be starting
    from a known configuration, without any other peculiar settings that may
    be lurking and waiting to bite you (like no SSID broadcast); the
    downside is that you will have to reconfigure the interface between the
    router and your cable box, or you won't be able to surf the Internet
    with the router connected as it is now. Your choice.

    If you elect not to reset, open a browser and enter 192.168.0.102 in the
    address bar. You should see your router's configuration utility. The
    login name is admin (lowercase). The default password is blank.
    Hopefully, you either didn't change it or remember what you changed it
    to. If you get this far but can't get past the password, your only
    option is to try to reset the router. [You can try using the login name
    user. This is supposed to allow read-only access to the configuration
    utility. This might help -- but not if you've set any encryption,
    because the encryption key will be concealed.]

    If you successfully log in to the router, you can than run the
    configuration wizard and hopefully get your wireless connection working.
    If 192.168.0.102 doesn't work, and if holding the router's reset
    button for an extended time doesn't reset to 192.168.0.1, I'm out of
    ideas. A long, firm call to D-Link tech support is in order.

    "Media disconnected" means that you don't have an active wireless link
    between your DWL-G510 and the router -- but you already knew that.

    The WLAN light on the router just means that its radio is turned on and
    broadcasting. If you only see your neighbor's SSID as an option to
    connect to, that suggests that SSID broadcast was somehow turned off.
    Again, this should have been reset by the reset button.

    I don't regularly check the Hotmail address. It's just there to soak up
    the spam.

    Good luck. I'm afraid you'll need it.

    Lem, Sep 7, 2006
  11. Barney

    Barney Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > Barney wrote:

    If I were to buy a complete wireless setup for my PC & laptop, what would
    you suggest. I'm on NTL Cable Modem, 4MB
    Thank you

    Barney, Sep 7, 2006
  12. Barney

    Barney Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > key will be concealed.]
    >
    > If you successfully log in to the router, you can than run the
    > configuration wizard and hopefully get your wireless connection working.
    > If 192.168.0.102 doesn't work, and if holding the router's reset button
    > for an extended time doesn't reset to 192.168.0.1, I'm out of ideas. A
    > long, firm call to D-Link tech support is in order.
    >
    > "Media disconnected" means that you don't have an active wireless link
    > between your DWL-G510 and the router -- but you already knew that.
    >
    > The WLAN light on the router just means that its radio is turned on and
    > broadcasting. If you only see your neighbor's SSID as an option to
    > connect to, that suggests that SSID broadcast was somehow turned off.
    > Again, this should have been reset by the reset button.
    >
    > I don't regularly check the Hotmail address. It's just there to soak up

    Lem thank you very much for the assistance. I have learnt a lot from your
    posts and it gives me a lot to go on and keep trying. If and when I get it
    sorted you will be the first to know. Thanks again for your input and your
    patience.
    Regards
    Barney

    Barney, Sep 8, 2006
  13. Barney

    Lem Guest

    Barney wrote:
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Barney wrote:

    > If I were to buy a complete wireless setup for my PC & laptop, what would
    > you suggest. I'm on NTL Cable Modem, 4MB
    > Thank you

    Normally, D-Link is quite so much trouble as you are having.
    Personally, I've had good luck with Linksys. Netgear is also popular.
    You probably would do OK with any of the major brands. Here are some
    thoughts (a little out of date) from MVP Jack, a frequent poster in this
    NG: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Within a given brand, I would stick -- as you have -- with the basic
    802.11(g) models of router and adapter. If you go "turbo" or whatever
    name is used for accelerated speed, be sure to get everything from the
    same manufacturer. I don't think it's worth it, but I have DSL, not
    cable. If I were you, I'd stay away from "pre-N" or MIMO at this point.
    The 802.11(n) standard has not yet been ratified -- so today's pre-n
    may or may not work with tomorrow's real 802.11(n).

    And the following Three Rules of Wireless Networking, from Tom's
    Networking, are worth keeping in mind:

    1) It never goes as fast as they say it does
    2) It never goes as far as they say it does
    3) It never sets up as easily as they say it does

    Lem, Sep 8, 2006
  14. Barney

    Barney Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > Barney wrote:
    >> "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Barney wrote:

    >> If I were to buy a complete wireless setup for my PC & laptop, what would
    >> you suggest. I'm on NTL Cable Modem, 4MB
    >> Thank you

    > Normally, D-Link is quite so much trouble as you are having. Personally,
    > I've had good luck with Linksys. Netgear is also popular. You probably
    > would do OK with any of the major brands. Here are some thoughts (a
    > little out of date) from MVP Jack, a frequent poster in this NG:
    > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
    >
    > Within a given brand, I would stick -- as you have -- with the basic
    > 802.11(g) models of router and adapter. If you go "turbo" or whatever
    > name is used for accelerated speed, be sure to get everything from the
    > same manufacturer. I don't think it's worth it, but I have DSL, not
    > cable. If I were you, I'd stay away from "pre-N" or MIMO at this point.
    > The 802.11(n) standard has not yet been ratified -- so today's pre-n may
    > or may not work with tomorrow's real 802.11(n).
    >
    > And the following Three Rules of Wireless Networking, from Tom's
    > Networking, are worth keeping in mind:
    >
    > 1) It never goes as fast as they say it does
    > 2) It never goes as far as they say it does
    > 3) It never sets up as easily as they say it does

    Thanks again Lem. I really appreciate all that you have done for me. I shall
    post on this group how things have turned out for me.
    Thanks again
    Regards
    Barney

    Barney, Sep 8, 2006