What is this? cds94.atl.llnw.net

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Mar 9, 2008.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept making a
    connection and transferring. What the hell is this?

    svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?

    Registrant:
    Limelight Networks
    2220 W. 14th Street
    Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    United States

    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
    G. Morgan, Mar 9, 2008

  2. G. Morgan wrote:

    > I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept
    > making a connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >
    > svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?
    >
    > Registrant:
    > Limelight Networks
    > 2220 W. 14th Street
    > Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    > United States

    Google is your friend. It is a content delivery network. What page were
    you on when you noticed it?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="limelight networks"

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2008

  3. G.Morgan wrote:

    > I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept making a
    > connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >
    > svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?
    >
    > Registrant:
    > Limelight Networks
    > 2220 W. 14th Street
    > Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    > United States

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2008
  4. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept
    >> making a connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >>
    >> svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?
    >>
    >> Registrant:
    >> Limelight Networks
    >> 2220 W. 14th Street
    >> Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    >> United States

    >Google is your friend. It is a content delivery network. What page were
    >you on when you noticed it?

    No browser was open. It's coming from:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

    I think it has something to do with automatic updates but I have them turned
    off. In fact - trying to troubleshoot I went to MS update website and got an
    error after I blocked the IP block in my firewall.

    G. Morgan, Mar 9, 2008
  5. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >G.Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept making a
    >> connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >>
    >> svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?
    >>
    >> Registrant:
    >> Limelight Networks
    >> 2220 W. 14th Street
    >> Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    >> United States

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks

    Thanks, that doesn't help narrow it down though. See my reply to Shagnasty, I
    think it may be MS updates phoning home - even though I have it turned off.

    G. Morgan, Mar 9, 2008
  6. G.Morgan wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>G.Morgan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it kept making a
    >>> connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >>>
    >>> svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the connection?
    >>>
    >>> Registrant:
    >>> Limelight Networks
    >>> 2220 W. 14th Street
    >>> Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    >>> United States

    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks

    > Thanks, that doesn't help narrow it down though. See my reply to Shagnasty, I
    > think it may be MS updates phoning home - even though I have it turned off.

    One of the things specifically asked was "are these guys legit?" I don't
    know about that file, but I believe that link answers that quesiton.

    Meanwhile, while I didn't find anything on that specific file, I found
    this on one that looks suspiciously similar. I don't know that it's
    relevant but it might be.

    http://spywaredetector.net/spyware_encyclopedia/Adware.Alien Shooter.htm

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 9, 2008
  7. G. Morgan

    VanguardLH Guest

    "G. Morgan" wrote in message
    > I ended up having to block this bugger with HOSTS file because it
    > kept making a
    > connection and transferring. What the hell is this?
    >
    > svchost.exe:892 TCP mypc:1439 cds94.atl.llnw.net:http CLOSE_WAIT
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Are these guys legit, and what software/crapware is opening the
    > connection?
    >
    > Registrant:
    > Limelight Networks
    > 2220 W. 14th Street
    > Tempe, Arizona 85281-6945
    > United States

    All you know is that svchost.exe is making the connection. svchost
    rolls up several NT services until one process, and you may have
    multiple instances of svchost concurrently running. The PID (process
    ID) is 892. You can use Process Explorer from SysInternals to see
    what NT services got rolled up into the svchost.exe instance with PID
    of 892. That might start to lead you to which NT service wanted to
    make the connection.

    Why use a hosts file? Why not add the site to a block list in your
    firewall where you could then monitor any further attempts to connect
    by looking in the firewall's log? Most firewalls let you block on an
    IP address. Some also include URL blocking (so the DNS request never
    gets out to get back the IP address). You could also change from
    using the DNS server supplied by the DHCP setup for you TCP/IP
    configuration to using OpenDNS where, in your account, you can block
    domains (but only if an IP name is used which requires the DNS lookup
    to get the IP name; however, if the process uses an IP address then
    there is no DNS lookup).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_startup_process

    You do know that much of Microsoft's worlwide load-balanced content,
    like for Windows Updates, is delivered through Akamai hosts, right?
    They probably don't like Limelight stealing some of that content
    revenue from Microsoft.
    VanguardLH, Mar 9, 2008