What is the "right" way to format and print pictures at home?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dakota7, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. dakota7

    dakota7 Guest

    I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    right?

    My process:

    1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.

    2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    new directory.

    3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    want to print in.

    4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    photos will go on each page.

    5. In word, choose "insert photo from file" for each picture, then in
    Word, size the picture to the exact dimensions I want.

    Etc, until ready to print.

    As I said, it works for me, but there must be a better and easier way,
    and I'd like to hear what those ways are for other people.
    dakota7, Oct 14, 2003

  2. "dakota7" <> wrote in message
    > I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    > home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    > and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    > It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    > right?
    >
    > My process:
    >
    > 1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.
    >
    > 2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    > new directory.
    >
    > 3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    > aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    > want to print in.
    >
    > 4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    > photos will go on each page.
    >
    > 5. In word, choose "insert photo from file" for each picture, then in
    > Word, size the picture to the exact dimensions I want.
    >
    > Etc, until ready to print.
    >
    > As I said, it works for me, but there must be a better and easier way,
    > and I'd like to hear what those ways are for other people.

    Most photo-editing software now has provisions for printing multiple photos
    on a page. Some are free, like Kodak's EasyShare. Some have a price tag.
    I find PaintShop Pro the best of those. Its list price is over $100, but it
    is on sale from time to time for about half that price.

    If you do want to make a page layout, there are easier progams than Word. I
    use MS Publisher for that, but other publishing programs would probably be
    as good.
    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 14, 2003

  3. dakota7

    Andy H Guest

    "dakota7" <> wrote in message
    > I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    > home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    > and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    > It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    > right?
    >
    > My process:
    >
    > 1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.
    >
    > 2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    > new directory.
    >
    > 3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    > aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    > want to print in.
    >
    > 4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    > photos will go on each page.
    >
    > 5. In word, choose "insert photo from file" for each picture, then in
    > Word, size the picture to the exact dimensions I want.
    >
    > Etc, until ready to print.
    >
    > As I said, it works for me, but there must be a better and easier way,
    > and I'd like to hear what those ways are for other people.

    ArcSoft PhotoPrinter automatically lays out selected files over a page for
    printing - and prints them....
    Andy H, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Kodak EasyShare software does this quite easily with a number of pre-defined
    layouts.

    you can get it free at:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw

    William Jackson, Oct 14, 2003
  5. dakota7

    dakota7 Guest

    Thanks William. Great software, does exactly what I was trying to do.
    I just downloaded it and although I haven't printed yet, I love it. I
    particularly like the crop window that is set to the aspect ratios I
    need. Do you know how hard it is to sit there with a calculator trying
    to crop pictures?

    I have a question though - probably answered somewhere in the
    documentation, sorry. Does the software in any way change the photo
    file on which it is working? In other words, should I be careful to
    only start with copies of the original jpg file, lest I trash the
    original?

    Thanks again.

    In article <bmhh8e$kdc$>,
    "William Jackson" <> wrote:

    > Kodak EasyShare software does this quite easily with a number of pre-defined
    > layouts.
    >
    > you can get it free at:
    >
    > http://www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw
    >

    > "dakota7" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    > > home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    > > and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    > > It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    > > right?

    snip
    dakota7, Oct 14, 2003
  6. The only time the software changes the image is when "edited" in the
    software. If you're in the print workflow, the image is just fit into the
    frame for printing and nothing happens to to the JPEG on the way by.

    Also, when you edit the original is kept in a "hidden" location as the
    digital negative that you can always revert back to. (you can optionally
    turn display on for the negatives as well if you like, it's off by default)

    William Jackson, Oct 14, 2003
  7. dakota7

    Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:24:25 -0400, "Marvin Margoshes"
    <> wrote:

    >If you do want to make a page layout, there are easier progams than Word. I
    >use MS Publisher for that, but other publishing programs would probably be
    >as good.

    I found using Word exceptionally easy. But I found the colours came
    out different, somewhat darker, and I stopped using it for photos.
    Just insert pic, drag it around, resize it, add next one, repeat etc.
    This was with the Office 97 version of Word. Office XP was a
    different story. Total pig to do it in. I now use QImage Pro just to
    maximise paper useage without any layout considerations, or sometimes
    just layer photos up in Photoshop if it's a quick job.

    MJ
    , Oct 14, 2003
  8. dakota7

    Mark B. Guest

    "dakota7" <> wrote in message
    > I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    > home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    > and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    > It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    > right?
    >
    > My process:
    >
    > 1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.
    >
    > 2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    > new directory.
    >
    > 3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    > aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    > want to print in.
    >
    > 4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    > photos will go on each page.

    Eegad! The "right way" for me never included using Word as a print
    mechanism. I purchased QimagePro earlier this year and it's all I use for
    printing. You can d/l a trial version at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    Mark
    Mark B., Oct 15, 2003
  9. dakota7

    Jon Bell Guest

    In article <>,
    dakota7 <> wrote:

    >1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.
    >
    >2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    >new directory.
    >
    >3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    >aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    >want to print in.
    >
    >4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    >photos will go on each page.

    Why use Word? Doesn't your image editor support printing?

    I use Photoshop LE for image editing. If I want to print more than one
    picture on a sheet, I prepare each picture in a separate window, then open
    a blank document the size of the final sheet, copy and paste the pictures
    into it, position them appropriately, and print.

    --
    Jon Bell <> Presbyterian College
    Jon Bell, Oct 15, 2003
  10. dakota7

    Jon Bell Guest

    In article <bmjk56$hpp$>,
    Jon Bell <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >dakota7 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    >>photos will go on each page.

    >Why use Word? Doesn't your image editor support printing?

    OK, *now* I see the reference to tables. I don't do very many pictures on
    a single page, so it doesn't take long to drag them to the correct
    position using the on-screen rulers for positioning. Or I could create a
    template with boxes in a separate layer, then delete that layer before
    printing.

    I can see that if you have a lot of pictures to print, all that dragging
    and aligning would get tedious.

    --
    Jon Bell <> Presbyterian College
    Jon Bell, Oct 15, 2003
  11. dakota7 <> writes:

    > I'm happy with the quality of my digital photos when I print them on my
    > home inkjet printer. But today, someone was asking me how I print them,
    > and in explaining, I started to laugh at how complicated my process is.
    > It's not really a problem for me, but there's GOTTA be a better way,
    > right?
    >
    > My process:
    >
    > 1. Create a directory to use for assembling the pictures I want to print.
    >
    > 2. Copy the unedited originals of any photos I want to print into the
    > new directory.
    >
    > 3. Edit and crop the original photos, being careful to trim so the 3x4
    > aspect ratio of the original tranlates to 4x6 or 3x5 or whatever size I
    > want to print in.
    >
    > 4. Start a new MS Word document and use tables to lay out where the
    > photos will go on each page.
    >
    > 5. In word, choose "insert photo from file" for each picture, then in
    > Word, size the picture to the exact dimensions I want.
    >
    > Etc, until ready to print.
    >
    > As I said, it works for me, but there must be a better and easier way,
    > and I'd like to hear what those ways are for other people.

    If you are willing to use command line tools, the freely available ImageMagick
    suite has tools to edit photos including cropping (convert, mogrify) and
    combining multiple pictures into one file (montage).

    For example, I was recently deciding which shots to use for a calendar I was
    making, and didn't want to print 24 pages. So I used:

    montage -resize 800x600 -tilewidth 10x10 *.jpg output.jpg

    And montage created several output.jpg.0, output.jpg.1, etc. files, each of
    which had 4 pictures resized to 800x600 with a 10 pixel border.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Oct 15, 2003
  12. dakota7

    nuttin Guest

    PhotoShop Elements has a picture layout tool that does what the LE user is
    describing. You can choose from a prepared format or custom design your
    own.

    nuttin, Oct 15, 2003