    Do publishers use highly advance monitors or
    super-knowledgeable graphics professionals who know how things will
    turn out even if they can't preview them?
    Scotius, Jul 12, 2010

  2. "Scotius" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do publishers use highly advance monitors or
    > super-knowledgeable graphics professionals who know how things will
    > turn out even if they can't preview them?

    "What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only
    display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see
    8 bit?"

    Precision - so that when you adjust the levels in the image, you still
    have more than enough bits.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 12, 2010

  3. Scotius

    Ofnuts Guest

    Re: What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitorcan only display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you canonly see 8 bit?

    On 12/07/2010 07:45, Scotius wrote:
    > Do publishers use highly advance monitors or
    > super-knowledgeable graphics professionals who know how things will
    > turn out even if they can't preview them?

    One of the reasons lies in the lack of computational accuracy during
    editing, that rears its ugly head as a the "combed histogram":

    http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/editing/combed-histograms.aspx

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jul 12, 2010
  4. Scotius

    krishnananda Guest

    In article <i1een7$qsh$-september.org>,
    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    > "Scotius" <> wrote in message
    > > Do publishers use highly advance monitors or
    > > super-knowledgeable graphics professionals who know how things will
    > > turn out even if they can't preview them?

    > "What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only
    > display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see
    > 8 bit?"
    >
    > Precision - so that when you adjust the levels in the image, you still
    > have more than enough bits.
    >
    > David

    In the print advertising industry we used to make comprehensive layouts
    ("comps") for proofing, client presentations, editing, etc. This was
    done with various printing technologies (color laser, solid-ink, Iris
    prints, large scale photographic proofs) which could emulate the 4-color
    offset printing process that would produce the final product. At the
    very least they all depended on the CMYK gamut as they all were seen in
    reflected light. None of these could accurately match Pantone colors.

    On-screen proofs were considered inferior and unreliable -- CRT monitors
    deeded daily attention to be "accurate" etc.

    Now, for the most part, the newer generation of art directors do
    everything on screen, and make client presentations in PowerPoint. There
    are often big surprises when the printed pieces come off press, as no
    monitor can fully emulate CMYK. And the younger art directors don't know
    what Pantone means.

    There are always trade-offs.
    krishnananda, Jul 12, 2010
  5. Scotius

    Rich Guest

    Re: What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitorcan only display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you canonly see 8 bit?

    On Jul 12, 12:09 pm, krishnananda <>
    wrote:
    > In article <i1een7$-september.org>,
    >  "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Scotius" <> wrote in message
    > > > Do publishers use highly advance monitors or
    > > > super-knowledgeable graphics professionals who know how things will
    > > > turn out even if they can't preview them?

    > > "What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only
    > > display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see
    > > 8 bit?"

    > > Precision - so that when you adjust the levels in the image, you still
    > > have more than enough bits.

    > > David

    > In the print advertising industry we used to make comprehensive layouts
    > ("comps") for proofing, client presentations, editing, etc. This was
    > done with various printing technologies (color laser, solid-ink, Iris
    > prints, large scale photographic proofs) which could emulate the 4-color
    > offset printing process that would produce the final product. At the
    > very least they all depended on the CMYK gamut as they all were seen in
    > reflected light. None of these could accurately match Pantone colors.
    >
    > On-screen proofs were considered inferior and unreliable -- CRT monitors
    > deeded daily attention to be "accurate" etc.
    >
    > Now, for the most part, the newer generation of art directors do
    > everything on screen, and make client presentations in PowerPoint. There
    > are often big surprises when the printed pieces come off press, as no
    > monitor can fully emulate CMYK. And the younger art directors don't know
    > what Pantone means.
    >
    > There are always trade-offs.

    Thank those who decided to use RGB for monitors and CMYK for printing.
    Rich, Jul 13, 2010
  6. Scotius

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > > There are always trade-offs.

    > Thank those who decided to use RGB for monitors and CMYK for printing.

    go learn about additive and subtractive colour.
    nospam, Jul 13, 2010
  7. Scotius

    krishnananda Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > On Jul 12, 12:09 pm, krishnananda <>
    > wrote:
    > > In article <i1een7$-september.org>,
    > >  "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Scotius" <> wrote in message

    > > > "What is the point of having 16 bit colour if a computer monitor can only
    > > > display 8 bit colour? How do you edit 16 bit colour when you can only see
    > > > 8 bit?"

    > > > Precision - so that when you adjust the levels in the image, you still
    > > > have more than enough bits.

    > > > David

    > > In the print advertising industry we used to make comprehensive layouts
    > > ("comps") for proofing, client presentations, editing, etc. This was
    > > done with various printing technologies (color laser, solid-ink, Iris
    > > prints, large scale photographic proofs) which could emulate the 4-color
    > > offset printing process that would produce the final product. At the
    > > very least they all depended on the CMYK gamut as they all were seen in
    > > reflected light. None of these could accurately match Pantone colors.
    > >
    > > On-screen proofs were considered inferior and unreliable -- CRT monitors
    > > deeded daily attention to be "accurate" etc.
    > >
    > > Now, for the most part, the newer generation of art directors do
    > > everything on screen, and make client presentations in PowerPoint. There
    > > are often big surprises when the printed pieces come off press, as no
    > > monitor can fully emulate CMYK. And the younger art directors don't know
    > > what Pantone means.
    > >
    > > There are always trade-offs.

    > Thank those who decided to use RGB for monitors and CMYK for printing.

    And by that you do mean the laws of physics?

    Transmitted light (additive) primaries are Red Green and Blue.
    "Media that combine emitted lights to create the sensation of a range of
    colors are using the additive color system. Typically, the primary
    colors used are red, green, and blue."
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color>

    Reflected light (subtractive) primaries are Cyan Magenta and Yellow.
    "Media that use reflected light and colorants to produce colors are
    using the subtractive color method of color mixing."
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color>

    No matter what color space you are working in, if you are using a
    monitor that transmits light (that would be all of them), a slide
    projector, a television, etc. what you are actually _looking at_ is
    additive color.

    If you are looking at a color print etc. you are looking at subtractive
    color.

    If you combine red, green, and blue light in equal parts you get pure
    white (colorless) light.

    If you combine red, green, and blue _paint_ you get a horrible dark mud
    which would be black if the pigments were pure.

    Likewise if you have no red, green, or blue light you have darkness. If
    you have no paint on a white substrate you have the color of the
    substrate.

    No one "decided" to enact these laws of physics. Newton may have
    _discovered_ the physics behind color (Isaac Newton, "Optics, or, a
    Treatise of the Reflections, Refractions, IrMlections and Colours of
    Light", 4th ed. (London, 1730)) but, like gravity, he didn't "invent" it.
    krishnananda, Jul 13, 2010