What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Chris, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Chris

    Guest

    Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    > What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?

    > http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf

    > http://www.epson.co.uk/product/printers/photo/styphotor800/spec.htm

    > In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
    > In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.

    > Quite a difference!
    > Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

    What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
    My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
    best authority on the issue.
    , Apr 15, 2004

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <c5mddf$941$>, writes
    >Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >> What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
    >> http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf
    >> http://www.epson.co.uk/product/printers/photo/styphotor800/spec.htm
    >> In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
    >> In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
    >> Quite a difference!
    >> Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

    >What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
    >My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
    >best authority on the issue.

    I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
    best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
    However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
    know.
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Chris

    Jeremy Guest

    "Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > In article <c5mddf$941$>, writes
    > >Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    > >> What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
    > >> http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf
    > >> http://www.epson.co.uk/product/printers/photo/styphotor800/spec.htm
    > >> In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
    > >> In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
    > >> Quite a difference!
    > >> Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

    > >What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
    > >My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
    > >best authority on the issue.

    > I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
    > best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
    > However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
    > know.
    > --
    > Chris

    Pardon my ignorance of this, but why would your CPU speed impact upon your
    printer? Mightn't it just take longer to spool the print job out to the
    printer? Your computer's resources might impact more on your editing
    software.
    Jeremy, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <yGAfc.9554$>,
    Jeremy <> writes
    >"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >> >What did Epson tech support say when you asked them this question?
    >> >My guess is a 500MHz CPU should be fine, but Epson would be the
    >> >best authority on the issue.

    >> I'm asking in this newsgroup because Epson are demonstrably *not* the
    >> best authority - because they say two different things (quoted above).
    >> However, there are experts in this newsgroup, some of whom are likely to
    >> know.

    >Pardon my ignorance of this, but why would your CPU speed impact upon your
    >printer? Mightn't it just take longer to spool the print job out to the
    >printer? Your computer's resources might impact more on your editing
    >software.

    I, like you, wondered about this. Perhaps colour management software is
    resource-hungry? I don't know - and I'd like to know!
    Let's keep the conversation going until it's noticed by an expert on
    printing.
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 15, 2004
  6. If its a GDI Printer the computer does the proccesing and just sends a data
    stream to the printer so a faster cpu means faster prints, and a to slow cpu
    makes printer stutter and suffer quality degridation

    Michael Picard, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Chris

    Andrew Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:47:28 -0700, Mark Herring
    <> wrote:

    >This makes absolutley no sense. A slow CPU will make things go more
    >slowly---the printer will not stutter.

    Some cheap printers don't have any buffer and so can be affected by a
    slow CPU.
    Andrew, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Chris

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:06:56 GMT, "Michael Picard"
    <> wrote:

    >If its a GDI Printer the computer does the proccesing and just sends a data
    >stream to the printer so a faster cpu means faster prints, and a to slow cpu
    >makes printer stutter and suffer quality degridation

    This makes absolutley no sense. A slow CPU will make things go more
    slowly---the printer will not stutter.

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Apr 17, 2004
  9. Chris

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:54:03 +0100, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >What is the minimum computer requirement to use the Epson R800 printer?
    >
    >http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf
    >
    >http://www.epson.co.uk/product/printers/photo/styphotor800/spec.htm
    >
    >In the first link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 2GHz.
    >In the second link above it says the minimum cpu speed is 500MHz.
    >
    >Quite a difference!
    >Does anyone know which, if either, is true?

    As several have pointed out, why would the printer care how fast the
    CPU is?

    Let's ask the correct question: What Computer do you need to be able
    to efficiently do photo work?

    1. Fast CPU, but not the fastest. 2GHz is plenty. If you are
    patient, you could get by with less, but why bother? 2GHz is cheap.

    2. RAM--LOTS of RAM I'd say 1GByte minimum

    3. Hard drive: If you use something like Photoshop, get 2 hard
    drives--1 for the scratch disk, and maybe backup, etc. Drives are so
    cheap that 2 80Gbyte drives will be pretty affordable.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Apr 17, 2004
  10. Chris

    Steven Wandy Guest

    From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:

    Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM
    Steven Wandy, Apr 17, 2004
  11. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <k7fgc.33082$>, Steven Wandy
    <> writes
    >From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:
    >Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM

    Thanks. I wonder why the discrepancy?
    BTW I looked at the USA site and it seemed to say Pentium lll not ll?
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 17, 2004
  12. Chris

    Si Guest

    "Steven Wandy" <> wrote in message
    > From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:
    >
    > Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM

    Take a look at this .pdf from Epson UK, page 4, right hand side.

    http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf

    You'll notice 3 print examples. A4 black text, A4 colour text and the bike
    image...

    Amazingly, the .pdf states that they were printed using a Pentium 200 with
    64MB of RAM....

    Despite the fact that the spec says that this printer requires a 2gig
    pentium to run.

    Even more amazing is that these are the same examples that they have been
    trotting out on every recent printer .pdf.
    Si, Apr 17, 2004
  13. Chris

    George Guest

    > In article <k7fgc.33082$>, Steven Wandy
    > <> writes
    > >From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:
    > >Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM

    > Thanks. I wonder why the discrepancy?
    > BTW I looked at the USA site and it seemed to say Pentium lll not ll?
    > --
    > Chris

    P3/P2, I wouldn't worry about it as both (around that speed) were Slot 1
    processors and pretty much could be used on the same motherboards. I think
    the most telling things are:
    1) Epson drivers are for WinXP so whatever hardware has to be able to
    support running WinXP
    2) The printer is USB, so you have to have a USB port
    3) You really didn't want to run it on hardware worse than Epson's
    recommendation above, did you?
    George, Apr 18, 2004
  14. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <>, George
    <> writes
    >"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >> In article <k7fgc.33082$>, Steven Wandy
    >> <> writes
    >> >From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:
    >> >Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM

    >> Thanks. I wonder why the discrepancy?
    >> BTW I looked at the USA site and it seemed to say Pentium lll not ll?

    >P3/P2, I wouldn't worry about it as both (around that speed) were Slot 1
    >processors and pretty much could be used on the same motherboards. I think
    >the most telling things are:
    >1) Epson drivers are for WinXP so whatever hardware has to be able to
    >support running WinXP
    >2) The printer is USB, so you have to have a USB port
    >3) You really didn't want to run it on hardware worse than Epson's
    >recommendation above, did you?

    Point taken. I was actually enquiring for a friend who has an old
    computer.
    500MHz would be OK - but the 2GHz mentioned in the other document would
    be too much for him. I wonder why the UK pdf manual gives the 2GHz
    requirement - it seems ridiculously high!
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 18, 2004
  15. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <c5sajd$g1$>, Si
    <> writes
    >"Steven Wandy" <> wrote in message
    >> From Epson USA site, Acrobat PDF file of R800 Manual:
    >> Windows XP - Pentium II - 500 Mhz - 256 RAM

    >Take a look at this .pdf from Epson UK, page 4, right hand side.
    >http://www.epson.co.uk/contact/brochure/Inkjet/Stylus_Photo_R800.pdf
    >You'll notice 3 print examples. A4 black text, A4 colour text and the bike
    >image...
    >Amazingly, the .pdf states that they were printed using a Pentium 200 with
    >64MB of RAM....
    >Despite the fact that the spec says that this printer requires a 2gig
    >pentium to run.
    >Even more amazing is that these are the same examples that they have been
    >trotting out on every recent printer .pdf.

    That's truly amazing!
    How is one to find the truth?
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 18, 2004
  16. Chris

    PETERWOJ Guest

    I don't know the printer in question. However Win XP will run (little slugish
    but workable) on Pentium 2, 233 MHz with no major problems. As a matter of fact
    my notebook with above specs will even play DVD movies as long as I lower
    screen resolution. I also don't see why printer which is inherently slow device
    would need high specs computer. It may take longer to process the data and it
    may need at least 128 MB RAM but really I don't see any reason whatsoever why
    slower computer couldn't be used as long as the driver can work without the
    newest instruction set found on newest Pentium models (and it should). Most
    printers I'm aware of will wait for the data to be processed by the CPU and
    have on board buffer big enough to make it work regardless how slow the data is
    provided. Most inkjet printers print line by line and most laser printers which
    need to print full page at once have enough memory on board to hold that page.
    Unless there is something special about R800 (read: unless they are made so
    cheap that they don't have enough buffer memory) the speed of computer
    shouldn't be an issue.
    PETERWOJ, Apr 18, 2004
  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    In article <>, PETERWOJ
    <> writes
    >I don't know the printer in question. However Win XP will run (little slugish
    >but workable) on Pentium 2, 233 MHz with no major problems. As a matter of fact
    >my notebook with above specs will even play DVD movies as long as I lower
    >screen resolution. I also don't see why printer which is inherently slow device
    >would need high specs computer. It may take longer to process the data and it
    >may need at least 128 MB RAM but really I don't see any reason whatsoever why
    >slower computer couldn't be used as long as the driver can work without the
    >newest instruction set found on newest Pentium models (and it should). Most
    >printers I'm aware of will wait for the data to be processed by the CPU and
    >have on board buffer big enough to make it work regardless how slow the data is
    >provided. Most inkjet printers print line by line and most laser printers which
    >need to print full page at once have enough memory on board to hold that page.
    >Unless there is something special about R800 (read: unless they are made so
    >cheap that they don't have enough buffer memory) the speed of computer
    >shouldn't be an issue.

    Your comments make very good sense to me.
    And from what has been reported here there are three completely
    different specifications for the R800 published by its maker, Epson!
    2GHz; 500MHz; 200MHz.
    This is ridiculous!
    I wonder if anyone from Epson ever reads this newsgroup?
    --
    Chris
    Chris, Apr 18, 2004