    iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    WormWood, Sep 29, 2004

  2. WormWood

    Freddy Guest

    Good question. My laptop has an i key - which was originally programmed to
    go straight to the internet browser, so I always presumed i = information -
    but just a guess.

    Freddy, Sep 29, 2004

  3. WormWood

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:39:54 -0400, WormWood wrote:

    >For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    >cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    >items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    >iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can

    Well i386 as used on MS CDs for NT class OS would be the CPU intel 386.
    That makes more sense when you see the power pc and alpha directories
    it's easy to figure out.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 29, 2004
  4. WormWood

    WormWood Guest

    Yes, TYVM for the response. Can you give me any insight into the meaning
    of 'i', as used in the way I spelled it out in my post?

    WormWood, Sep 29, 2004
  5. WormWood

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:44:46 -0400, WormWood wrote:

    >Yes, TYVM for the response. Can you give me any insight into the meaning
    >of 'i', as used in the way I spelled it out in my post?

    You will notice I only answered 1 part of your query.

    iomega is a name of a company, Try a Google or other search using case
    sensitivity.

    Try something like - history ipod or history imac there are lots of
    search engines.

    Some copyright name issue?

    Maybe it means nothing, have you thought of that?

    >| On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:39:54 -0400, WormWood wrote:
    >|
    >| >For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    >| >cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of
    >many
    >| >items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    >| >iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    >|
    >| Well i386 as used on MS CDs for NT class OS would be the CPU intel
    >386.
    >| That makes more sense when you see the power pc and alpha directories
    >| it's easy to figure out.

    Me

    why?, Sep 29, 2004
  6. WormWood

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, WormWood mused:

    | For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    | cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    | items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    | iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    | anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    | will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    I don't think there is one meaning for all situations. I think the only
    answer that will cover all instances is: "The 'i' means marketing has
    picked something trendy." I have never heard of iLumber ... is it an
    internet source for 2x4s? Regarding IMAX, the "i" could be a play on "eye"
    given that it in a "huge theater experience."

    Regarding iMac, iPod, and iTunes ... it likely stands for "internet" as
    the iMac was originally marketed as a simplified "email and browsing"
    solution. The iPod and iTunes are integrated sources of downloading music
    from the internet and playing them where ever you go.

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=IMAC

    mhicaoidh, Sep 29, 2004
  7. WormWood

    Max Guest

    In article <>, WormWood
    <> wrote:

    > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    I think there are two problems:
    you assume there must be a reason for this, which is almost entirely a
    marketing issue
    you assume the reason is going to be the same one for such different
    products

    When Apple created the iMac, they were making a point that this
    computer package was specifically developed for internet use. Once that
    became a popular and recognizable name, it simply helped marketing to
    offer others with a similar name, and that even holds for other
    companies.

    Max, Sep 30, 2004
  8. WormWood wrote:

    > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    I can't speak for all, but having worked tech for iOmega for a while, it
    was never brought up... Last I knew that was just their name / 1/2 made
    up word.

    As to "i386" - the "i" refers to CPU Maker "intel"

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Sep 30, 2004
  9. WormWood

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Max" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, WormWood
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance
    > >

    > I think there are two problems:
    > you assume there must be a reason for this, which is almost entirely a
    > marketing issue
    > you assume the reason is going to be the same one for such different
    > products
    >
    > When Apple created the iMac, they were making a point that this
    > computer package was specifically developed for internet use. Once that
    > became a popular and recognizable name, it simply helped marketing to
    > offer others with a similar name, and that even holds for other
    > companies.

    iMac, i=preference for user friendly... i=for me
    iOmega, named from Input/Output Megabytes. a complete redesign of the
    company's image with the original zip drives.

    dunno what the f*ck iLumber is... must be a fad.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Sep 30, 2004
  10. WormWood

    Proprclr Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > iMax, iMac, iPod,

    Trendy naming/marketing. I think thr "I" stood for
    information.

    >iOmega,

    Probaly nothing, but *I* would stay away from their junk

    >even a file i386, to name just a few. Can

    i386=Intel 386 processor based PC.

    Proprclr, Oct 2, 2004
  11. WormWood

    Proprclr Guest

    Max <> wrote in message news:<290920042128359376%>...
    > In article <>, WormWood
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance
    > >

    > I think there are two problems:
    > you assume there must be a reason for this, which is almost entirely a
    > marketing issue
    > you assume the reason is going to be the same one for such different
    > products
    >
    > When Apple created the iMac, they were making a point that this
    > computer package was specifically developed for internet use. Once that
    > became a popular and recognizable name, it simply helped marketing to
    > offer others with a similar name, and that even holds for other
    > companies.

    Can you explain why people were going apesh*t over the *I*Roc car
    back in the late 80's, which predates Imacs for atleast 10 years? :)

    Proprclr, Oct 2, 2004
  12. WormWood

    Proprclr Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message news:<3x%6d.5728$>...

    > dunno what the f*ck iLumber is... must be a fad.

    iLumber is lumber that disintergrates after 2 years, unless you pay
    to have the company to come by your house (which is made of iLumber)
    to renew your iLumber subscription for another 2. :)

    Proprclr, Oct 2, 2004
  13. WormWood

    Max Guest

    In article <>, Proprclr
    <> wrote:

    > > When Apple created the iMac, they were making a point that this
    > > computer package was specifically developed for internet use. Once that
    > > became a popular and recognizable name, it simply helped marketing to
    > > offer others with a similar name, and that even holds for other
    > > companies.

    > Can you explain why people were going apesh*t over the *I*Roc car
    > back in the late 80's, which predates Imacs for atleast 10 years? :)

    Please note that I was writing only of the technology industries.
    I was not suggesting that Apple was the first to use the letter 'i' in
    ALL products.
    I suspect that the IROC cars (all caps, please) meant something other
    than a reference to a computer.

    Max, Oct 2, 2004
  14. Max wrote:

    > In article <>, Proprclr
    ><> wrote:

    >> > When Apple created the iMac, they were making a point that this
    >> > computer package was specifically developed for internet use. Once that
    >> > became a popular and recognizable name, it simply helped marketing to
    >> > offer others with a similar name, and that even holds for other
    >> > companies.

    >> Can you explain why people were going apesh*t over the *I*Roc car
    >> back in the late 80's, which predates Imacs for atleast 10 years? :)

    > Please note that I was writing only of the technology industries.
    > I was not suggesting that Apple was the first to use the letter 'i' in
    > ALL products.

    I'll betcha he's heard of IBM.

    > I suspect that the IROC cars (all caps, please) meant something other
    > than a reference to a computer.

    Same as in "IBM": "International (Race Of Champions)"

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 2, 2004
  15. WormWood

    DC Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    Any comments? Okay...

    http://subvertise.org/img_med/444.jpg

    };O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

    DC, Oct 2, 2004
  16. WormWood

    WormWood Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    | WormWood wrote:
    | > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    | > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of
    many
    | > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    | > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    | > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons?
    | > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance
    |
    | Any comments? Okay...
    |
    | http://subvertise.org/img_med/444.jpg
    |
    | };O)

    iCute :0))

    WormWood, Oct 3, 2004
  17. WormWood

    DC Guest

    WormWood wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >| WormWood wrote:
    >| > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    >| > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of
    > many
    >| > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    >| > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    >| > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons?
    >| > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance
    >|
    >| Any comments? Okay...
    >|
    >| http://subvertise.org/img_med/444.jpg
    >|
    >| };O)
    >|

    > iCute :0))

    iThoughtSo2. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
    of nothing.

    DC, Oct 4, 2004
  18. DC wrote:

    > WormWood wrote:
    >

    >>"DC" <> wrote in message
    >>many
    >>|
    >>| Any comments? Okay...
    >>|
    >>| http://subvertise.org/img_med/444.jpg
    >>|
    >>| };O)
    >>|

    >>iCute :0))

    > iThoughtSo2. }:O)

    iROTFLOL

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Oct 4, 2004

    iHD: http://blinkynet.net/stuff/mac_hd.jpg

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 4, 2004
  20. WormWood

    Artemis Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > For years, I have been perplexed and mentally traumatized because I
    > cannot find the meaning of 'i' found at the beginning of names of many
    > items such as computer products, websites and others. ex: i Lumber,
    > iMax, iMac, iPod, iOmega, even a file i386, to name just a few. Can
    > anyone help me to get a good day's sleep, the first in many moons? I
    > will be most grateful for any comments. Thank in advance

    It was done to perplexed and mentally traumatize (i)diots.

    --
    Artemis

    Artemis, Oct 5, 2004