What is the logic in Skype contact list order?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jan Drew, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. Jan Drew

    Jan Drew Guest

    Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?

    I have Skype contact entries such as:
    pc Alex
    pc Barry
    pc Charles
    ph Amy
    ph Barbara
    ph Cindy

    Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
    Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.

    I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
    But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
    up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.

    What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?

    Thanks in advance,
    Cindy
    Jan Drew, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Jan Drew

    thoss Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Jan Drew wrote:

    >Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?
    >
    >I have Skype contact entries such as:
    >pc Alex
    >pc Barry
    >pc Charles
    >ph Amy
    >ph Barbara
    >ph Cindy
    >
    >Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
    >Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.
    >
    >I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
    >But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
    >up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.
    >
    >What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    >How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?

    I always see contacts currently on line at the top. Maybe the order is
    how recently they were on line.
    --
    Thoss
    thoss, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Jan Drew

    Robert Gauld Guest

    thoss wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Jan Drew wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?
    >>
    >> I have Skype contact entries such as:
    >> pc Alex
    >> pc Barry
    >> pc Charles
    >> ph Amy
    >> ph Barbara
    >> ph Cindy
    >>
    >> Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
    >> Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.
    >>
    >> I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
    >> But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
    >> up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.
    >>
    >> What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    >> How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?
    >>

    > I always see contacts currently on line at the top. Maybe the order is
    > how recently they were on line.

    Assuming that pc/ph is entered as the firstname and the name as lastname
    is it possible it's sorting by lastname then first name?
    Robert Gauld, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Jan Drew

    thoss Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Robert Gauld wrote:

    >thoss wrote:
    >> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Jan Drew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can someone explain the logic of the Skype contact list order?
    >>>
    >>> I have Skype contact entries such as:
    >>> pc Alex
    >>> pc Barry
    >>> pc Charles
    >>> ph Amy
    >>> ph Barbara
    >>> ph Cindy
    >>>
    >>> Where pc indicates a computer-to-computer connection and ph indicates a
    >>> Skype-Out computer-to-telephone connection.
    >>>
    >>> I would like the order in the contact list to be as shown above.
    >>> But, for some strange reason, the Skype contact list order is all jumbled
    >>> up. That is, it certainly isn't alphabetical.
    >>>
    >>> What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    >>> How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should be)?
    >>>

    >> I always see contacts currently on line at the top. Maybe the order is
    >> how recently they were on line.

    >Assuming that pc/ph is entered as the firstname and the name as lastname
    >is it possible it's sorting by lastname then first name?

    Could well be that, combined with how recently people were on line. At
    present I have three contacts on line, sorted in surname order. Below
    that are two or three groups of names each also sorted in surname order.
    --
    Thoss
    thoss, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Jan Drew

    SR Guest

    Jan Drew wrote in news:3ciow36kdv66.1xqivgh8a40rs$:

    > ..What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    > How does one change it to be purely alphabetical (like it should
    > be)?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Cindy

    You will probably get more technical information if you ask at
    http://forum.skype.com
    SR, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Jan Drew

    Sharon B. Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:20:06 GMT, SR wrote:
    >> ..What is the "logic" of the Skype contact list order?
    >> How does one change it to be purely alphabetical

    > You will probably get more technical information if you ask at
    > http://forum.skype.com

    I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives me
    crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because it is so
    very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone screen.

    I think my contact list order on the CIT200 seems to be those online first
    followed by my SkypeOut contacts followed by my offline contacts. This
    default contact list order makes no sense to me but that is what I think it
    is.

    I did try to run the Skype "View | Sort Contacts by Name" option but that
    doesn't seem to change the order one bit in that teeny tiny Linksys CIT200
    Skype telephone contact list screen.

    If anyone knows how to change the contact list order on the Skype
    telephone, I'd be appreciative.

    Sharon E.
    Sharon B., Sep 17, 2006
  7. Jan Drew

    thoss Guest

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 Sharon B. wrote:

    >I think my contact list order on the CIT200 seems to be those online first
    >followed by my SkypeOut contacts followed by my offline contacts. This
    >default contact list order makes no sense to me but that is what I think it
    >is.

    And within those groups, how are the names ordered? In alphabetical
    order of the second word, i.e. surname?
    --
    Thoss
    thoss, Sep 17, 2006
  8. Jan Drew

    SR Guest

    Sharon B. wrote in news::

    > I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives
    > me crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because
    > it is so very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone
    > screen.

    I don't know anything about the CIT200. Does it allow you to type names?
    For example, you would press 37 to show names beginning with "FR", like
    you can on a cell phone.
    SR, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Jan Drew

    Sharon B. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:08:39 +0100, thoss wrote:
    > And within those groups, how are the names ordered? In alphabetical
    > order of the second word, i.e. surname?

    Hi Thoss,
    The groups in Skype seem to be ordered alphabetically, starting with:
    - All Contacts
    - American Contacts
    - British Contacts
    - Canadian Contacts
    etc.

    Within any group, the order is apparently:
    - Contacts which are online at the moment (sorted alphabetially by first
    letter)
    - Contacts which are SkypeOut contacts (sorted by first letter)
    - Contacts which are offline at the moment (sorted by first letter).

    The fact this contact list moves around (depending on who is online or not)
    and the fact that the SkypeOut contacts are not next to their respective
    computer-to-computer contacts makes the whole contact list order confusing,
    at least to me.

    I still haven't figured it out. And, to judge by the responses to this
    query, neither has anyone else.

    Pity. Skype is so otherwise intuitive.
    Sharon
    Sharon B., Sep 19, 2006
  10. Jan Drew

    Sharon B. Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:48:20 GMT, SR wrote:

    > Sharon B. wrote in news::
    >
    >> I can't tell what the contact list sort order is but it sure drives
    >> me crazy using the CIT200 Linksys Skype cordless telephone because
    >> it is so very difficult to scroll in that teeny tiny telephone
    >> screen.
    >>

    > I don't know anything about the CIT200. Does it allow you to type names?
    > For example, you would press 37 to show names beginning with "FR", like
    > you can on a cell phone.

    I just tried this on the Skype cordless telephone and it does not work.
    Pity.
    Unfortunately, I have to scroll through scores of contacts just to find the
    one I need. The contact list jumps from online contacts, alphabetical, to
    skypeout contacts, alphabetical, to offline contacts alphabetical.

    I guess the logic is that offline contacts won't work so they put them on
    the bottom. But, if that logic were true (you can fake your online status),
    then why bother even listing offline contacts.

    I guess the logic in putting online contacts first is that calls to them
    are always free whereas the SkypeOut equivalent contacts for the same
    individuals would not always be free.

    So, I can understand the Skpe logic ... but I still would like a simple and
    pure alphabetical order.

    Sharon
    Sharon B., Sep 19, 2006