    -Lost
    Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.
    No I am not.

    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007

  2. -Lost wrote:

    > When you do a Google search:
    >
    > cache:http://www.google.com/

    "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
    (cache) isn't associated with any program."

    > How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
    > Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
    > ?

    Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
    attempts to spider it and can't find it. But it will likely be available
    forever at the Wayback Machine.

    http://archive.org/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 12, 2007

  3. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty's response:

    > -Lost wrote:
    >
    >> When you do a Google search:
    >>
    >> cache:http://www.google.com/

    > "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
    > (cache) isn't associated with any program."

    *blank stare*

    Um... "do a Google search?"

    >> How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
    >> Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
    >> ?

    > Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
    > attempts to spider it and can't find it.

    Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't tell me how long the cache will
    remain though. ;)

    > But it will likely be available forever at the Wayback Machine.
    >
    > http://archive.org/

    I've thanked the heavens on many occasions for the Wayback Machine.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  4. -Lost

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-12, -Lost <> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty's response:
    >
    >> -Lost wrote:
    >>
    >>> When you do a Google search:
    >>>
    >>> cache:http://www.google.com/

    >> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
    >> (cache) isn't associated with any program."

    > *blank stare*
    >
    > Um... "do a Google search?"

    cache: isn't a protocol recognised by Beauregard's Firefox but his
    news-reader seems to assume that it should be - so he gets an error
    message when he tries to follow your 'link'.

    There doesn't seem to be a generic form of URL for Google's cached pages;
    you have to be specific eg
    <http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:msSimBseHBMJ:www.onions-usa.org/ onio
    ns&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=opera>

    >>> How long is that available? Say for example a site goes offline.
    >>> Google's cache does not keep the site's cached version forever, so...
    >>> ?

    >> Google's *database* will probably stop giving hits/links to it after it
    >> attempts to spider it and can't find it.

    > Ah, that makes sense. That doesn't tell me how long the cache will
    > remain though. ;)
    >
    >> But it will likely be available forever at the Wayback Machine.
    >>
    >> http://archive.org/

    > I've thanked the heavens on many occasions for the Wayback Machine.

    Being pessimistic and pedantic this afternoon, I'd prefer to see
    'indefinitely' rather than 'forever' when refering to any archive.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 12, 2007
  5. -Lost

    Daave Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > -Lost wrote:
    >
    >> When you do a Google search:
    >>
    >> cache:http://www.google.com/

    > "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
    > (cache) isn't associated with any program."

    No, OP was mentioning Google's cache function, so you would need to put
    cache:http://www.google.com/ in Google's search window, not your
    browser's address bar!

    This would be useful if a Web page were to be temporarily unavailable,
    e.g.:

    cache:http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/col_lilacChaser/index.html

    Daave, Aug 12, 2007