What is the future of Windows XP-64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ed Morgan, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. Ed Morgan

    Ed Morgan Guest

    I was considering developing a new industrial product using Windows XP
    Embedded to get a small footprint for my O/S but find I need more than 4Gb
    of RAM. So I was considering going to a 64-bit O/S.

    I did not want to use Vista because its installed image is HUGE! But with
    recent Microsoft announcements, XP will only be available for another year.

    I have searched the Microsoft sites for information on Windows XP-64
    availability without any luck. Can anyone help answer the following
    questions or

    What is the future of Windows XP-64? Is it being replaced by Vista X64 when
    XP is no longer available next year?

    More importantly, is there a version of Windows XP-64 Embedded? If so, how
    long will it be available?

    Thanks for any insight or advice,

    Ed

    Ed Morgan, Nov 25, 2007

  2. XP x64 should be on the same life cycle as Server 2k3, so far as I know. But
    that being said, the installed base and driver support for XP x64 was never
    huge, and there certainly wasn't an embedded version that I'm aware of.

    You'd be better served by using Vista or even Windows Server 2008 Server
    Core. If you don't want a big footprint, and don't need .NET stuff, Server
    Core might be a better bet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64