What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Can we get rid of?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by S.Rodgers, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    to do anything that I can see.

    Thanks.
     
    S.Rodgers, Dec 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Re: What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Canwe get rid of?

    S.Rodgers uitte de volgende tekst op 12/12/2005 12:18:
    > Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    > before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    > What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    > real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    > to do anything that I can see.


    It means you have a plugin missing that is used on that site. Click on it.

    H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org
     
    Hendrik Maryns, Dec 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:27:50 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
    <> wrote:

    >S.Rodgers uitte de volgende tekst op 12/12/2005 12:18:
    >> Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >> before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >> What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >> real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >> to do anything that I can see.

    >
    >It means you have a plugin missing that is used on that site. Click on it.
    >
    >H.


    No, it would seem that that's what is it but it's not. That bar
    w/graphic is _always_ there even on a blank page. It was there the
    first time I installed FF v1.5 last night and I did do a fresh
    install. Mind you, although I got rid of everything from v1.0.6, I
    didn't get rid of my profiles folder.

    Any ideas?
     
    S.Rodgers, Dec 12, 2005
    #3
  4. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 06:51:42 -0500, S.Rodgers
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:27:50 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>S.Rodgers uitte de volgende tekst op 12/12/2005 12:18:
    >>> Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >>> before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >>> What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >>> real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >>> to do anything that I can see.

    >>
    >>It means you have a plugin missing that is used on that site. Click on it.
    >>
    >>H.

    >
    >No, it would seem that that's what is it but it's not. That bar
    >w/graphic is _always_ there even on a blank page. It was there the
    >first time I installed FF v1.5 last night and I did do a fresh
    >install. Mind you, although I got rid of everything from v1.0.6, I
    >didn't get rid of my profiles folder.
    >
    >Any ideas?


    Actually, I've had time to think about it. I'm guessing that it's
    actually, perhaps one of the forced extensions. This seems a good
    bet. Whenever I get a chance, I'll uninstall everything and re-load
    one by one. The first extension I put in was that one that forces
    everything to works and FF at nearly the same time, asked about
    updating them automatically. But after that I thought it wasn't a
    good idea to rely on this process in future so I went and looked for
    the updates one by one. I'll get rid of everything and install those
    instead.

    Perhaps that will do the trick.
     
    S.Rodgers, Dec 12, 2005
    #4
  5. S.Rodgers

    gwtc Guest

    Re: What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Canwe get rid of?

    S.Rodgers wrote:

    > Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    > before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    > What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    > real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    > to do anything that I can see.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    to get a better idea of what you're talking about, could you post a
    screen shot of it at: http://imageshack.us. Thanks
     
    gwtc, Dec 12, 2005
    #5
  6. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:57 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    >S.Rodgers wrote:
    >
    >> Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >> before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >> What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >> real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >> to do anything that I can see.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >to get a better idea of what you're talking about, could you post a
    >screen shot of it at: http://imageshack.us. Thanks


    Excellent service, that!

    Here is the image:
    http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffbarwithpuzzlepieceacrosstopr.gif

    In other themes, the piece could be seen better, but it's sort of cut
    off here. It is a puzzle piece.

    btw, I ran FF in safe mode and this "bar" was still there. When one
    clicks on it, nothing happens. A scrollbar just appears along the
    bottom:
    http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/360/ffbarclickedonproducesscrollba.gif

    It seems harmless enough but it would be interesting to figure out
    what it is. I suspect (hope), that when I do an OS wipe/reinstall,
    that that will no longer appear.

    Thanks.
     
    S.Rodgers, Dec 13, 2005
    #6
  7. Re: What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Canwe get rid of?

    S.Rodgers schreef:
    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:57 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >>S.Rodgers wrote:
    >>>Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >>>before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >>>What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >>>real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >>>to do anything that I can see.

    > Here is the image:
    > http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffbarwithpuzzlepieceacrosstopr.gif
    >
    > In other themes, the piece could be seen better, but it's sort of cut
    > off here. It is a puzzle piece.
    >
    > btw, I ran FF in safe mode and this "bar" was still there. When one
    > clicks on it, nothing happens. A scrollbar just appears along the
    > bottom:
    > http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/360/ffbarclickedonproducesscrollba.gif
    >
    > It seems harmless enough but it would be interesting to figure out
    > what it is. I suspect (hope), that when I do an OS wipe/reinstall,
    > that that will no longer appear.


    As I said before, it indicates you are missing a plugin that is required
    to view the page. Normally, clicking on it gives options to install
    that plugin. It seems you have some screen settings or something that
    make the bar too small to display the information. Try to find out
    which plugin you are missing and install it from
    https://pfs.mozilla.org/plugins/

    HTH, H.



    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org
     
    Hendrik Maryns, Dec 13, 2005
    #7
  8. S.Rodgers

    gwtc Guest

    Re: What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Canwe get rid of?

    S.Rodgers wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:57 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>S.Rodgers wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >>>before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >>>What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >>>real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >>>to do anything that I can see.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>
    >>to get a better idea of what you're talking about, could you post a
    >>screen shot of it at: http://imageshack.us. Thanks

    >
    >
    > Excellent service, that!
    >
    > Here is the image:
    > http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffbarwithpuzzlepieceacrosstopr.gif
    >
    > In other themes, the piece could be seen better, but it's sort of cut
    > off here. It is a puzzle piece.
    >
    > btw, I ran FF in safe mode and this "bar" was still there. When one
    > clicks on it, nothing happens. A scrollbar just appears along the
    > bottom:
    > http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/360/ffbarclickedonproducesscrollba.gif
    >
    > It seems harmless enough but it would be interesting to figure out
    > what it is. I suspect (hope), that when I do an OS wipe/reinstall,
    > that that will no longer appear.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    As someone else said its a plugin that you need. But I don't know of
    any plugin for imageshack.

    "do an OS wipe/reinstall" don't go to that extreme. Try creating a
    test profile and see if the problem continues in that one. Click on
    Start, Run and enter exactly:

    firefox.exe -p

    This will bring up the profile manager, and from there you can create
    a test profile and see if the problem continues. Let us know and we
    can go from there.
     
    gwtc, Dec 13, 2005
    #8
  9. S.Rodgers

    S.Rodgers Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:09:24 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    >S.Rodgers wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:57 -0800, gwtc
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>S.Rodgers wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >>>>before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >>>>What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >>>>real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >>>>to do anything that I can see.
    >>>>
    >>>>Thanks.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>to get a better idea of what you're talking about, could you post a
    >>>screen shot of it at: http://imageshack.us. Thanks

    >>
    >>
    >> Excellent service, that!
    >>
    >> Here is the image:
    >> http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffbarwithpuzzlepieceacrosstopr.gif
    >>
    >> In other themes, the piece could be seen better, but it's sort of cut
    >> off here. It is a puzzle piece.
    >>
    >> btw, I ran FF in safe mode and this "bar" was still there. When one
    >> clicks on it, nothing happens. A scrollbar just appears along the
    >> bottom:
    >> http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/360/ffbarclickedonproducesscrollba.gif
    >>
    >> It seems harmless enough but it would be interesting to figure out
    >> what it is. I suspect (hope), that when I do an OS wipe/reinstall,
    >> that that will no longer appear.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >As someone else said its a plugin that you need. But I don't know of
    >any plugin for imageshack.
    >
    >"do an OS wipe/reinstall" don't go to that extreme. Try creating a
    >test profile and see if the problem continues in that one. Click on
    >Start, Run and enter exactly:


    I do this periodically, whenever I need to and not just for this.
    That will get rid of the problem.

    As long as it wasn't a symptom of something that was important, which
    it doesn't seem to be. FF seems to be working fine.

    >firefox.exe -p
    >
    >This will bring up the profile manager, and from there you can create
    >a test profile and see if the problem continues. Let us know and we
    >can go from there.


    Yes. The puzzle piece is still there even in the test profile.
    Interesting. <g>
     
    S.Rodgers, Dec 14, 2005
    #9
  10. Re: What is the extra bar along top in v1.5 with puzzle image? Canwe get rid of?

    S.Rodgers schreef:
    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:09:24 -0800, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>S.Rodgers wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:47:57 -0800, gwtc
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>S.Rodgers wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Does everyone else have this? It's occurred with each theme and
    >>>>>before I put in extensions so it seems to be part of th default v1.5.
    >>>>>What does it do and is it necessary? Seems a waste of browser screen
    >>>>>real estate and I'd get rid of it if I could because it doesn't seem
    >>>>>to do anything that I can see.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Thanks.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>to get a better idea of what you're talking about, could you post a
    >>>>screen shot of it at: http://imageshack.us. Thanks
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Excellent service, that!
    >>>
    >>>Here is the image:
    >>>http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ffbarwithpuzzlepieceacrosstopr.gif
    >>>
    >>>In other themes, the piece could be seen better, but it's sort of cut
    >>>off here. It is a puzzle piece.
    >>>
    >>>btw, I ran FF in safe mode and this "bar" was still there. When one
    >>>clicks on it, nothing happens. A scrollbar just appears along the
    >>>bottom:
    >>>http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/360/ffbarclickedonproducesscrollba.gif
    >>>
    >>>It seems harmless enough but it would be interesting to figure out
    >>>what it is. I suspect (hope), that when I do an OS wipe/reinstall,
    >>>that that will no longer appear.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>
    >>As someone else said its a plugin that you need. But I don't know of
    >>any plugin for imageshack.
    >>
    >>"do an OS wipe/reinstall" don't go to that extreme. Try creating a
    >>test profile and see if the problem continues in that one. Click on
    >>Start, Run and enter exactly:

    >
    >
    > I do this periodically, whenever I need to and not just for this.
    > That will get rid of the problem.
    >
    > As long as it wasn't a symptom of something that was important, which
    > it doesn't seem to be. FF seems to be working fine.
    >
    >
    >>firefox.exe -p
    >>
    >>This will bring up the profile manager, and from there you can create
    >>a test profile and see if the problem continues. Let us know and we
    >>can go from there.

    >
    >
    > Yes. The puzzle piece is still there even in the test profile.
    > Interesting. <g>


    Not very interesting, as plugins are mostly installed installation wide,
    not on a per-profile basis. Please just look around on the plugins page
    and install the most likely (probably Java).

    H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org
     
    Hendrik Maryns, Dec 14, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Me
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,488
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,066
    Shep©
    Jul 17, 2003
  3. Guest

    HELP: Can't get rid of IE search bar

    Guest, Oct 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    560
    Noel Paton
    Dec 29, 2004
  4. Rolf

    How to get rid of extra task bar?

    Rolf, Jan 28, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,270
    John Holmes
    Jan 28, 2008
  5. sk

    A puzzle to puzzle you

    sk, Jul 17, 2004, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    674
    Geoff
    Jul 17, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page