    and is there a price difference.

    Thanks in advance

    Jamie

    Jamie, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Jamie

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Compact flash type 2 are thicker than Compact flash type 1.

    Some camera's only accept type 1.

    Microdrives are the same size as Compact flash type 2.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Oct 18, 2004

  3. I am not sure if you could tell the difference between a Type I & Type II if
    you had any by itself (at least if you're a "newbie" and haven't seen
    zillions of them before), but if you had them side-by-side you definitely
    could, as the Type II are way thicker.

    Typically, entry-level cameras which accept Compact Flash--and frankly,
    they're rare now as point & shoots are increasingly SD card based (a
    pet-peeve of mine)--but such cameras are typically going to only accept Type
    I. That's usually okay, though; now-adays, you can easily get 512 megabyte
    Type I cards and even 1 Gigabyte cards which are Type I. (There are bigger
    ones but most tend to be Type II and require a camera that has the FAT32
    storage system which not all do.) Either way, make sure it's an "approved
    card" first; some may not work even if they are Type I and physically fit,
    they may not ELECTRONICALLY be compatible.

    In my case, I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which does accept Type I or Type II,
    but I simply have a 12x Lexar 512 Megabyte Type I card (link:
    http://store.lexar.com/?category=21&subcategory=1&productid=CF512-12-251),
    and I can get more than 300 FINE-JPEGs on them, or about 70 RAWs, and it's a
    5 megapixel camera.

    Microdrives are Type II, and they were popular awhile back because it was
    uncommon for Type I cards to have 512 megabytes of capacity (to say nothing
    of the 4 and even 8 gigabyte cards you can find). Even now Microdrives are
    cheaper than Type II NON-microdrive cards of the same capacity, but me
    personally I'd rather stick with a Type I or II with no moving parts.

    A good rule of thumb follows (my own recommendations, not someone who's a
    pro, just me) in terms of what size card you should own based on your
    camera's resolution:

    Megapixels Size (Megabytes)
    ----------- ---------------
    2 64-128
    3 128-256
    4 256-512
    5 256-512
    6 512-1G
    8 1-2G

    Two years or so ago those might have been on the high-end; I mean, for
    instance, with the 2-megapixel, a 64 card will hold almost 100 phots, a 128
    about 175 photos. That's a LOT. A 32 card could hold 50, and that might be
    enough for you. With the 5-megapixel, the 256 will probably hold 150 photos,
    the 512 about 325 or so. Again, that's a lot; maybe a card that hold 50-100
    is enough for you. But to me, memory--especially Compact Flash memory--is so
    cheap, that's why now (as opposed to 2 years ago or so) I'd recommend going
    pretty large.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 18, 2004