    what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....
    cheeku, May 15, 2007

  2. cheeku

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:28:48 -0700, cheeku wrote:

    > hi...
    > what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    > service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    > higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    Different hardware, different authentication protocol. Other than that not
    very different.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, May 15, 2007

  3. cheeku

    Guest

    cheeku <> wrote:

    >hi...
    >what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    >service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    >higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    Some broadband services use NAT (too many users to few lines)
    Which acts as a natural firewall.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

    You need to research the broadband your looking at to see how they
    operate, but most likely you'll end up on a NAT system.
    Google and http://www.dslreports.com/
    --

    Vista install in 2 minutes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
  4. cheeku

    dadiOH Guest

    cheeku wrote:
    > hi...
    > what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    > service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    > higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    The thing you'd notice is that you no longer have to wait as the modem
    connects...no beep/peep/squawk/beep...as the broadband is always
    connected.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, May 15, 2007
  5. cheeku

    cheeku Guest

    On May 15, 10:10 pm, "dadiOH" <> wrote:
    > cheeku wrote:
    > > hi...
    > > what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    > > service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    > > higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    > The thing you'd notice is that you no longer have to wait as the modem
    > connects...no beep/peep/squawk/beep...as the broadband is always
    > connected.
    >
    > --
    >
    > dadiOH
    > ____________________________
    >
    > dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    > Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    --------------------
    -----------------------
    |analog modem|---------------------| analog modem |
    | (cpe) | TEL.LINE | (co) |
    --------------------
    -------------------------

    --------------------
    -----------------------
    |dsl modem |---------------------| dsl modem |
    | (cpe) | TEL.LINE | (co) |
    --------------------
    -------------------------

    is this the only differnce in hardware between dlal-up internet and
    dsl,or are there any other changes on the central office side.
    if this is the only difference ,then the protocols used for dial-up
    internet can be used for dsl as well.....right?
    somebody correct me plz.........
    plz refer some documents with figures that give the architecture used
    for dial-up internet and dsl based internet access.
    thankyou
    cheeku, May 15, 2007
  6. cheeku wrote:

    > hi...
    > what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    > service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    > higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    You cannot send and receive faxes over broadband - and you are protected
    from old-fashioned dialer trojans as well.
    Some "broadband modems" are just network bridges, giving you a public ip
    address which you may use to provide some services to your friends, or even
    reach your pc from a internet cafe on the road. However, beware of the
    crackers - your pc will be scanned for vulnerabilities and weak passwords.
    You should not enable "ms network client" (file and print sharing) on the
    network interface with the internet connection. XP firewall should be
    enabled, and a good virus+spyware-scanner is a must-have.
    Some other broadband providers supply "modems" that are actually a router
    with dhcp server, and give away non-public ip addresses.
    There is nothing to configure, just plug in your network cable.
    You cannot be reached from "outside" without tricks, then.
    Walter Mautner, May 15, 2007
  7. cheeku

    Ron Martell Guest

    cheeku <> wrote:

    >is this the only differnce in hardware between dlal-up internet and
    >dsl,or are there any other changes on the central office side.
    >if this is the only difference ,then the protocols used for dial-up
    >internet can be used for dsl as well.....right?

    No. Completely different technology. DSL is an additional signal
    that is carried on the same wires as the analog telephone signal.

    The DSL modem processes the digital signal and ignores the analog.
    Filters are typically placed in front of telephones connected to DSL
    lines so that only the analog telephone signals get through to them.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, May 16, 2007
  8. cheeku

    cheeku Guest

    On May 16, 12:33 pm, Ron Martell <> wrote:
    > cheeku <> wrote:
    >
    > >is this the only differnce in hardware between dlal-up internet and
    > >dsl,or are there any other changes on the central office side.
    > >if this is the only difference ,then the protocols used for dial-up
    > >internet can be used for dsl as well.....right?

    > No. Completely different technology. DSL is an additional signal
    > that is carried on the same wires as the analog telephone signal.
    >
    > The DSL modem processes the digital signal and ignores the analog.
    > Filters are typically placed in front of telephones connected to DSL
    > lines so that only the analog telephone signals get through to them.

    ya.... i agree.... but there is change in the physical layer
    alone.....right?
    as far as i know dsl corresponds to physical layer ...right?
    so.....why should the upper layer protocols be changed.

    cheeku, May 16, 2007
  9. cheeku

    dadiOH Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > cheeku wrote:
    >
    >> hi...
    >> what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    >> service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    >> higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    > You cannot send and receive faxes over broadband

    Wel, I don't but my wife does. Via DSL.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, May 16, 2007
  10. cheeku

    why? Guest

    On 16 May 2007 08:56:00 -0700, cheeku wrote:

    >On May 16, 12:33 pm, Ron Martell <> wrote:
    >> cheeku <> wrote:

    Homework question.

    >> >is this the only differnce in hardware between dlal-up internet and
    >> >dsl,or are there any other changes on the central office side.
    >> >if this is the only difference ,then the protocols used for dial-up
    >> >internet can be used for dsl as well.....right?

    >> No. Completely different technology. DSL is an additional signal
    >> that is carried on the same wires as the analog telephone signal.
    >>
    >> The DSL modem processes the digital signal and ignores the analog.
    >> Filters are typically placed in front of telephones connected to DSL
    >> lines so that only the analog telephone signals get through to them.

    I want to know how blah blah blah works..

    >ya.... i agree.... but there is change in the physical layer
    >alone.....right?
    >as far as i know dsl corresponds to physical layer ...right?
    >so.....why should the upper layer protocols be changed.

    ...so I will jump right into physical layer discussions.

    Why wouldn't the upper layer protocols change, remember it won't be all
    of them.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line
    >>
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    <snip left over sig>

    Me
    why?, May 16, 2007
  11. dadiOH wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> cheeku wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi...
    >>> what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    >>> service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    >>> higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    >> You cannot send and receive faxes over broadband

    > Wel, I don't but my wife does. Via DSL.

    DSL still has the underlaying POTS, or ISDN, and I suppose your wife uses
    one of them to actually send and receive faxes.

    Walter Mautner, May 17, 2007
  12. cheeku

    Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:...
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >
    > > Walter Mautner wrote:

    > >> You cannot send and receive faxes over broadband

    > > Wel, I don't but my wife does. Via DSL.
    > >

    > DSL still has the underlaying POTS, or ISDN, and I suppose your wife uses
    > one of them to actually send and receive faxes.
    >
    > --
    > vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    > on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    > incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    > Linux 2.6.17mm,Xorg7.2/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    , May 19, 2007
  13. cheeku

    ProfGene Guest

    Re: what is the difference between dial up internet and broadbandservice

    cheeku wrote:
    > hi...
    > what is the difference between dial up internet and broadband
    > service...how isit differrent in working.....i know that dsl offers
    > higher speeds....but how are they different in operation .....

    Broadband can be even ten times faster than DSL which is much faster
    than dial up. They work on dedicated lines instead of sharing the phone
    lines. And the DSL is a higher speed line than the regular phone lines.
    ProfGene, May 27, 2007