    zxcvar Guest

    Geetings! What is the differences betweeen A series, G series and S
    series of Canon cameras? With thanks.

    zxcvar, Sep 7, 2003

  2. zxcvar

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Geetings! What is the differences betweeen A series, G series and S
    > series of Canon cameras? With thanks.

    A series -- base models
    S series -- middle range
    G series -- top of the point and shoot line

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 7, 2003

  3. I do not fully agree, Todd. The S45 and S50 are listed along with the
    G3 and G5 on the Canon web site as high end digital cameras. The S400
    is listed as a basic model.

    More specifically it should read:

    G series: Fully featured cameras not sacrificing features for size.
    S series: Canon's most compact digital cameras. Features will vary.
    A series: entry level cameras

    Todd Walker <> wrote

    Monica Krowley, Sep 8, 2003
  4. (Monica Krowley) writes:

    >More specifically it should read:

    >G series: Fully featured cameras not sacrificing features for size.
    >S series: Canon's most compact digital cameras. Features will vary.
    >A series: entry level cameras

    However, there are TWO different S series. The ones with 2 numbers in
    the name (S40, S45, S50) are actually just "more pocketable" cameras
    that retain many of the features of the G-series cameras. In
    particular, they have full manual exposure control.

    The S-series camera with 3 numbers in the name (S100, S200, S230, S400)
    are the particularly compact cameras. These are "auto only" small
    cameras, and really not comparable to the other S series at all.

    The A series is also divided into two. The 2-digit ones can be quite
    capable cameras with manual modes and zoom lenses, despite being "entry
    level". The 3-digit ones are simpler cameras with fixed focal length
    lenses.

    So it's best to think of Canon as having five lines of non-SLR digital
    cameras. Representative models are G5, S50, S400, A80, A300.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 9, 2003