What is the dif?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZG9ubmEgZA==?=, Nov 19, 2006.

  1. New to this. Just bought my daughter a notebook that has xp media center.
    Her school requires XP Pro SP2 or better. Not sure what to do. Thanks. DD
     
    =?Utf-8?B?ZG9ubmEgZA==?=, Nov 19, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. donna d wrote:
    > New to this. Just bought my daughter a notebook that has xp media center.
    > Her school requires XP Pro SP2 or better. Not sure what to do. Thanks. DD



    It would depend entirely upon the reason that the school requires WinXP
    Pro. WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does
    _everything_ WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains
    additional multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.

    Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp

    If the school requires that your daughter's computer have the
    capability of becoming a member of the school's domain, then you'll have
    to purchase a copy of WinXP Pro, and replace the WinXP MCE.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

    Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell
     
    Bruce Chambers, Nov 19, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZG9ubmEgZA==?=

    Theo Guest

    I'm glad I read this one. I have been contemplating a new
    laptop and I see that a lot of them have MCE installed. I
    was not aware of the inability to join a domain. I will
    definitely not be getting anything with MCE on it!

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > donna d wrote:
    >> New to this. Just bought my daughter a notebook that has xp media
    >> center. Her school requires XP Pro SP2 or better. Not sure what to
    >> do. Thanks. DD

    >
    >
    > It would depend entirely upon the reason that the school requires
    > WinXP Pro. WinXP Media Center Edition is a _superset_ (iow, it does
    > _everything_ WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains
    > additional multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.
    >
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp
    >
    > If the school requires that your daughter's computer have the
    > capability of becoming a member of the school's domain, then you'll have
    > to purchase a copy of WinXP Pro, and replace the WinXP MCE.
    >
    >
     
    Theo, Nov 19, 2006
    #3
  4. Theo wrote:

    >I'm glad I read this one. I have been contemplating a new laptop and I
    >see that a lot of them have MCE installed. I was not aware of the
    >inability to join a domain. I will definitely not be getting anything
    >with MCE on it!


    Part of the restriction is price (MCE is cheaper than Pro), part is
    functionality (MCE extenders use Fast User Switching capabilities in the
    MCE - FUS is off in a domain environment).

    If you're prepared to reinstall MCE, it can join a domain during setup
    (assuming the nic is properly detected), or there's something called the
    "banana hack" which is supposed to work on an existing installation.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 20, 2006
    #4
  5. Bruce Chambers wrote:

    >donna d wrote:
    >>New to this. Just bought my daughter a notebook that has xp media center.
    >> Her school requires XP Pro SP2 or better. Not sure what to do. Thanks. DD

    >
    >
    > It would depend entirely upon the reason that the school requires WinXP
    >Pro. WinXP Media Center Edition is a superset (iow, it does everything
    >WinXP Pro can do (except join a domain), plus contains additional
    >multi-media features) of WinXP Pro.
    >
    >Windows XP Media Center Edition Home
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp
    >
    > If the school requires that your daughter's computer have the capability
    >of becoming a member of the school's domain, then you'll have to purchase
    >a copy of WinXP Pro, and replace the WinXP MCE.


    If the school wants to make computers they don't own part of the domain,
    I'd be inclined to deliberately buy an OS that didn't support domains!

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups.
     
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 20, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Use.Netuser.de

    Test PC SP/DIF to Dolby Decoder

    Use.Netuser.de, Dec 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    5,650
    °Mike°
    Dec 8, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page