    Short of reinstalling the computer, does anyone have any suggestions of
    identifying the source of the program that's using this bandwidth?

    TIA

    MC, May 8, 2005

  2. MC

    MC Guest

    BTW, the computer has the latest update of anti virus and anti spyware.

    Thanks again

    MC, May 8, 2005

  3. "MC" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My computer started to do sonething strange- it has started to download
    > all by itself. I have no idea what it's downloading. All I can find out is
    > the DU Meter shows download acitivities of between 40 and 60 mbps. I have
    > installed NetLimiter which I was hoping it would be able to identify the
    > program that it's using that part of the bandwidth but it reports no
    > downloading activities.
    >
    > Short of reinstalling the computer, does anyone have any suggestions of
    > identifying the source of the program that's using this bandwidth?

    You use the tools in the link like Active Ports to spot the connection to
    the remote IP and what program is making the connection. The you use
    something like Process Explorer to see what's using the running process as
    the program/process may only be the host for the actual culprit that is
    doing it.

    With PE, in the upper pane you select a running process and right-click it
    and select Properties and it will tell you everything about the running
    process.

    You can go to menu View/Show Lower Pane and Show all Dll(s) and PE will show
    you everything that running and using the process.

    You can right-click in the lower pane too to select the Properties.

    PE and AP are free.

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 8, 2005
  4. And your operating system is???

    Assuming it is a version of Windows, it maybe the automatic updates, it
    could by a program of yours automatically downloading updates. Have you
    installed all the latest updates? For how long does the DU Meter show
    activity? Does it do it everyday?

    Atlas Shrugged, May 8, 2005
  5. MC

    MC Guest

    It's on a Windows 2003 120 Days Evaluation. The critical updates are all up
    to date. It will start to download something as soon as the computer is
    switched on

    Thanks again

    MC, May 8, 2005
  6. MC

    Gene Abner Guest

    Get rid of SP2! Its cr*p!!!!!

    Gene Abner, May 8, 2005
  7. MC

    Guest Guest

    "MC" <> wrote in message
    > It's on a Windows 2003 120 Days Evaluation. The critical updates are
    > all up to date. It will start to download something as soon as the
    > computer is switched on
    >
    > Thanks again
    >

    > "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote in message
    >> And your operating system is???
    >>
    >> Assuming it is a version of Windows, it maybe the automatic updates,
    >> it could by a program of yours automatically downloading updates.
    >> Have you installed all the latest updates? For how long does the DU
    >> Meter show activity? Does it do it everyday?
    >>

    >> "MC" <> wrote in message
    >>> BTW, the computer has the latest update of anti virus and anti
    >>> spyware.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again
    >>>
    >>> "MC" <> wrote in message

    So to where does your firewall logs say you are connecting, and which
    process is doing the connection?

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    Guest, May 8, 2005
  8. MC wrote:

    > It's on a Windows 2003 120 Days Evaluation. The critical updates are all
    > up to date. It will start to download something as soon as the computer is
    > switched on

    Have you simply tried "netstat -a" in a command (cmd) window, while
    deliberately keeping all other connections (like mail, browser, download
    manager) closed?

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, May 8, 2005
  9. MC

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 09:32:14 GMT, "MC" <> wrote:

    >All I can find out is the DU Meter shows download acitivities of between 40 and 60 mbps.

    Wow.. that's one fat pipe you have coming into your house...

    Evan Platt, May 8, 2005
  10. MC

    relic Guest

    Gene Abner wrote:
    > Get rid of SP2! Its cr*p!!!!!

    You are an idiot. We all know it, why do you feel the need to reinforce it?

    Would you mind explaining for the rest of us why you think SP2 for Server
    2003 is bad... or even better, please explain why you believe there *IS* an
    SP2 for Windows Server 2003.

    --
    If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

    relic, May 8, 2005
  11. MC

    MC Guest

    I mean kbps!!!

    MC, May 8, 2005
  12. "MC" <> wrote in message
    >I mean kbps!!!

    Well whatever it is you don't have a *clue*. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 8, 2005
  13. See if this helps
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...IIS/f9d7ad63-f929-4a33-af32-8cbb33c51f30.mspx

    Atlas Shrugged, May 8, 2005
  14. relic wrote:
    > Gene Abner wrote:
    > > Get rid of SP2! Its cr*p!!!!!

    > You are an idiot. We all know it, why do you feel the need to

    reinforce it?

    > Would you mind explaining for the rest of us why you think SP2 for

    Server
    > 2003 is bad... or even better, please explain why you believe there

    *IS* an
    > SP2 for Windows Server 2003.

    Because he is a windows user!

    * * * Y o u r . S h e p h e r d . A q u i , May 8, 2005
  15. MC

    pudj Guest

    "Gene Abner" <> wrote in message
    > Get rid of SP2! Its cr*p!!!!!
    > "MC" <> wrote in message
    >> It's on a Windows 2003 120 Days Evaluation. The critical updates are
    >> all up to date. It will start to download something as soon as the
    >> computer is switched on
    >>
    >> Thanks again
    >>

    >> "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote in message
    >>> And your operating system is???
    >>>
    >>> Assuming it is a version of Windows, it maybe the automatic updates,
    >>> it could by a program of yours automatically downloading updates. Have
    >>> you installed all the latest updates? For how long does the DU
    >>> Meter show activity? Does it do it everyday?
    >>>

    >>> "MC" <> wrote in message

    check your firewall see what has access or install a firewall if you havent
    already and set it to prompt before allowing .

    pudj, May 9, 2005