    John Navas Guest

    Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    have roughly 17 days free.
    John Navas, Apr 12, 2004

  2. John Navas

    Keeger Guest

    (John Navas) wrote:

    >Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    >have roughly 17 days free.

    One carry-on size bag.
    One Eurail pass.
    No itinerary.

    http://www.regimechangeusa.org/
    Keeger, Apr 12, 2004

  3. John Navas

    Howie Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    > Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > have roughly 17 days free.

    Do you want to relax, John. Or are you seeking adventure. My first trip
    to Europe was for 15 days; and it was perfect for me.

    Flew to Paris and stayed three days (on left bank). Took the train bleu
    (overnight in a first class sleeper) to nice. Spent two days on the
    French Riviera. Took the train to Rome and spent two nights. Took the
    train to Florence and spent two nights. Took the train to Lucerne,
    Switzerland and spent two nights. Took the train back to Paris and
    spent another three nights (on right bank). If you're into art,
    history, romance, cities, and adventure, this is one fine way to do it.

    If your interested in seeing the countryside and more rural areas, you
    might rent a car and drive rather than train.

    If you want to travel around the Med, then a cruise would be a wonderful
    choice.

    If you really want to chill and see some of Europe, a transatlantic
    repositioning cruise is perfect; and 17 days is just the right amount of
    time for this.

    Howie
    Howie, Apr 12, 2004
  4. John Navas

    Howie Guest

    Keeger wrote:

    > (John Navas) wrote:
    >

    >>Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    >>have roughly 17 days free.

    > One carry-on size bag.
    > One Eurail pass.
    > No itinerary.

    Works for me, K.

    Howie
    Howie, Apr 12, 2004
  5. John Navas

    Tom & Linda Guest

    To me it boils down to a few points.

    A cruise is a very easy way (nearly seamless) of getting to different places
    within Europe. You'll get a full variety of places. It's very Stress
    Free... if that's important.

    A land vacation that visits a few places means that you have to schlep your
    stuff around - a hassle.

    The disadvantage of a cruise is that you don't see a lot of any one place.
    The advantage is that you see more places. But if you want to spend time in
    a city (like Paris or London) you'll need to get a hotel there for a few
    days.

    One recommendation. Why not do both? Find a cruise like the 10 night
    sailing that we're doing out of Rome. We fly into Rome and then by ship we
    visit Naples, Mykonos and Santorini in the Greek Isles, Malta, Barcelona,
    Monte Carlo, and back to Rome. Celebrity Galaxy. Then give yourself a week
    in Rome to see that city and Florence. Maybe catch a train up to Venice.

    A second recommendation. Northern Europe. Either Scandinavia and Russia by
    cruise ship, or the British Isles and Norwegian Fjords by cruise ship.

    If you want land, the first 3 biggies in Europe are usually London, Paris
    and Rome. Other favorite places include the Swiss/French/German Alps,
    Prague, Vienna, Brussels, Munich (Oktoberfest), St. Andrews (in Scotland if
    you golf).

    I think you need to figure out what kinds of things you want to do in
    Europe.

    Also, this summer is the Olympics in Greece. That should cause a few travel
    issues if you're in that vicinity.

    --Tom

    Tom & Linda, Apr 13, 2004
  6. John Navas

    Dave Smith Guest

    Keeger wrote:

    > (John Navas) wrote:
    >
    > >Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > >have roughly 17 days free.

    > One carry-on size bag.
    > One Eurail pass.
    > No itinerary.

    That is how I did my first trip to Europe and I had a great time.
    Dave Smith, Apr 13, 2004
  7. John Navas

    jcoulter Guest

    (John Navas) wrote in

    > Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > have roughly 17 days free.

    You should book round trip tickets for me and you and then stay at a few of
    my favorite hotels (separate rooms) see Paris and florence and Rome and
    reat in a few of my favorite restaurants, I know I'll be lovin' it and not
    at McDo
    jcoulter, Apr 13, 2004
  8. John Navas

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    > Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > have roughly 17 days free.

    Fly. Much more to see and do IN Europe than on a cruise ship.
    Ron Hunter, Apr 13, 2004
  9. John Navas

    st Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:00 GMT, Keeger <> wrote:

    > (John Navas) wrote:
    >
    >>Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    >>have roughly 17 days free.

    >One carry-on size bag.
    >One Eurail pass.
    >No itinerary.

    I can't endore this post enough.
    st, Apr 13, 2004
  10. John Navas

    Hatunen Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:23:34 +1000, st <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:18:00 GMT, Keeger <> wrote:
    >
    >> (John Navas) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    >>>have roughly 17 days free.

    >>One carry-on size bag.
    >>One Eurail pass.
    >>No itinerary.

    >I can't endore this post enough.

    Is that supposed to be "endure" or "endorse"?

    ************* DAVE HATUNEN () *************
    Hatunen, Apr 13, 2004
  11. John Navas

    Bill Smith Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > Price is no object.

    Well, lucky old you, then!
    Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?
    What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
    Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
    Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
    different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
    characteristics and attractions.
    A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
    cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
    entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round a
    seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks are like
    most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not have a lot
    of time to experience "Europe".
    Your alternative to a cruise sounds uncomfortably like the stereotypical
    "if it's Tuesday this must be Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting
    (for you) destination, or two, or even three, but not more - 17 days
    doesn't allow much "experiencing" - and come back next year if you
    enjoyed this trip.
    Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
    destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
    drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

    btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" - or else his
    humour is way above me.
    Bill Smith, Apr 13, 2004
  12. John Navas

    st Guest

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:39:45 -0600, Hatunen <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:23:34 +1000, st <> wrote:

    >>>One carry-on size bag.
    >>>One Eurail pass.
    >>>No itinerary.

    >>I can't endore this post enough.

    >Is that supposed to be "endure" or "endorse"?

    endorse. my bad.
    st, Apr 13, 2004
  13. John Navas wrote:
    > Price is no object.

    Well, lucky old you, then!
    > Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly?

    What's the purpose of the vacation, to relax, or to see some of Europe?
    Have you no country/regional preferences? - There's no such place as
    Britain, or France, or Germany, as every country has interesting,
    different, cities and rural/"scenic" areas, all with their individual
    characteristics and attractions.
    A cruise would be relaxing for many, but not for me - the idea of being
    cooped up in a boat, however well-provided with facilities and
    entertainment, and "let out' once in a while for a quick dash round
    *another* seaport I didn't personally choose would be hell! Most docks
    are like most other docks, and from the brochures I've read you'd not
    have a lot of time to experience "Europe".
    Your alternative to a cruise sounds as if you're thinking of something
    uncomfortably like the stereotypical "if it's Tuesday this must be
    Rome" jaunt. Why not choose an interesting (for you) destination, or
    two, or even three, but not more - 17 days doesn't allow much
    "experiencing" - not too far apart from each other, and come back to
    different places another year if you enjoyed this trip.
    Use some of your unlimited funds and buy some books, choose your
    destinations with care, and then fly to Europe (where's that??) and
    drive or take the train to see your chosen bits.

    (btw, is Frank ess *real*? Suspect it should be "ass" (US) - or else his
    humour is way above me.)
    Leven Community Council, Apr 13, 2004
  14. John Navas

    Bill Smith Guest

    John Navas wrote:
    > Price is no object.

    Well, lucky old you, then!

    Bill Smith, Apr 13, 2004
  15. John Navas

    Iceman Guest

    (John Navas) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > have roughly 17 days free.

    Choose one country and really see it, spending lots of time in places,
    meeting local people, and getting off the tourist trail. Italy,
    Spain, or France would be a good choice.

    If you do want to visit mutliple countries, consider spending five
    days each in London/Paris/Rome, London/Paris/Amsterdam,
    London/Paris/Barcelona, or Berlin/Prague/Vienna. Using those as a
    base, you could take day trips to smaller towns nearby.

    The problem with cruises is that you don't have nearly enough time in
    the ports to really experience them. What do you do with four hours
    in Rome or Barcelona? Three days wouldn't be enough.
    Iceman, Apr 13, 2004
  16. > >>...relaxing ...
    > >One carry-on size bag.
    > >One Eurail pass.
    > >No itinerary.

    > I can't endore this post enough.

    Well, I'd "endorse" it, myself.
    :cool:
    [... and, I'm in a position to tease you because I, of course, I never make
    typos!]

    My only consideration is the "relaxing" part. My recent favorite European
    excursions have been with "one carry-on size bag" and "no itinerary" [... I
    haven't done the "Eurail pass" thing in such a looooong time I sort of
    forget the "pros and cons"... I think I haven't hit enough different spots
    in one trip to make it worthwhile lately] but "relaxing" isn't the first
    descriptor I'd use for those trips. To be honest, I don't make much effort
    to relax while in Europe. I wonder if a combination of 10 days on land,
    followed by a 7 day cruise would work? I've done a trip like that [actually
    a few weeks, mostly "city-hopping", there, and a "crossing" to get home],
    and, though I was a bit weary when I boarded the ship, I was very relaxed by
    the time I got home.

    By the way, that "Price is no object" has me "green with envy"!!!

    Mila

    BTC/TAK on ACK, Apr 13, 2004
  17. John Navas

    Mike Quint Guest

    Definitely I would Railpass. Make a rough itinerary but be flexible. I have
    gotten off the train many of times just because the place looked
    interesting. I once did this with a backpack and I bought a bike in Germany.
    Bikes can be checked yourself on most trains for about $1. Just bring them
    to the baggage car and hang them by the front wheel.
    http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e
    This is a site for train schedules, I usually take long overnight trains. Do
    not miss Zermatt Switzerland. and you might be able to schedule Munich in
    late September for Oktoberfest.
    I said you should make an itinerary of places that would be nice to see,
    just as a guide line. Rick Steves books are also great guides.
    The advantage to cruising is that right now the US dollar is very low,
    making Europe more expensive, cruising makes the exchanging of money a
    little less important.

    Mike -- I really love cruising but sometimes a railpass is just more fun.

    Mike Quint, Apr 13, 2004
  18. John Navas

    mtravelkay Guest

    Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > Cisco troll/netkook Michael Voight mtravelkay <> trolled with
    > another stupid question from work:

    I don't know how this happened as I didn't even post my response in
    alt.visa.marriage-based or rec.photo.digital Nomen, can you provide an
    example of anything "on topic" that you have ever posted? The original
    poster asked about flying or cruising to Europe. I answered in the
    groups posted to, except the digital photo one, because it wasn't
    relevant. You response not only included the digital photo group, but
    also a marriage based group.
    Oh, by the way, in addition to responding to this, I am also looking out
    the window.... In fact, I might even get up and grab a Coke out of the
    fridge, AND NOT EVEN PAY MY EMPLOYER FOR IT.... Or, I might play some
    pool or ping pong. I may even take a shower in the company shower.
    Should I record all of the time I spend taking a break and send it to
    you? To be honest... at least once, I have looked at a web site that was
    not work related. Oh yeah, about 26 years ago while working as a C.O.
    for the Illinois Dept of Corrections, I even wore my uniform coat and
    badge outside of working hours. Sometimes at work, I even think about
    retirement..... pssst.. don't tell the boss. But seriously, even you
    have noted that I seem to be at work all hours of the day and night, so
    maybe I actually spend some of this time working.
    mtravelkay, Apr 13, 2004
  19. John Navas

    Guest

    Keeger wrote:

    > (John Navas) wrote:
    >
    > >Price is no object. Would a cruise be more relaxing or should I fly? I
    > >have roughly 17 days free.

    > One carry-on size bag.
    > One Eurail pass.
    > No itinerary.

    > http://www.regimechangeusa.org/

    HAVE TO second this post. Rail is THE way to travel in Europe--fast,
    prompt, mostly first class. Not to snub river cruises, or the cruises
    from Finland to Russia: if you really want to see a LOT of the country,
    and countries, rail is the way.

    You'll find most European cities are great for walking to sight-see, so
    take good, comfortable walking shoes. Rain gear is essential, as well.

    Go for street food: crepes in Paris, demi-baguettes from boulangeries
    (nibble on the bread as you walk along the streets--the natives do!);
    fries with Sate' in Amsterdam; sausages in Zurich; pizza (yeah, really!)
    in Rome! AND, you gotta sip a cafe grande or glass of wine while
    sitting in a sidewalk cafe. Now, THAT'S the way to see Europe.

    You will also find that most cities have multi-day, unlimited passes for
    their mass transit. Great for when the ole dogs get tired after walking
    forever!

    Enjoy!
    , Apr 14, 2004
  20. John Navas

    vmkng3 Guest

    If you call a store and ask for a best suite, price no object, without
    giving any relative details, like your size, purpose of suite - formal,
    business, casual, winter or summer, IT WILL BE A JOKE.

    However , if someone asks a travel question in basically same manner on
    Usenet, I do not know if this was a serious question or a joke.

    Probably it is a joke.

    Have a nice trip.

    vmkng3, Apr 15, 2004