    So what should I do?

    Thanks

    Mike
    Mikey, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Mikey

    def456 Guest

    "Mikey" <> wrote in message
    news:ylLRh.4948$...
    >I know you should NEVER blow in the drive, and am now hearing the cleaner
    >with the small brush is no good either.
    >
    > So what should I do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Take it apart, carefully. Try not to break anything. :) If you've got an old
    broken optical drive available, you can practice on it. I did, and it was a
    good idea because I broke something in the process.
    Clean the laser lens gently with alcohol on a chamois swab. Clean the slider
    mechanism and lubricate lightly with Cat. No. 64-2301A Archer Precision
    Lubricator w/Teflon from Radio Shack.
    At least that's what I've been told. I don't know how well it would work for
    an old man with shakey hands and a tendency to drop things. :)
    def456, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Mikey

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 10:08:05 -0500, "def456" <> Gave
    us:

    >"Mikey" <> wrote in message
    >>I know you should NEVER blow in the drive, and am now hearing the cleaner
    >>with the small brush is no good either.
    >>
    >> So what should I do?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mike

    >Take it apart, carefully. Try not to break anything. :) If you've got an old
    >broken optical drive available, you can practice on it. I did, and it was a
    >good idea because I broke something in the process.

    Idiot!

    >Clean the laser lens gently with alcohol on a chamois swab.

    Retard! Use optical quality cleaning aids sold in camera shops!

    > Clean the slider
    >mechanism and lubricate lightly with Cat. No. 64-2301A Archer Precision
    >Lubricator w/Teflon from Radio Shack.

    Bwuahahahahaha! What a joke.

    >At least that's what I've been told.

    Why are you relating information which you haven't proven the
    efficacy of?

    > I don't know how well it would work for
    >an old man with shakey hands and a tendency to drop things. :)

    Drop the idea that you can give worthy advice, and refrain from
    attempting to do so in the future.
    MassiveProng, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Mikey

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Mikey <> wrote:
    > I know you should NEVER blow in the drive, and am now hearing the cleaner
    > with the small brush is no good either.

    Blowing in the drive is a bad idea (either with your mouth, or those cans
    of compressed air.)

    Try cleaning the DVD first. Take a soft cloth - like one you would for
    cleaning your glasses - and GENTLY stroke from the center of the disc
    outwards to the edge. Use several strokes, doing on a portion of the disc
    at a time. I usually hold the disc with a finger in the hole, and holding
    my thumb against the edge, so I can easily rotate the disc. Examine the
    disc carefully for any scratches. There are different methods reccomended
    for fixing scratches, but unless you've got a really deep one, I tend to
    just leave the disc alone. I wouldn't reccomend using something like
    "DVD Doctor" as I've heard it can damage the disc more, instead of fixing
    it.

    If that doesn't fix the problem, then the drive probably needs cleaning.
    You can do this yourself, but you do run the risk of voiding your warranty
    on the player (if it's still active) You also run the risk of damaging
    the player as well if you aren't careful. So if the idea of opening your
    player and mucking around with its guts makes you queasy, take the player
    to an independent electronics store in your area and have them service
    it. The manufacturer of your player can reccomend certified shops in your
    area (check the manufacturer's website.) However, be aware it'll probably
    cost you $50-75 if your player is out of warranty, so you may want to
    consider buying a new player...

    Otherwise, you'll want to carefully open your player and get to the drive
    mechanism to clean it. Be sure you unplug the player before opening it -
    and also - ground yourself. You don't want any static charge from your
    body frying the electronics inside the player. Use a grounding strap if
    you have one (you can find these are electronic parts stores for like a
    buck) or just touch something metal that's already grounded, such as a
    metal table leg before you start operating on your player.

    For once, MassiveProng has some good advice, even though he wraps his
    normal insults around it. Basically, clean the drive lens as you would a
    camera lens. Remove any dust or debris from the drive, and ensure that
    the lens arm can move smoothly. Be gentle as you don't want to
    knock the lens out of alignment and defintely don't get fingerprints on
    the lens! You may want to wear gloves, but make sure they're not the
    powdered type, as you don't want to get the taculm powder all over the
    inside of the player or the drive. ;) While you're inside the player, try
    to remove any excess dust. Don't use your vacuum cleaner. Just use a
    soft cloth or brush designed for cleaning electronics to gently remove the
    dust.

    --
    Win cash and giftcards just for clicking your mouse!
    http://www.netwinner.com/?signupCode=amuro98
    Doug Jacobs, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Mikey

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:51:54 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> Gave us:

    >Try cleaning the DVD first.

    Fucking retard!

    If you NEVER touch your DVDs, they NEVER need to be "cleaned".

    Your advice is more retarded than even you are.

    Then, your retarded ass goes on to bring even more noise into the
    group by corresponding with the auktards.

    Good job, dumbfuck.
    MassiveProng, Apr 13, 2007
  6. Mikey

    Blue Buy Yoo Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:51:54 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>Try cleaning the DVD first.

    > Fucking retard!
    >
    > If you NEVER touch your DVDs, they NEVER need to be "cleaned".
    >
    > Your advice is more retarded than even you are.
    >
    > Then, your retarded ass goes on to bring even more noise into the
    > group by corresponding with the auktards.
    >
    > Good job, dumbfuck.

    Idiot!

    If you never touch your DVDs, how do you get them into the DVD player?

    Oh ya! Use your massive prong!

    BBY
    Blue Buy Yoo, Apr 13, 2007
  7. Mikey

    MassiveProng Guest

    On 13 Apr 2007 17:38:21 GMT, "Blue Buy Yoo" <>
    Gave us:

    >"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:51:54 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    >> <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>Try cleaning the DVD first.

    >> Fucking retard!
    >>
    >> If you NEVER touch your DVDs, they NEVER need to be "cleaned".
    >>
    >> Your advice is more retarded than even you are.
    >>
    >> Then, your retarded ass goes on to bring even more noise into the
    >> group by corresponding with the auktards.
    >>
    >> Good job, dumbfuck.

    >Idiot!
    >
    >If you never touch your DVDs, how do you get them into the DVD player?
    >
    >Oh ya! Use your massive prong!
    >
    >BBY

    The remarks refer to the optical read surface, you fucking retard.

    I wouldn't expect a twit like you to get it though.
    MassiveProng, Apr 13, 2007
  8. Mikey

    Blue Buy Yoo Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On 13 Apr 2007 17:38:21 GMT, "Blue Buy Yoo" <>
    > Gave us:
    >

    >>"MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >>message news:...
    >>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:51:54 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    >>> <> Gave us:

    >>> Fucking retard!
    >>>
    >>> If you NEVER touch your DVDs, they NEVER need to be "cleaned".
    >>>
    >>> Your advice is more retarded than even you are.
    >>>
    >>> Then, your retarded ass goes on to bring even more noise into the
    >>> group by corresponding with the auktards.
    >>>
    >>> Good job, dumbfuck.

    >>Idiot!
    >>
    >>If you never touch your DVDs, how do you get them into the DVD player?
    >>
    >>Oh ya! Use your massive prong!
    >>
    >>BBY
    >>

    > The remarks refer to the optical read surface, you fucking retard.
    >
    > I wouldn't expect a twit like you to get it though.

    Don't get your panties in a bunch. Some girls just can't take a joke.

    BBY
    Blue Buy Yoo, Apr 13, 2007
  9. Mikey

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    MassiveProng <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:51:54 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    > <> Gave us:

    > >Try cleaning the DVD first.

    > Fucking retard!

    > If you NEVER touch your DVDs, they NEVER need to be "cleaned".

    Many times that I've had a player refuse to play a disc, it was because
    the disc was dirty and somewhat scratched. These were discs I'd gotten
    from Netflix or the library. Cleaning the disc - not the player - fixed
    the problem and was a lot easier to do.

    Now then, would you like to reply and shove your other foot into your
    mouth?

    > Your advice is more retarded than even you are.

    If you noticed, I did refer to your post as having some good points in
    it. But if you want to call yourself retarded, well, there's nothing I
    can do about that.

    Yes, yes. I know that all you're really capable of is impotent barking at
    everyone's ankles. Your posts already have no value - and no matter how
    many times you reply to anyone who posts here, "we" aren't going to go
    anywhere. Now why don't you be a good little boy and leave the adults
    alone for awhile, ok? Go yell at your teddybear in the corner or
    something. He might actually pretend to care what you think. At least
    for a while.

    Doug Jacobs, Apr 13, 2007
  10. Mikey

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:43:49 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> Gave us:

    >Many times that I've had a player refuse to play a disc, it was because
    >the disc was dirty and somewhat scratched. These were discs I'd gotten
    >from Netflix or the library.

    I don't do the rental retard thing. I BUY my discs, and they are ALL
    in mint, pristine condition.

    NONE of them ever need cleaning, nor do they ever fail to play in
    ANY DVD player.
    MassiveProng, Apr 13, 2007
  11. Mikey

    Niemadre Guest

    On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:54:06 -0700, MassiveProng
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:43:49 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>Many times that I've had a player refuse to play a disc, it was because
    >>the disc was dirty and somewhat scratched. These were discs I'd gotten
    >>from Netflix or the library.

    > I don't do the rental retard thing. I BUY my discs, and they are ALL
    >in mint, pristine condition.
    >
    > NONE of them ever need cleaning, nor do they ever fail to play in
    >ANY DVD player.

    I steal mine, online and burn. It's so much cheaper.
    Niemadre, Apr 14, 2007