    textbook for 70-229?

    Great Thanks

    Turtle
    turtle, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Hands-on of course... In terms of books, third party books are good. Ones
    that come to mind are Ken Henderson's (sp?); search Amazon for his name, he
    has two which are beyond excellent. Kalen Delaney/Ron Soukup's Inside SQL
    Server (MS Press) are also excellent. Anything by Joe Celko for ANSI SQL
    language stuff, vendor neutral. Use the SQL Server BOL (Books Online); get
    to know the layout of the BOL, there's a TON of info there, although
    sometimes hard to find what you're looking for. Nonetheless, it's
    indispensable.

    After that, a good training guide IMHO, is the MS Press Self-paced training
    kit for 70-229. Read that along with at least one of the others, get
    hands-on and I think you'll be all set.

    HTH,

    --
    Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 27, 2003

  3. Are the BOL only for SQL server? I was doing some searches on
    Microsoft.com, and all the results were only for SQL Server info. Are there
    no BOL for other stuff (like C#)?

    Chris Pettingill, Oct 27, 2003
  4. It's all, including the SQL Server BOL, in the MSDN library. It's just that
    SQL Server ships it documentation as a stand-alone install if you wish
    called the SQL Server BOL.

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 27, 2003
  5. turtle

    Guest Guest

    Hi Leigh,

    I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
    But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
    about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
    229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
    reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?

    Thanks

    Guest, Oct 28, 2003
  6. turtle

    Jaime Guest

    You can read no books and pass the exam, it depends on your experience, etc.

    Jaime, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Go to the certification site and find the link for the MS Press Self-paced
    study kit for 70-229. IMHO, it's very good. However, it may not be enough to
    pass the exam depending on your experience and test taking abilities.

    HTH,

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 28, 2003
  8. turtle

    Jaime Guest

    Microsoft actually recommends 2 books for the test.

    Jaime, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Two classes, one book is listed on the requirements page for the MCDBA.

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 30, 2003
  10. turtle

    Jaime Guest

    If you go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/requirementsdotnet.asp
    down by electives next to the 70-229 test are two books.

    Jaime, Oct 30, 2003
  11. You are correct sir...<g>; I was looking at the MCDBA requirements page, not
    the MCSD.NET page.

    However, I would still consider it one book, the 70-229 training kit (not to
    be argumentative), but because the Inside book should be REQUIRED reading
    and part of any developers library. It IMO is a very very good book.

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 31, 2003
  12. turtle

    Jaime Guest

    Well if it isn't on the mcdba cert page then it's Microsoft's mistake, same
    exam on two different pages, one listing one book, one listing two, almost
    sounds like Microsoft oh and it's madam not sir;-) lol

    Jaime, Oct 31, 2003