    does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    Barry Goodthrall, Sep 4, 2007

  2. Barry Goodthrall

    loony Guest

    On 4 Sep, 16:22, Barry Goodthrall <>
    wrote:
    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    I've been using the free program Irfanview for basic adjustments, but
    I'm looking for more functionality so I'm intersted in answers to this
    too. I'm currently looking at Paintshop pro X or XI. I've used a very
    old version (5) and it is excellent for graphics but poor for
    photographs probably because of it's age. However the new versions
    seem to be highly rated and geared towards photo editing and a LOT
    cheaper than photoshop. Not sure where you're from but I can pick up
    Paintshop Pro X for around £30 compared to around £100 for Photoshop
    elements (a cut down version of the full photoshop).

    loony, Sep 4, 2007

  3. Barry Goodthrall

    Victek Guest

    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
    (www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
    anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

    Victek, Sep 4, 2007
  4. Barry Goodthrall

    silvercelt Guest

    On 4 Sep, 17:07, "Victek" <> wrote:
    > > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

    > > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    > The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
    > (www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
    > anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

    I use Irfanview or adobe photo shop elements 4

    silvercelt, Sep 4, 2007
  5. Barry Goodthrall

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Barry Goodthrall added these comments in the current discussion
    du jour ...

    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more
    > complex digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want
    > something that does common corrections the average novice
    > often needs, such as red eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting
    > adjustments, etc quickly. Ideally what program has the best
    > "one step fix" function?

    there is no best anything, I'm afraid. e.gg., what is best? a sub-
    compact car, a 4x4 SUV or an exotic million dollar sports car or
    anything in between. Please elaborate what subject(s) you intend to
    shoot, an estimate of your skill so far with graphics and your
    camera, and what you expect some software to do for you.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Sep 4, 2007
  6. Barry Goodthrall wrote:
    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Sep 4, 2007
  7. Barry Goodthrall

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Dennis Pogson wrote:
    > Barry Goodthrall wrote:
    >> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >>
    >> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    >> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    >> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    >> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    >> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    > Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
    > http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    >

    > Dennis.

    FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does
    almost everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and
    for that I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to
    buy a package today would probably get the latest version of that, but
    would still use FastStone for quick corrections.
    My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
    file move.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 4, 2007
  8. Barry Goodthrall

    wohwagen Guest

    Serif PhotoPlus - free on CD from Serif

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message

    > FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does almost
    > everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and for that
    > I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to buy a package
    > today would probably get the latest version of that, but would still use
    > FastStone for quick corrections.
    > My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
    > file move.
    > Dave Cohen

    -------------

    Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
    nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt to
    sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free software -
    but that's it.

    Among the freebies is version 7 of PhotoPlus (free web update available)
    which is a Photoshop clone (or maybe PS is a PhotoPlus clone ;) Same
    tools,same layout etc (I believe that you can even run PS actions in it!)

    It's got to be just about the best free piece of photo software available at
    the moment - I got it because it was free, although I use Lightroom, and was
    very impressed.

    wohwagen, Sep 5, 2007
  9. Unless you define "Best" there can be no "Best."

    Your skill level, the features needed, the cost, the ease of use, your
    tolerance for errors, likely continued support etc.

    There are a lot of good ones out there.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 5, 2007
  10. You could take a look at:
    http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9770956-12.html?tag=nl.e415

    Peter J E Brunning, Sep 5, 2007
  11. Barry Goodthrall

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Barry Goodthrall wrote:
    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    I have found that Photoshop Elements has the best 'quick fix' feature,
    which automatically fixes many problems, but it can go WAY off the track
    now and then.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 5, 2007
  12. Barry Goodthrall

    Ron Hunter Guest

    loony wrote:
    > On 4 Sep, 16:22, Barry Goodthrall <>
    > wrote:
    >> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >>
    >> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    >> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    >> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    >> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    >> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    > I've been using the free program Irfanview for basic adjustments, but
    > I'm looking for more functionality so I'm intersted in answers to this
    > too. I'm currently looking at Paintshop pro X or XI. I've used a very
    > old version (5) and it is excellent for graphics but poor for
    > photographs probably because of it's age. However the new versions
    > seem to be highly rated and geared towards photo editing and a LOT
    > cheaper than photoshop. Not sure where you're from but I can pick up
    > Paintshop Pro X for around £30 compared to around £100 for Photoshop
    > elements (a cut down version of the full photoshop).

    You should be able to find PSE MUCH cheaper than that. The usual
    discounted price in the US is about $72, so your quoted price is way
    over that.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 5, 2007
  13. Barry Goodthrall

    wohwagen Guest

    Serif Photoplus free offer details....

    "wohwagen" <> wrote in message

    > Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
    > nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt
    > to sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free
    > software - but that's it.
    >
    > Among the freebies is version 7 of PhotoPlus (free web update available)
    > which is a Photoshop clone (or maybe PS is a PhotoPlus clone ;) Same
    > tools,same layout etc (I believe that you can even run PS actions in it!)
    >
    > It's got to be just about the best free piece of photo software available
    > at the moment - I got it because it was free, although I use Lightroom,
    > and was very impressed.

    -------------------

    For those in the UK who fancy the free Serif free package:

    PagePlus 8

    PhotoPlus7 (web update available)

    DrawPlus 6

    WebPlus 7

    MediaPlus

    The Serif contact number (UK) is 0800 376 5472, quote code USC/CAC/FOC
    (from 'Out & About', the Camping & Caravanning Club member magazine) Offer
    closes 29th September.

    Dunno what the other programmes are like - but, as stated, PhotoPlus 7 is
    very good with all the usual Photoshop-type tools

    Worth 89p postage to try it, anyway.

    Cheers

    wohwagen, Sep 5, 2007
  14. Barry Goodthrall

    Adrian C Guest

    Re: Serif Photoplus free offer details....

    wohwagen wrote:

    >> Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
    >> nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt
    >> to sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free
    >> software - but that's it.

    The down side - and I have this verified here - is that Serif readily
    sell name and address details of applicants to junk mail outfits. If you
    do order the (mostly worthwhile!) software, make it clear to them that
    you don't want your postal mailbox spammed.

    --
    Adrian C

    Adrian C, Sep 5, 2007
  15. Barry Goodthrall

    KGB Guest

    Re: Serif Photoplus free offer details....

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:41:03 +0100, Adrian C <>
    wrote:

    >wohwagen wrote:
    >>
    >>> Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
    >>> nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt
    >>> to sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free
    >>> software - but that's it.

    >The down side - and I have this verified here - is that Serif readily
    >sell name and address details of applicants to junk mail outfits. If you
    > do order the (mostly worthwhile!) software, make it clear to them that
    >you don't want your postal mailbox spammed.
    >
    >--
    >Adrian C

    Hi

    The other downside in my experience is that whilst the software is
    very good and the retail products reasonably priced, the company
    itself is very, very, hard sell.

    The free offer (whilst genuine) is basically a ploy to get you on the
    end of a phone by giving away out of date software so they can try and
    sell you their latest offering. Phone the contact number and, far
    from being half-hearted, they will go to any lengths to persuade you
    to upgrade to the latest product - or perhaps I was just unlucky.

    The last couple of times I have phoned Serif for the activation code
    for a free download, the latest product started around £100 (special
    price as an existing customer, Sir). When I said I was only
    interested in the free product, the price dropped, eventually
    bottoming out at around £25 (I have just had a word with my supervisor
    and he is prepared to offer a very special price just for you...).
    When I still refused, they got quite abusive and came very close to
    accusing me of ripping them off by only ever using their free programs
    (not actually true - I have bought Serif software on more than one
    occasion in the past). When I stuck to my guns, insisting that all I
    wanted was the activation code for the free download, they eventually
    gave me it, after threatening to bombard me with sales calls for not
    upgrading (I never actually received any further sales calls from
    them, so obviously they were bluffing). I came very close to reporting
    them to Trading Standards.

    Having said that, I have been using Serif products from the mid 1990's
    and find them extremely good - especially the free ones!!!! Dealing
    with the company on the phone however is another matter - just grit
    your teeth and keep reminding yourself that the software is free. To
    be quite fair, I haven't had my postal mailbox spammed with the
    exception of a "special offer" letter from Serif a couple of times a
    year.

    By the way, if you visit <http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/> you will
    find most of their earlier software as free downloads. Just remember,
    when you do phone for the activation code, stick to your guns and
    don't let them bully you.

    Regards
    KGB

    KGB, Sep 6, 2007
  16. Barry Goodthrall

    wohnwagen Guest

    "KGB (KGB)" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:41:03 +0100, Adrian C <>
    > wrote:

    >>The down side - and I have this verified here - is that Serif readily
    >>sell name and address details of applicants to junk mail outfits. If you
    >> do order the (mostly worthwhile!) software, make it clear to them that
    >>you don't want your postal mailbox spammed.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Adrian C

    > Hi
    >
    > The other downside in my experience is that whilst the software is
    > very good and the retail products reasonably priced, the company
    > itself is very, very, hard sell.
    >
    > The free offer (whilst genuine) is basically a ploy to get you on the
    > end of a phone by giving away out of date software so they can try and
    > sell you their latest offering. Phone the contact number and, far
    > from being half-hearted, they will go to any lengths to persuade you
    > to upgrade to the latest product - or perhaps I was just unlucky.<

    Perhaps *!* was just lucky -;} I phoned for the CD and got a young girl on
    the other end who didn't make much of an effort to sell me anything - just
    'special price' £49 upgrade. When I declined she made no further sales
    attempts - and the CD duly arrived a few days later.

    Perhaps I interrupted her doing her nails? -;}

    Probably worth setting up a throw-away mail address with Yahoo (or similar)
    so that if any spam does arrive from Serif or their 'specially selected
    partners' (i.e, anyone who pays for the info) you'll never see it.

    wohnwagen, Sep 6, 2007
  17. Barry Goodthrall

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:03:51 GMT, Dennis Pogson wrote:

    > Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
    > http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

    I'm glad you suggested this. I've been using CompuPic for years, but it is
    seriously unstable on XP and hasn't been updated since 2003. I need a
    change.

    Unfortunately the first hour of using Faststone has exposed some
    defficiencies, including:

    1. Very weak, minimalist help system

    2. Can't select pages to print from a multi-page contact sheet job

    3. The "superior" red-eye remover has no flexibility and is pretty well
    useless

    4. Weird user interface in places. For example: double-click a browser
    thumbnail; make a change to the full size image; hit ESC to return to the
    browser; click on another thumbnail. Message pops up: "Do you want to save
    the changes you have made to this image?" The wrong image is highlighted!
    And why not ask the question as soon as you hit ESC?

    On the plus side, Faststone has been stable on XP... so far. Most of the
    functions I need work very nicely. And the price is right.

    Pete

    Pete, Sep 6, 2007
  18. Barry Goodthrall

    Jeff Layman Guest

    Barry Goodthrall wrote:
    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    You might find what you want at:

    http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Graphics-Edit_and_Viewers.htm

    --
    Jeff
    (cut "thetape" to reply)

    Jeff Layman, Sep 6, 2007
  19. Barry Goodthrall

    Marty Fremen Guest

    Barry Goodthrall <> wrote:

    > What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >
    > Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    > digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    > does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    > eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    > Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    Irfanview will do red-eye, blurring/sharpening, and has an auto-levels
    control which in one click will try to optimise the
    brightness/contrast/colour, however this somewhat hit and miss, sometimes
    it's great, sometimes goes too far, and sometimes not far enough. Usually
    worth trying though since you can always undo the result and fix the shot
    manually.

    Dust removal is a much trickier thing as it needs some intelligence on the
    part of the software. Polaroid did a free dust & scratches removal program
    which can be used by itself or as a plugin from within photoshop. It
    highlights what it thinks is dust and lets you deselect the stuff it got
    wrong before fixing the image. That's about as good as it gets I think
    unless you have a scanner with an infra red channel. Unfortunately I don't
    have a specific URL for the program but their site is
    http://www.polaroid.com and the program is also known as PDSR.

    Marty Fremen, Sep 7, 2007
  20. Barry Goodthrall

    PCs Rule Guest

    "Marty Fremen" <> wrote in message
    > Barry Goodthrall <> wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best software to quickly fix photos.
    >>
    >> Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
    >> digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
    >> does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
    >> eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
    >> Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

    > Irfanview will do red-eye, blurring/sharpening, and has an auto-levels
    > control which in one click will try to optimise the
    > brightness/contrast/colour, however this somewhat hit and miss, sometimes
    > it's great, sometimes goes too far, and sometimes not far enough. Usually
    > worth trying though since you can always undo the result and fix the shot
    > manually.
    >
    > Dust removal is a much trickier thing as it needs some intelligence on the
    > part of the software. Polaroid did a free dust & scratches removal program
    > which can be used by itself or as a plugin from within photoshop. It
    > highlights what it thinks is dust and lets you deselect the stuff it got
    > wrong before fixing the image. That's about as good as it gets I think
    > unless you have a scanner with an infra red channel. Unfortunately I don't
    > have a specific URL for the program but their site is
    > http://www.polaroid.com and the program is also known as PDSR.

    Here's the URL for it:
    http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/poladsr.html

    PCs Rule, Sep 7, 2007