    and why ?

    give me a advice

    thanks in advance.

    shinhyuk, Dec 24, 2003

  2. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:07:01 +0900, shinhyuk wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > what is the best protocol analyzer ?
    >
    > sniffer ? or etherpeek ?
    >
    > and why ?
    >
    > give me a advice
    >
    > thanks in advance.

    tcpdump is always a must. Simple fast ... advanced .. everything you could
    hope for. If your starting out, it may not be as friendly as you would
    like. Nether is Ethereal to be honest.

    If you don't mind spending a few dollars take a look at Finsar (They
    purchased Shomiti), and have a gereat product. Stay clear of the CA stuff,
    pricy and not all that good IMHO.

    Cheers
    Warrick

    If you don't mind

    Warrick FitzGerald, Dec 24, 2003

  3. shinhyuk

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <bsaiom$akb$>, says...
    > Hi
    >
    > what is the best protocol analyzer ?
    > sniffer ? or etherpeek ?
    > and why ?
    > give me a advice

    What are you going to use it for?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Dec 24, 2003
  4. shinhyuk

    reshman Guest

    Depends upon what you are looking for. If you want to do straight packet
    capture, than Ethereal, tcpdump, etc. work great.

    If you are looking for a product to give you diagnosis regarding problems,
    etc., then I'd suggest looking at Agilent or Sniffer. I have extensively
    used Sniffer, and their product is okay -- nothing great. Sniffer seems to
    have its share of bugs, which is frustrating -- especially when you trying
    to troubleshoot.

    As stated in another post, if you have a list of what you are looking for,
    we can give you more input.

    -Mike

    reshman, Dec 24, 2003
  5. shinhyuk

    Will Plaice Guest

    Agilent Advisor is great if you want all the bells and whistles ...

    very expensive, but you can run a 40 day trail, downloaded from their
    website - and this runs on an ordinary PC, this is the same software as they
    use in their HW advisors, which makes usin' both real easy !

    Will

    Will Plaice, Dec 24, 2003
  6. shinhyuk

    shope Guest

    "reshman" <marjunk*NO-SPAM*@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Depends upon what you are looking for. If you want to do straight packet
    > capture, than Ethereal, tcpdump, etc. work great.
    >
    > If you are looking for a product to give you diagnosis regarding problems,
    > etc., then I'd suggest looking at Agilent or Sniffer. I have extensively
    > used Sniffer, and their product is okay -- nothing great. Sniffer seems

    > have its share of bugs, which is frustrating -- especially when you trying
    > to troubleshoot.

    Agreed - sniffer bugs are seriously irretatin - esp. when you have a support
    contract, report a bug, and it is still in the product 3 releases later....

    However, I sometimes get involved in bugs that get reported back to the
    manufacturer, such as cisco and nortel.

    For that - sniffer is the baseline that is widely supported. Since they all
    seem to have this stuff in their labs, at least you dont get issues with
    convincing the engineer that another tool you used has mangled the trace in
    some way.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Dec 24, 2003
  7. shinhyuk

    PES Guest

    packetyzer is easy, free and good on a Windoze platform.

    PES, Dec 26, 2003