What is the best anti virus protection in the universe?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thomas Edison, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. George <> wrote:

    > I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    > product in the entire known universe.
    >
    > I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that is
    > free.

    I'd suggest that you ask in alt.comp.virus.

    In fact, I've cross-posted this question there for you, with follow-ups set
    thereto.

    George, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Thomas Edison

    Yddap Guest

    In news:crfe00$ghg$,
    George <> opined very noisily:
    > I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best
    > antivirus product in the entire known universe.
    >
    > I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything
    > that is free.

    The OFF switch
    :)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Thomas Edison

    Olfart Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    > product in the entire known universe.
    >
    > I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that is
    > free.

    Don't go online

    Olfart, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Thomas Edison

    George Guest

    "Yddap" <> wrote in message
    > In news:crfe00$ghg$,
    > George <> opined very noisily:
    >> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best
    >> antivirus product in the entire known universe.
    >>
    >> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything
    >> that is free.

    > The OFF switch
    > :)
    > --

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahhah

    That was not really funny as it did not answer my question in the correct
    manner :)>

    George, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Thomas Edison

    George Guest

    "Olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "George" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    >> product in the entire known universe.
    >>
    >> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that
    >> is
    >> free.
    >>

    > Don't go online

    Hahahahah

    Hey that was two funny replies and now I'm not wishing to recieve any
    further funny replies.

    Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.

    Thankyou

    George, Jan 5, 2005
  7. Thomas Edison

    Nottoman Guest

    How about a legit answer.
    eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. Highlighted in a recent PC
    World article. I have had excellent results with it in my tech business.
    Doesn't bog down your system like many others, very good autoupdate feature.
    Email me direct and I'll send you a link for a full year free.(Reply) Don't
    want to spoil it by posting here. There are some free ones that people tend
    to laud as great but you get what you pay for.
    Online scans are a great tool also to Detect pesky instrustions, not to
    protect. You need AV software and a firewall like ZoneAlarm

    Nottoman, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Thomas Edison

    George Guest

    "Nottoman" <> wrote in message
    > How about a legit answer.
    > eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. Highlighted in a recent PC
    > World article. I have had excellent results with it in my tech business.
    > Doesn't bog down your system like many others, very good autoupdate
    > feature.
    > Email me direct and I'll send you a link for a full year free.(Reply)
    > Don't
    > want to spoil it by posting here. There are some free ones that people
    > tend
    > to laud as great but you get what you pay for.
    > Online scans are a great tool also to Detect pesky instrustions, not to
    > protect. You need AV software and a firewall like ZoneAlarm
    >
    > "George" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    >> product in the entire known universe.
    >>
    >> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that
    >> is
    >> free.

    Much appreciated!! Thanks I' appreciate the serious relpy, its nice to have
    a laugh once in a while but I thought I was not going to get any advice on
    this one LOL til you posted of course. :)

    George, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Thomas Edison

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:16:45 -0000, "George" <> wrote:

    >"Olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    >>> product in the entire known universe.
    >>>
    >>> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that
    >>> is
    >>> free.
    >>>

    >> Don't go online

    >Hahahahah
    >
    >Hey that was two funny replies and now I'm not wishing to recieve any
    >further funny replies.
    >
    >Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.

    http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report01.pdf

    As to the cost of the compared programs, you'd have to look that up yourself.

    >Thankyou

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Thomas Edison

    earthlink Guest

    i cant come with a funny answer but you might try AVG free
    i have just started to use it on my win98se computer and for what it costs
    it really looks good.

    earthlink, Jan 5, 2005
  11. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:20:17 GMT, "Nottoman" <>
    wrote:

    >How about a legit answer.
    >eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. Highlighted in a recent PC
    >World article. I have had excellent results with it in my tech business.
    >Doesn't bog down your system like many others, very good autoupdate feature.

    I couldn't agree more!! - It has served me well for many years now

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Aussie Bomber, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Thomas Edison

    Guest

    Your question is a loaded one!

    All of the antivirus software writers are working together when it
    comes to the database. It is really an on going shared problem. They
    are only competitive in their sales. A few of them, by agreement are
    giving away their basic programs for free in order to help out with the
    problem. There are people out there who have no means to do internet
    purchases, and would be contributing to the problem if they did not
    have any protection at all.

    All the major brand name programs are very good. The pros and cons are
    really from personal preference. In my opinion, I like the McAfee virus
    scan. I have some fiends that do not like it, and they prefer the
    Symantic one.

    As for them being up to date, it is a neck and neck race with the virus
    authors (bastard-programmers). There are times for about a day or so,
    that one virus scanner may be more up to date than another. This would
    be until they can get the data file entry updated, and then
    distributed.

    Your best protection is to use good common sense of security, and at
    the same time be running a virus scanner.

    Never open spam mail. Delete all Spam without question!

    Have your email program set to not use the preview mode for viewing.

    Set your security level in your browser to HIGH (the one below the
    maximum).

    In your email program, set the security mode to not allow attachments
    to be opened. Only move this off when you intentionaly want to open an
    attachment that you know is safe.

    When recieving an attachment from someone, email them back to know if
    they really sent it. Always use the virus scanner to scan all
    attachments before opening them.

    Visit the MS site at least every day, and check for any security
    updates for your operating system, and for your internet software's.

    A suggested virus information and scanner testing site.
    http://www.eicar.com/

    The most assured thing you can do is to leave your computer turned off,
    if you really want a gaurantee of not being able to have your computer
    contract anything!

    Jerry G.
    ========

    , Jan 5, 2005
  13. Nottoman wrote:
    > How about a legit answer.
    > eTrust EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. Highlighted in a recent PC
    > World article. I have had excellent results with it in my tech business.
    > Doesn't bog down your system like many others, very good autoupdate feature.
    > Email me direct and I'll send you a link for a full year free.(Reply) Don't
    > want to spoil it by posting here.

    Why not? That link has been posted many times before. But it's not just
    for the antivirus, it includes CA's version of ZoneAlarm, the renewal is
    $29.95. Here's a page with links to the one you refer to and some others:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 5, 2005
  14. Thomas Edison

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 00:56:34 -0000, George wrote:

    >I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    >product in the entire known universe.
    >
    >I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything that is
    >free.

    The problem there is your spec is so low you won't get the "best anti
    virus protection in the universe". Try Sophos, very expensive but it
    never failed for all the years it was used at work.

    F-Prot Home use is $29 USD, which is close to your value and it's for up
    to 5 PCs.

    Me

    why?, Jan 5, 2005
  15. Thomas Edison

    lsj7 Guest

    George wrote:
    > "Olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best
    >>> antivirus product in the entire known universe.
    >>>
    >>> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything
    >>> that is
    >>> free.
    >>>

    >> Don't go online

    > Hahahahah
    >
    > Hey that was two funny replies and now I'm not wishing to recieve any
    > further funny replies.
    >
    > Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.
    >
    > Thankyou

    Abstinance or use condoms.

    Sex is a body-contact sport. It is safe to watch but more fun to play.
    --Thomas Szasz, M.D.

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7

    lsj7, Jan 5, 2005
  16. Thomas Edison

    jm Guest

    Try AVG it's free.

    jm, Jan 5, 2005
  17. Thomas Edison

    Smoker Guest

    "lsj7" <> wrote in message
    > George wrote:
    > > "Olfart" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "George" <> wrote in message

    > >> Don't go online

    > > Hahahahah
    > >
    > > Hey that was two funny replies and now I'm not wishing to recieve any
    > > further funny replies.
    > >
    > > Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.

    AntiVir is free and better than AVG. You can run them both at the same time
    and you'll see that AntiVir will be first to defend you most of the time. I
    never run less than 2 apps and sometimes 3 or more when trying them out. So,
    I think the more you use the more protected you'll be.

    Smoker, Jan 5, 2005
  18. Thomas Edison

    Zippo Guest

    > I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best antivirus
    > product in the entire known universe.

    ....that is tough to say...fools are always creating
    new virus'...i ust Norton (came with windows) and
    AVG which is free...the key to almost evading all
    virus' to keep your virus definitions updated every
    couple of days...every day if it make you feel more
    comfortable...do a can right after the downloaded
    definition...

    Zippo, Jan 5, 2005
  19. Thomas Edison

    dadiOH Guest

    George wrote:
    > "Olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "George" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm seeking knowledge, I want to know what is the absolute best
    >>> antivirus product in the entire known universe.
    >>>
    >>> I mean anything that is below $25 USD which also includes anything
    >>> that is
    >>> free.
    >>>

    >> Don't go online

    > Hahahahah
    >
    > Hey that was two funny replies and now I'm not wishing to recieve any
    > further funny replies.
    >
    > Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.

    It wasn't all that sensible. As in most things, there is no all
    encompassing "best".

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 5, 2005
  20. Thomas Edison

    dadiOH Guest

    dadiOH wrote:

    >> Please can someone give me a sensible reply to my sensible question.

    > It wasn't all that sensible. As in most things, there is no all
    > encompassing "best".

    However, if you insist...
    Kaspersky
    http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser