    hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking up
    99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is the
    System Idle Process?

    JimO, Feb 13, 2005

  2. JimO wrote:
    > My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    > hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking up
    > 99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is the
    > System Idle Process?

    http://www.processlibrary.com/

    <snip>

    the System Idle Process is not a process, more a counter which is
    displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is
    having at any particular time. This counter will display how much CPU
    Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use. Cannot be
    killed.

    </snip>

    Who Goes There, Feb 13, 2005

  3. JimO

    Neil Guest

    did you hear Who Goes There <wgt@home> say in

    > JimO wrote:
    >> My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on
    >> the hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process
    >> in taking up 99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut
    >> it down. What is the System Idle Process?
    >>

    > http://www.processlibrary.com/
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > the System Idle Process is not a process, more a counter which is
    > displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is
    > having at any particular time. This counter will display how much CPU
    > Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use. Cannot be
    > killed.
    >
    > </snip>

    and if you are seeing a lot of disk activity and the system is slow there
    may be paging issues. how much RAM you have, and what is the amount that
    is available.

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    - Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.

    Neil, Feb 13, 2005
  4. JimO

    T-Bone Guest

    "JimO" <joneill517###NoSpam###@earthlink.net> wrote
    > My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    > hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking

    up
    > 99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is

    the
    > System Idle Process?

    Ooh, I'm trying to be kinder and gentler, I really am...

    Does this post apply?

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Feb 14, 2005
  5. JimO

    fygar Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:23:18 GMT, "JimO"
    <joneill517###NoSpam###@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    >hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking up
    >99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is the
    >System Idle Process?

    That is the percentage of the purchase price you wasted on buying too
    large a processor for your needs.

    ....butch()

    fygar, Feb 14, 2005
  6. JimO

    kpg Guest

    ># Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\159082.htm (2/14/2005 10:32:33
    >AM) #
    > "JimO" <joneill517###NoSpam###@earthlink.net> wrote
    >> My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    >> hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking

    > up
    >> 99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is

    > the
    >> System Idle Process?

    > Ooh, I'm trying to be kinder and gentler, I really am...
    >
    > Does this post apply?

    Yes. I'm keeping score. You showed great restraint.

    kpg

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005
  7. JimO

    kpg Guest

    "fygar" <> wrote in message
    ># Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\159087.htm (2/14/2005 10:33:27
    >AM) #
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:23:18 GMT, "JimO"
    > <joneill517###NoSpam###@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    >>hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking
    >>up
    >>99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is
    >>the
    >>System Idle Process?
    >>

    > That is the percentage of the purchase price you wasted on buying too
    > large a processor for your needs.

    Almost funny - but not quite.

    kp "score keeper" g

    kpg, Feb 14, 2005
  8. JimO

    fygar Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:34:28 -0600, "kpg" <>
    wrote:

    >"fygar" <> wrote in message
    >># Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\159087.htm (2/14/2005 10:33:27
    >>AM) #
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:23:18 GMT, "JimO"
    >> <joneill517###NoSpam###@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My 2000 machine seems to be running slow and has a lot of activity on the
    >>>hard drive. I noticed in task manager that System Idle Process in taking
    >>>up
    >>>99% of my CPU resources. The system won't let me shut it down. What is
    >>>the
    >>>System Idle Process?
    >>>

    >> That is the percentage of the purchase price you wasted on buying too
    >> large a processor for your needs.
    >>

    >Almost funny - but not quite.
    >
    >kp "score keeper" g

    I'll workshop my material loger before publishing then.

    ....butch()

    fygar, Feb 14, 2005
  9. JimO

    Mike Guest

    I dont know what it is but clearly it is killing your
    machine :)

    I love this forum

    Mike, Mar 4, 2005
  10. JimO

    meanoldman Guest

    Damn lazy computers using up all the resources for nothing.

    meanoldman, Mar 4, 2005
  11. JimO

    ZeLo

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    Messages:
    12
    it down. What is the system idle process and how do i make my computer faster

    OK IM GOING TO TO THIS IN TWO PARTS WHAT THE SYSTEM IDLE PROCESSOR

    WHAT THE SYSTME IDLE PROCES DOSE
    ok what it is is the thing that counts the procesers and how high the CPU is it infact dosent take up the cpu at all but counts it as well

    HOW TO SPEED UP YOUR PC THE BEST WAY
    what you can do is a few things that will speed up the computer like getting rid of any uneccacry programes by using the controll panel then going to the add/remove programs and delet any thing you dont usally use then go through your computer and get rid of any file,games,word docs,music or and files you dont use but do not delet any thing in the local disk inless your a experenced person and you know what u r doing go on the inter net and download regstery mechanic if you dont want to pay for it go to you tube and type in regetry mechanic serial key(not sure on correct spelling) and then go on piripiri.com or google and download ccleaner that will get rid of some other junk you probably dont know about like cookies internet history ect helps alot i recomend it do a virus scan with a proper program not one of those crappy free downloades or free scan ones you see litterd all over the inter net it is usally a virus i(i found out the hard way i did it and it was like a mega virus and i had to reformat it sadly and i hadnt backed up any of my files so i lost alot)you canaloso back up all of your files to a p.h.d (portable hard drive)and then delete the files ummmm.you can run a thingy in the start menu and go to the run. thing then type in chk dsk (stands for check disk)
    then you can also optimise the peformance by going into start,controll pannel then go sytem then on the tab go to advance then look down should be first thing on there saying peformance go settings you should come up with a thing with a heap of boxes and a multipul choice saying let windows choose whats best for my pc,adjust for best apperance,ajust for best peformance and custom now you want to click on adjust for best peformance then hit apply then go back into that window go to advance go to the bottom one saying virtual memory and put that to max that it will alow you to have (the biger hard drive you have the more virtual memory it will allow you to have ) if you have a spare P.H.D and plug it in and do the same to the virtual memory but hit the custum size buttion and put in 99999 on both then click ok or apply it will then tell you how much you are able to have for me its 4098 but will be diifernt for the sizes it defends on what size P.H.D you have the biger it is the more vitual memory you can have i think and just leave the P.H.D pluged in then it will make it go faster on the next restart then hit apply that is the cheapest wayo you can do it but if you want it to go even more faster give it to your local techy and ask him/her to boost the ram on it (ram stands for random acces memory ) depending on how old you computer is is how much the ram will cost beacuse it depends onthe motherboard(the main part) if it is ddr1 ram then you cant relpace it beacuse they probaly wont sell it or be able to get any in stock beacuse its rareish to find on the market inless there is some on some thing like ebay if ddr2 ram it will cot about $ bucks to buy then how ever much they choose to charge you to put it in for there labour it should take 10-15 min i can do int in 5 min beacuse all you have to do is remove the case then remove any thing that is blocking it (NOT BY FORCE)with love and car ang if you do this dont blame me if you scew it up or this sight this is just to help you ok then you dhould see the mother board (the flat thing with all of the componets hooked up to it now look for the thing with the line lookin plastick with a line of ram sohuld look like a stick if in doubt look at a mother board on the internet and you should see what i mean there are the two clicky things that look like levers push them both at the same time then replace it.it you want to find out what type of ram it is look at the littal sticker on the side of the ram and that should tell you but if you dont have the sticker on one ram stick check the other one then get a better one it should also tell you how good i think all up you would have ddr 1 ram and it would be 256mb my guess so relpace the sticks of ram to some thing like 1 gb (one giga byte) if you can find a stick of ddr 1 ram after that put it back exsactly how you had it WARNING don put it near any magenic stuff of any thing that is magntic onter wise it will screw up the ram and you cant use it if THAT DOSENT WORK GET A NEW COMPUTER!!!! and if the computer doesnt work now if you have changed the ram the ram is eather screwed beacuse the previous owner left it near a magnitised object or some thing but this is all you can do and if u dont want to lose any of your things back it up on eather disk but i recomend eather dvds or my personal fave a P.H.D or get some on else to fix ur pc

    THANKS FOR READIN AND SORRY THAT IT IS SO LONG BUT IT IS PROBABLY THE MOST HELPFUL INFO I CAN GIVE YOU OR YOU CAN FIND ON THE INTERNET.

    ZeLo, Sep 27, 2010
  12. JimO

    sabirk

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Messages:

    Idle process is task manager is cpu usase by your system.

    boss your 2000 machine is anfacted by virus.
    or your memory(ram) is too low. check it first.
    then install an antivirus on you machine. then update it from internet. then scan your pc from antivirus. your problem will be fix.

    thank & regards
    Sabir Khan

    sabirk, Sep 30, 2010
  13. JimO

    h66hhgr

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    It is your computer looking for something better to do.
    "Think of it as your computer just twiddling its virtual thumbs, waiting for something more important to do." As Leo puts it.
    It's a good thing for it to take up that much CPU.

    h66hhgr, Aug 3, 2011
  14. JimO

    ZeLo

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2010
    Messages:
    12
    recomendations for your pc

    system idle i the process that counts your cpu usage that is why it cant be stop if you want to speed up your pc i would recomend doing a reformat of your hard drive and reinstall 2000 or xp if it meeets the specs copnsidering that your computer would of been at leat12 years old i would recomed just chucking out your computer and buying a new one as you will find that your proccessor and ram and hard drive will be verys small my guess is if your running 2000 it will be under 1.0ghz proccessor ,256mb ram or less and your hard drive would be 1-20gb hard drive and thats pretty bad so there your two main options beacuse they dont really make proccessors that fit your board if you could open up your case ,look at the cpu (the thing with a big metal long spike forgot wat there called any way with a fan look at were it says somthing on the mother board it should say socket......... if you could tell me that i may have a cpu for your computer but i very well doubt it but i could send it to u im in aus so yea thats the hard wear side soft ware side reformat that will make it a ton faster and try getting malware bytes and doing a couple of tests that is my fav virus protecton ,its free and it dose alot more than others,afer that un install it then delete any files or get a bigger hard drive that will help aswell but that will cost from 15 bucks for a small one to about 100 bucks for a 500 but liike i said before i think it would be best if you were to just get a new pc if your looking at speed and take it into your local pc shop and ask them to back up your hard drive in your 2000 machine and put it into the new pc also if ur used to 2000 i would recomend going to xp beacuse thats the next one up and it will seem the most like 2000 and is better as it has alot more options and alot more game,instalations ect wok on xp unlike 2000 any way thats my thaught email me if you want me to send you a cpu just tell me the slot on the thread or tell me at

    :adore: zelo out

    ZeLo, Aug 11, 2011