  1. I ask as someone was selling two DVD's (Spinal Tap and i forget the other)
    on eBay at £300 Buy it Now for the two of 'em. Whats so special about them
    for this guy to expect £300 for them? (BTW they didnt sell)
    Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath

    PJ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I ask as someone was selling two DVD's (Spinal Tap and i forget the other)
    > on eBay at £300 Buy it Now for the two of 'em. Whats so special about them
    > for this guy to expect £300 for them? (BTW they didnt sell)

    they delete them then they become collectors items, and they are pretty
    pricey to begin with, they do go for silly money on ebay sometimes but £300
    is a bit much! i sold my spinal tap for £60 a few years back and got the 5.1
    version for £9.99!
    PJ
    whats that bear u want me to read u a story?
    PJ, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath

    Gerry Guest

    > I ask as someone was selling two DVD's (Spinal Tap and i forget the other)
    > on eBay at £300 Buy it Now for the two of 'em. Whats so special about them
    > for this guy to expect £300 for them? (BTW they didnt sell)

    Because they OOP and rare collector's items.
    Gerry, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath

    Arkon24fps Guest

    PJ <> wrote in message

    > " Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath"
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I ask as someone was selling two DVD's (Spinal Tap and i forget the

    other)
    > > on eBay at £300 Buy it Now for the two of 'em. Whats so special about

    them
    > > for this guy to expect £300 for them? (BTW they didnt sell)
    > >

    > they delete them then they become collectors items, and they are pretty
    > pricey to begin with, they do go for silly money on ebay sometimes but

    £300
    > is a bit much! i sold my spinal tap for £60 a few years back and got the

    5.1
    > version for £9.99!
    > PJ
    > whats that bear u want me to read u a story?

    The only thing special about Criterion is that they release some titles that
    are worth watching that are not available on other major studio releases.
    Criterion is an independant company (not of the studio system) that produces
    prints of new film in 35MM and 70MM for exibitors to show in their theatres.
    Criterion eventually got into home video in the mid to late 70's with
    premium VHS releases of films such as Alfred Hitchcocks, Rebecca. They,
    Criterion, also for the first time, provided films in their original aspect
    ratio which fascilitated the black bars at top and bottom cause your tv is
    square, not rectangular as movie theatre screens are. The aspect ratio for a
    film is determined to provide or show the directors vision and fill up the
    entire movie screen which itself is wider than it is tall. Criterion was the
    first to use the black bars in order to reproduce the original films aspect
    ratio (size relating height to width).

    While there are many great CRiterion titles, some can be purchased
    domestically from a major studio for typcally more than half the price. Some
    MGM's titles sell for $14.99 CAD , however, I saw Tin Men for $8.88 CAD at a
    Walmart. Reissus like Spinal TAp, Silence Of The Lambs, Robocop are actually
    better transfers on the major budget priced studio versions. Yes, even
    better than Criterion. This is not generally the case however, but, I would
    rather own "The Truth About Charlie" with Charade on the filp side for
    $20.00 CAD than the now out of print Criterion Charade for $52.00 CAD.

    Criterion provides extras that are unique and owned by Criterion; they will
    never be included in subsequent non-Criterion releases of the same titles.
    Some titles will only be released on Criterion. For example, have you ever
    seen The Scarlet Empress on any other version? So here you have to buy the
    CR version. For the sake of your bank account,try not to buy them. Some of
    the so called collectables don't have that status permanently. I couldn't
    get $15.00 CAD for my Unbearable Lightness Of Bordom Cr dvd because it has
    no unique extras and it just came out via a major studio (I don't work in
    the business so don't expect me to remember the studio that released each
    title) for $14.99 CAD
    Arkon24fps, Jul 2, 2003
  5. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:05:55 GMT, "Arkon24fps" <>
    wrote:

    >PJ <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> " Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath"
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> > I ask as someone was selling two DVD's (Spinal Tap and i forget the

    >other)
    >> > on eBay at £300 Buy it Now for the two of 'em. Whats so special about

    >them
    >> > for this guy to expect £300 for them? (BTW they didnt sell)
    >> >

    >> they delete them then they become collectors items, and they are pretty
    >> pricey to begin with, they do go for silly money on ebay sometimes but

    >£300
    >> is a bit much! i sold my spinal tap for £60 a few years back and got the

    >5.1
    >> version for £9.99!
    >> PJ
    >> whats that bear u want me to read u a story?

    Several errors in what you said about Criterion, read below...

    >The only thing special about Criterion is that they release some titles that
    >are worth watching that are not available on other major studio releases.
    >Criterion is an independant company (not of the studio system) that produces
    >prints of new film in 35MM and 70MM for exibitors to show in their theatres.
    >Criterion eventually got into home video in the mid to late 70's with
    >premium VHS releases of films such as Alfred Hitchcocks, Rebecca. They,
    >Criterion, also for the first time, provided films in their original aspect
    >ratio which fascilitated the black bars at top and bottom cause your tv is
    >square, not rectangular as movie theatre screens are. The aspect ratio for a
    >film is determined to provide or show the directors vision and fill up the
    >entire movie screen which itself is wider than it is tall. Criterion was the
    >first to use the black bars in order to reproduce the original films aspect
    >ratio (size relating height to width).
    >
    >While there are many great CRiterion titles, some can be purchased
    >domestically from a major studio for typcally more than half the price. Some
    >MGM's titles sell for $14.99 CAD , however, I saw Tin Men for $8.88 CAD at a
    >Walmart. Reissus like Spinal TAp, Silence Of The Lambs, Robocop are actually
    >better transfers on the major budget priced studio versions. Yes, even
    >better than Criterion. This is not generally the case however, but, I would
    >rather own "The Truth About Charlie" with Charade on the filp side for
    >$20.00 CAD than the now out of print Criterion Charade for $52.00 CAD.
    >
    >Criterion provides extras that are unique and owned by Criterion; they will
    >never be included in subsequent non-Criterion releases of the same titles.
    >Some titles will only be released on Criterion. For example, have you ever
    >seen The Scarlet Empress on any other version? So here you have to buy the
    >CR version. For the sake of your bank account,try not to buy them. Some of
    >the so called collectables don't have that status permanently. I couldn't
    >get $15.00 CAD for my Unbearable Lightness Of Bordom Cr dvd because it has
    >no unique extras and it just came out via a major studio (I don't work in
    >the business so don't expect me to remember the studio that released each
    >title) for $14.99 CAD

    It was Voyager that dealt with theatrical films. Criterion was
    founded in 1987 as the Laserdisc distribution arm of Voyager (There
    were some pre-Criterion Voyager laserdiscs.) Criterion never had much
    at all to do with VHS, in fact they released more CD-Rom titles than
    VHS.

    The special status of the Criterion Co. is that they were the first
    and best distributor to offer truly feature-filled high-quality film
    releases for the discriminating consumer. They issued a lot of
    mainstream titles along with the more obscure. It is only since DVD
    came along that they have concentrated more on special interest and
    narrow-focus titles.

    Also Criterion doesn't "own" the special features such as the
    commentary track on Taxi Driver. The use of these things was
    negotiated with the artists and film makers. When a film is later
    issued by another firm the latter often either decides not to purchase
    the hard goods from Criterion or they do not re-negotiate with artists
    for re-use of the add-ons. Documentaries and commentary originally
    released by Criterion have been turning up on DVD's issued by Kino
    among others. (Eg. Foolish Wives, the Von Stroheim Doc.) Also
    sometimes MGM uses a Criterion-produced stills gallery or documentary
    for its releases.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 4, 2003
  6. Me, The Bear, up a tree on Hampstead Heath

    jayembee Guest

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:

    > "Arkon24fps" <> wrote:
    >
    >> [snip]

    > Several errors in what you said about Criterion, read below...

    Quelle surprise. "Arkon" (under various handles) has a bug up
    his ass about Criterion, and never fails to take the opportunity
    to go on about their failings.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 4, 2003