    for quite a while, but still having no clue on what it is about.
    Anybody, please also tell me or give me an example on how to use it.
    Thank you.

    Abby, Jul 9, 2003

  2. > I have no idea what Serial-over-LAN is? I've heard this terminology
    > for quite a while, but still having no clue on what it is about.
    > Anybody, please also tell me or give me an example on how to use it.
    > Thank you.

    I've heard of something that sounds similar a long time ago, when the BBS
    scene started to die off. The old BBSs that used to use dialup modems ended
    up being decreasingly popular, and as a result, the operators took the modem
    racks offline.

    But peopel missed using them, so drivers started to come about to make a TCP
    socket pretend to be a serial port in order that people could use telnet to
    access the old BBS system without the need for a real wire serial link or a
    modem dialup link to that BBS.

    The resulting protocol was sometimes called "Serial-over-TCP/IP" or
    serial-over-lan.

    I think that's the same kettle of fish, so to speak. I don't know of any
    real world uses of it anymore, except for making kit that expects a serial
    link still useable with only tcp/ip access to it.

    Yours,
    Alex, TWM Technical

    Alex - TWM Tech, Jul 9, 2003