What Is: sas.ne2.attbb.ne And Related Proxy Server Quest

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Running W98 and Netscape.

    Have been using Comcast Broadband for quite a while without any problem.

    Had big problems in connecting to my Symantic anti-virus Live Update a week
    ago, so I thought the problem was the that the registration term was
    probably over. Went out and bought a new copy of Symantic System Works.

    Couldn't connect to their Activation Server, or Live Update.

    Finally discovered that the problem was in my Control Panel / Internet
    Options / LAN.
    The LAN / "Use A Proxy had suddenly become checked and apparently activated.
    It was trying to go to: sas.ne2.attbb.ne

    Can someone please explain to me what this sas.ne2.attbb.ne is ?

    Also, how can it become activated, or changed, by itself (I've never used a
    Proxy) ?

    Does/can Comcast switch it automatically for some reason ?

    What do you think might have happened ?

    Everything is fine once again after I unchecked the Proxy box and checked
    the "Determine Setting Automatically" box.

    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Robert11

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:41:39 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Running W98 and Netscape.
    >
    >Have been using Comcast Broadband for quite a while without any problem.
    >
    >Had big problems in connecting to my Symantic anti-virus Live Update a week
    >ago, so I thought the problem was the that the registration term was
    >probably over. Went out and bought a new copy of Symantic System Works.
    >
    >Couldn't connect to their Activation Server, or Live Update.
    >
    >Finally discovered that the problem was in my Control Panel / Internet
    >Options / LAN.
    >The LAN / "Use A Proxy had suddenly become checked and apparently activated.
    >It was trying to go to: sas.ne2.attbb.ne
    >
    >Can someone please explain to me what this sas.ne2.attbb.ne is ?
    >
    >Also, how can it become activated, or changed, by itself (I've never used a
    >Proxy) ?
    >
    >Does/can Comcast switch it automatically for some reason ?
    >
    >What do you think might have happened ?
    >
    >Everything is fine once again after I unchecked the Proxy box and checked
    >the "Determine Setting Automatically" box.
    >
    >Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    It's a Comcast box of some kind. Seems part of your ISP setup. I would
    phone them to put your mind at rest, but not alter it.

    EricP, Aug 4, 2004