What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helping my uncle

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mark C, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
    Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
    versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    2 CD"

    My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
    and this was rejected, so we canceled out.

    It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
    the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.

    I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    install disk.

    What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
    understand and give him the correct one?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark C, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Mark C

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43c1c5ff$0$27104$>,
    lid says...
    > My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
    > Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
    > versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    > 2 CD"
    >
    > My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
    > and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
    >
    > It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
    > the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
    >
    > I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    > get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    > which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    > disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    > have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    > install disk.
    >
    > What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
    > understand and give him the correct one?

    Just reinstall from scratch.

    Rob J, Jan 9, 2006

  3. "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
    > Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
    > versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    > 2 CD"
    >
    > My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
    > and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
    >
    > It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
    > the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
    >
    > I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    > get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    > which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    > disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    > have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    > install disk.
    >
    > What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
    > understand and give him the correct one?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    The OEM CD I have in front of me is marked "Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" and has a small "includes Service Pack 2" notation on it. If
    you have an older version of Windows XP CD you should be able to install
    from that and then install SP2. If you need an "official" SP2 CD please let
    me know and I'll mail you one

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Mark C

    SteveM Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in

    > My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows File
    > Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs with good
    > versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    > 2 CD"
    >
    > My uncle only has a (logoed, hologramed, looks legit) XP SP1a (?) CD
    > and this was rejected, so we canceled out.
    >
    > It looks like he's been given an XP SP1a disk with his computer, but
    > the drive has been installed from an SP2 install disk.
    >
    > I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    > get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    > which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    > disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    > have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    > install disk.
    >
    > What CD should he ask his support for, what's it called so they
    > understand and give him the correct one?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    If you can get out of the SFC process then just run SP2 over the top of
    what you have.

    Or maybe decompress the service pack into a directory and point the SFC
    process at that.. (not sure if that would work though...)

    Stolen from
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Obtain the Full Network Install version of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (272
    MB), which you can download from the Microsoft Web site or copy from the
    Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM. The download version of this file is named
    WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, while the CD version is called xpsp2.exe.
    However, both are identical, save for the name. For this reason, I will
    refer to the simpler xpsp2.exe below, but you can substitute WindowsXP-
    KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe for that if needed. (You can also rename WindowsXP-
    KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe to xpsp2.exe if you'd like.) Now, create a new folder
    called sp2 on the C drive (C:\sp2) and then copy this file to that
    location.

    Now, you need to extract the SP2 files. To do so, open up a command line
    window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no quotes);
    then hit ENTER. Then, using the following commands, navigate to that folder
    and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the ENTER key):

    cd \
    cd sp2
    xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]

    Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting Files
    dialog will come up and display the progress.

    When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
    Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the extracted
    files.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Mark C

    Impossible Guest

    "SteveM" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > location.
    >
    > Now, you need to extract the SP2 files. To do so, open up a command
    > line
    > window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no
    > quotes);
    > then hit ENTER. Then, using the following commands, navigate to that
    > folder
    > and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the
    > ENTER key):
    >
    > cd \
    > cd sp2
    > xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]
    >
    > Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting
    > Files
    > dialog will come up and display the progress.
    >
    > When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
    > Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the

    Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new installation
    disk updated to SP2:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

    Impossible, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Mark C

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:10:07 +0000, Mark C wrote:

    > I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    > get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    > which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    > disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    > have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    > install disk.

    The MS SP2 disk was given away as if there were nothing but virus and
    other bad stuff coming at your PC awhile ago. Surely MS still have a few
    copies on hand.

    Gordon, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Mark C

    Jerry Guest

    Re: What is right 'name' for the Windows XP SP2 install CD? - helpingmy uncle

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:10:07 +0000, Mark C wrote:
    >

    >>I've suggested he contact the people he bought the computer from and
    >>get an SP2 install disk, so we can run SFC.EXE (System File Checker
    >>which checks system files and replaces unknown versions), but the
    >>disk they gave him still gives the message above. I suspect they
    >>have given him a disk with the SP2 patch on it, instead of a full
    >>install disk.

    > The MS SP2 disk was given away as if there were nothing but virus and
    > other bad stuff coming at your PC awhile ago. Surely MS still have a few
    > copies on hand.

    it looks like you can still order it
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    or someone can surely loan you one, or copy it for you.

    Jerry, Jan 9, 2006
  8. Mark C

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Impossible wrote:
> [...]

    >>folder
    >>and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the
    >>ENTER key):
    >>
    >>cd \
    >>cd sp2
    >>xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2 [ENTER]
    >>
    >>Your computer will seem to pause for a bit, and then an Extracting
    >>Files
    >>dialog will come up and display the progress.
    >>
    >>When the extraction is done, if you navigate to C:\sp2 with Windows
    >>Explorer, you'll see a new folder called i386 that contains the
    >>extracted
    >>files.
    >>

    > Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new installation
    > disk updated to SP2:
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

    Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what you
    require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web sites, I
    did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is it seemed like
    you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It seemed way out of
    the scope of the avarage home user to have to make one! Where things get
    crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they would be braking lots of
    rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven forbid. With Microsoft's
    activaction key one would think they would just be able to supply media
    alredy setup to go or make avalible ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin
    in there eyes.

    Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp a
    system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Mark C

    Impossible Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >>

    >> Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new
    >> installation disk updated to SP2:
    >>
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >>
    >> This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

    > Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what
    > you require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web
    > sites, I did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is
    > it seemed like you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It
    > seemed way out of the scope of the avarage home user to have to make
    > one! Where things get crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they
    > would be braking lots of rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven
    > forbid. With Microsoft's activaction key one would think they would
    > just be able to supply media alredy setup to go or make avalible
    > ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin in there eyes.
    >
    > Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp
    > a system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.

    Yes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base documents the slipstream process
    here...

    ....but it stops short of explaining how to create a new bootable
    installation cd, requiring instead that you install/repair from a
    slipstreamed hard drive copy.

    Impossible, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Mark C

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>

    >>>Better yet, use the slipstreaming process to create a new
    >>>installation disk updated to SP2:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >>>
    >>>This makes both repairs and new installations much simpler.

    >>Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what
    >>you require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web
    >>sites, I did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is
    >>it seemed like you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It
    >>seemed way out of the scope of the avarage home user to have to make
    >>one! Where things get crazy, for a retailer to make one I think they
    >>would be braking lots of rules (Microsoft) to supply one heaven
    >>forbid. With Microsoft's activaction key one would think they would
    >>just be able to supply media alredy setup to go or make avalible
    >>ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin in there eyes.
    >>
    >>Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular opp
    >>a system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.
    >>

    > Yes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base documents the slipstream process
    > here...

    > ....but it stops short of explaining how to create a new bootable
    > installation cd, requiring instead that you install/repair from a
    > slipstreamed hard drive copy.

    Yes the bootibal instlation copy is the hack others have worked out the
    slipstream was intended for network installs Me thinks. But my question
    is would a normal user (mom & pop) be expected to make the disk from
    there orignal OEM XP disk non service pack! as it it is just as hard as
    some of the linux procduers like compiling a kernal! or software with
    out the docs (not in the tar.gz file). Yes I had no problem making one!
    but my brother in law would have given up very soon in the procedurer,
    about the time he had to start typing in a cmd window.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 10, 2006
  11. Mark C

    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message

    >>>Just to make things Plane and Simple Yes a Slip streem disk is what
    >>>you require. To make one is just follow the steps in various web
    >>>sites, I did not use a Microssoft site at all. What I found bad is
    >>>it seemed like you were Hacking/Craqcking a disk to make one and It
    >>>seemed way out of the scope of the avarage home user to have to
    >>>make one! Where things get crazy, for a retailer to make one I
    >>>think they would be braking lots of rules (Microsoft) to supply one
    >>>heaven forbid. With Microsoft's activaction key one would think
    >>>they would just be able to supply media alredy setup to go or make
    >>>avalible ISO's. No to copy the media is a sin in there eyes.
    >>>
    >>>Just a rant from what I have seen It is supposed to be a regular
    >>>opp a system administrator for a corprate should be able to do.
    >>>

    >> Yes, the Microsoft Knowledge Base documents the slipstream process
    >> here...
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/900871
    >>
    >> ....but it stops short of explaining how to create a new bootable
    >> installation cd, requiring instead that you install/repair from a
    >> slipstreamed hard drive copy.

    > Yes the bootibal instlation copy is the hack others have worked out
    > the slipstream was intended for network installs Me thinks. But my
    > question is would a normal user (mom & pop) be expected to make the
    > disk from there orignal OEM XP disk non service pack! as it it is
    > just as hard as some of the linux procduers like compiling a kernal!
    > or software with out the docs (not in the tar.gz file). Yes I had no
    > problem making one! but my brother in law would have given up very
    > soon in the procedurer, about the time he had to start typing in a
    > cmd window.
    >
    > --

    I agree -- Microsoft has made this process unnecessarily complicated
    for the average user. It builds in a slipstream procedure,
    acknowledging that this is the only efficient way for users to update
    their duly licensed copies of XP. But because it's obsessed with
    piracy issues, it then hides this procedure deep in the bowels of its
    knowledge base and, by telling only half the story, forces users to
    then scan the web for the very sort of hacks it's trying to
    discourage. Go figure!

    Impossible, Jan 10, 2006
  12. Mark C

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Impossible,

    > I agree -- Microsoft has made this process unnecessarily complicated
    > for the average user.

    ffs, slipstreaming was built for admins

    > it then hides this procedure deep in the bowels of its
    > knowledge base

    i found it by googling... go figure

    > and, by telling only half the story, forces users to
    > then scan the web for the very sort of hacks it's trying to
    > discourage. Go figure!

    yea sure.... has your space craft arrived to pick you up yet ???

    fwiw, i use http://www.nliteos.com/

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jan 13, 2006
  13. Mark C

    Impossible Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Impossible,
    >
    >> I agree -- Microsoft has made this process unnecessarily
    >> complicated
    >> for the average user.

    > ffs, slipstreaming was built for admins

    .... when one of Microsoft's ubiqitous wizards would have done the
    trick nicely.

    >> it then hides this procedure deep in the bowels of its
    >> knowledge base

    > i found it by googling... go figure

    ....when an entry in the Windows Help system would have been so much
    more helpful.

    >> and, by telling only half the story, forces users to
    >> then scan the web for the very sort of hacks it's trying to
    >> discourage. Go figure!

    > yea sure.... has your space craft arrived to pick you up yet ???

    If there's a point you're trying to make here, you failed.

    Impossible, Jan 13, 2006
  14. Mark C

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Steven H wrote:
    > Hello Impossible,
    >
    >> I agree -- Microsoft has made this process unnecessarily complicated
    >> for the average user.

    > ffs, slipstreaming was built for admins
    >
    >> it then hides this procedure deep in the bowels of its
    >> knowledge base

    > i found it by googling... go figure
    >
    >> and, by telling only half the story, forces users to
    >> then scan the web for the very sort of hacks it's trying to
    >> discourage. Go figure!

    > yea sure.... has your space craft arrived to pick you up yet ???
    >
    > fwiw, i use http://www.nliteos.com/
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek

    I am not debating the admin thing for slipstreeming but the poore user
    who badly breks things in a win xp enviroment (there fault or not). They
    started out with out sp one or two and have done the right thing by
    upgrading as they went along. I my self used a driver disk wich broke
    somthing in xp that requiered Windows XP SP2 install CD. I had to make
    one eventualy. To orignaly fix the problem was a big muck arround. The
    Number one question time is money for a lot of us poor plebs how much
    would you charge to fix the said orignal problem in thred! because that
    is what the regular normal user would have to pay someone elce to get
    the thing fixed up. Most Operating systems have the got ya in it some
    where like the legendary hit f1 for the disconected keybord in the bios
    screens. How can you use somthing you dont have.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 13, 2006
  15. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in

    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >> My uncle recently had a trojan. After it was removed, Windows
    >> File Protection put up a dialog to replace unknown programs
    >> with good versions. It asked for "Insert Windows XP
    >> Professional Service Pack 2 CD"
    >>
    >> (snip)

    > The OEM CD I have in front of me is marked "Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" and has a small "includes Service Pack 2" notation
    > on it. If you have an older version of Windows XP CD you should
    > be able to install from that and then install SP2. If you need
    > an "official" SP2 CD please let me know and I'll mail you one

    Hi Brett,

    Yes I do need an SP2 CD, please look-out for my email.

    Just to complicate things, he needs an XP Home CD, not
    professional, despite the message. The message (asking for the
    wrong disk) is a known problem:

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/msg/6d3cb8a8f8284d1d

    | You may be prompted to insert a Windows XP Professional CD when
    | you run the System File Checker tool in Windows XP Home Edition
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897128/en-us

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Mark C, Jan 24, 2006