    nospam Guest

    Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    RAM? If so, why is it better?
    nospam, Jul 9, 2011

  2. nospam

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-09, nospam <> wrote:
    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    Roger, is that you
    Gordon, Jul 9, 2011

  3. nospam

    Donchano Guest

    On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >On 2011-07-09, nospam <> wrote:
    >> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >> RAM? If so, why is it better?

    >Roger, is that you

    "What's in a name? That which we call Roger by any other name would
    smell as Rogerish."
    Donchano, Jul 9, 2011
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2011-07-09, nospam <> wrote:
    >> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >> RAM? If so, why is it better?

    >Roger, is that you

    Like hell. I really want to know.

    You don't have an answer right?

    As far as I can tell, RAM either works or it doesn't. How many
    different ways can there be of making RAM?
    nospam, Jul 9, 2011
  5. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:

    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    Just google it.

    http://www.icelandicsheepworld.com/rams.htm

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Jul 9, 2011
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:55:39 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:
    > >
    >> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >> RAM? If so, why is it better?
    > >

    >Just google it.

    I did google it. I got this.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology
    nospam, Jul 9, 2011
  7. nospam

    Enkidu Guest

    On 09/07/11 17:58, nospam wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:55:39 +1200, Enkidu<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/07/11 16:56, nospam wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >>> RAM? If so, why is it better?
    >>>

    >> Just google it.
    >>

    > I did google it. I got this.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

    Ho. Got me.

    Enkidu, Jul 9, 2011
  8. On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:51:47 +1200, nospam <> wrote:

    >On 9 Jul 2011 05:33:43 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2011-07-09, nospam <> wrote:
    >>> Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >>> RAM? If so, why is it better?

    >>Roger, is that you

    >Like hell. I really want to know.
    >
    >You don't have an answer right?
    >
    >As far as I can tell, RAM either works or it doesn't. How many
    >different ways can there be of making RAM?

    Some MoBos are not compatible with some types of Ram.

    But they should list compatible ram..
    Frank Williams, Jul 9, 2011
  9. On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 16:56:34 +1200, nospam <> wrote:

    >Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    >RAM? If so, why is it better?

    Speed, CAS latency, Brand, heat sinks, warrantee, etc.

    Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

    IE CL, tRCD, tRP. speeds.
    Frank Williams, Jul 9, 2011
  10. nospam

    Richard Guest

    On 7/9/2011 4:56 PM, nospam wrote:
    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    many times have found that the cheaper ones will work sweet as when the
    only pair, but load up more slots and then things start to flake out.
    Yet they are all fine on their own and operating within what the board
    should be able to do.

    Now that things are going tripple channel and only giving you 3 slots to
    run that way I dont know how much longer it will be a problem. Perhaps
    when boards start to have 6 slots to go to 24 gigs easily then it may be
    an issue, but certainly all the 8/12 gig machines with 2 or 3 4 gig
    sticks have been fine with the cheapest of ram.
    Richard, Jul 9, 2011
  11. nospam

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 7/9/2011 4:56 PM, nospam wrote:
    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    When I bought a machine recently, I checked out the list of
    ASUS-approved RAM sticks. They varied in price from twice to about four
    times the price of the RAM in the machine, which was not on the list.
    When I asked the guy who assembled it about this, he said that it was
    not an issue, that he'd been using this cheap RAM for years with no
    complaints.
    Gib Bogle, Jul 9, 2011
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    oh, definitely, most definitely.

    I suggest you could try to look for ram comparisons on a site line anandtech or
    tomshardware. Your eyes might pop out. It's been a few years since I did that,
    mind. There used to be huge differences in stability and speed between
    different brands with the same sticker-printed specs. Speed is good, but not
    seeing BSODs or having your computer freeze is even better.

    I have had too much trouble in the past with a-data and kingston to want to
    bother with them again. Crucial and Corsair used to be the cat's pyjamas in
    terms of reliability and stability. Crucial used to be of equal quality but
    significantly cheaper. Corsair seem to make cheaper stuff these days and I see
    disgruntled people making negative comments about them (but not w.r.t. memory
    -- I don't know much more than that -- they've started to spread into many
    other branches of computer tech, from psu to watercooling). Afaict some other
    brands of ram are also reputable. (OCZ, Geill?)

    I've camera ram SD cards, and the read/write speed difference between brands
    are very significant, even though the cheapo stuff is labelled as conforming to
    the same standards. In a dslr that makes a noticable difference as far as how
    quickly you can shoot subsequent pictures goes.

    h.t.h.
    Peter Huebner, Jul 10, 2011
  13. nospam

    PeeCee Guest

    On 9/07/2011 4:56 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > Given the same nominal specs, is some RAM better quality than other
    > RAM? If so, why is it better?

    "Quality" is defined as the characteristics and attributes a product has
    that 'you' expect to get, for the price you paid.

    Quality must not be confused with Price, Speed, Usability, Compatabily,
    Reliablility, Warranty...etc
    All of these are C & A's of the product, ie each one is 'a' quality
    that can be compared with the competition.
    Which balance of these is 'right' or 'better' depends on the purchasers
    expectations.

    If you have two items that have the same specifications then prima face
    they are of 'equal' Quality.

    However if you have two products (eg RAM sticks) where most of the
    specification (Speed, Useablilty, Price...) are the same but one is
    faster and the other has a longer warranty, which one has the better
    "Quality"

    Neither

    Because for the speed freak faster is better, whereas for Mom & Pop
    warranty is the killer feature.

    The Characteristic of Quality that most people get confused over is
    Reliability. To many people use "Quality" when they mean Reliablity.
    i.e. they don't want their expensive new PC to breakdown to soon,
    preferably they want it to last at least 20 years without stopping.

    Unfortunately reliablility is one of the hardest characteristics to
    quantify without extensive testing which adds to the cost of the product.
    In today's 'what the market will stand' retail mentality, price as a
    usable indicator of reliablility is of little value (particularly if you
    are dealing with the likes of the big box movers)

    All you can then go on is Brand reputation and what you can glean from
    your's and other's experience's.
    Even then brands with a good reputation of reliablilty have their 'off'
    products.

    Way to many people succumb to the Marketing droids bluff that somehow a
    particular product has some mysticaly superior Characteristic(s) and
    Attribute(s) that are better than the competition.
    Somehow they never quite get round to quantifying just what those
    superior C & A's are.

    So at the end of that long discourse the answer to your question: "is
    some RAM better quality than other" can only be determined by what 'you
    expect'

    FWIW

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 11, 2011