    Any surgestions?
    Thanks for any reply.

    /Jep

    Jep, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Jep

    ERP Guest

    ethereal is a free sniffer. It's hard to setup filters but you get what you
    pay for. www.ethereal.com

    ERP, Dec 1, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Jep <> wrote:
    :Anyone who know of a low prised utility that can tell me what people
    :plug to our network.

    :If you have testet it, please list some pro and con ??

    :Does it work over LAN segments?

    What kind of information were you hoping to get out of the utility?
    MAC address? IP address? NETBIOS information? Running services
    such as HTTP, SMTP, IMAP? Tracking of link utilization if it
    turns out that the device acts like a router or switch? Do you
    use VLANs on your networks?

    If your switches are "managed" you can very likely get MAC address
    information out of them... of whatever devices are active at
    the time of the scan.

    If you have a router, you -might- be able to match up MAC addresses
    and IP addresses -- but if your only router is your WAN router
    then the router is not going to be able to give you any information
    about systems that never talk to the outside world.

    There are some useful free tools around (especially if you do not
    mind hacking some perl or C.) You can write your own if you
    have the time and the skill; as usual, though, "The Devil is in
    the details".

    The professional software that I use for my monitoring is done
    by Fluke. It isn't cheap, and it could stand some improvements
    in how it handles VLSM and multiple subnets, but it would take
    me a -lot- of effort to write an equivilent.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!

    Walter Roberson, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Superscan is free, and works well.

    http://www.foundstone.com/resources/termsofuse.htm?file=superscan4.zip

    Simon Marsden, Dec 1, 2003