    Bud Light Guest

    Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
    that refer to? Thanks.

    Bud Light, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
    from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

    Lar via PhotoKB.com, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Bud Light

    Rick Guest

    Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
    > from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

    Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

    --

    Rick

    Digital Printing
    www.intelligence-direct.com - 01270 215550

    Rick, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Bud Light

    [BnH] Guest

    [BnH], Mar 22, 2005
  5. Rick wrote:
    > Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    >> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final
    >> image from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or
    >> flecks of dust.

    > Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

    ... although several programs can do an excellent job of reducing noise,
    even though they don't remove it completely. I used to use Neat Image,
    but the new DCNR tool in Paint Shop Pro 9 is even better.

    http://www.corel.com

    http://www.neatimage.com

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Bud Light wrote:

    > Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
    > that refer to? Thanks.

    Do you remember what a TV picture looks like with a bad signal? It used
    to be called snow. Looks like the scene is taken in middle of a
    snowstorm. That is noise. It refers to each pixel having a random
    brightness level added or subtracted to the true value of the pixel.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Bud Light

    C J Campbell Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:ieV%d.3221$...
    > Rick wrote:
    > > Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    > >> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final
    > >> image from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or
    > >> flecks of dust.

    > > Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

    > .. although several programs can do an excellent job of reducing noise,
    > even though they don't remove it completely.

    Noise Ninja can almost completely remove it, but complete elimination of
    noise is generally undesirable, resulting in a plastic, textureless image.

    C J Campbell, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Bud Light

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Lar via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    > Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
    > from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

    It is not all from electronic interference, nor is it all produced by the
    camera. Most image sharpening routines increase noise, for example.

    C J Campbell, Mar 22, 2005
  9. Bud Light

    Sheldon Guest

    "Bud Light" <> wrote in message
    > Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
    > that refer to? Thanks.

    Noise on a digital camera is the equivalent of grain on a film camera. Call
    me crazy, but when you sharpen it up it does look very much like grain, and
    I love the texture of digital noise in some images.

    When I was a pro, I used to mix up my own concoctions for developing b and w
    film to give me a lot of really tight but visual grain, so noise, if done
    right, doesn't bother me at all. Of course, there are times when you want
    tack sharp photos with absolutely no noise.

    Sheldon, Mar 23, 2005
  10. Bud Light

    Destin_FL Guest

    The digital noise removal in the new Paint Shop Pro v.9 is spectacular. $600
    for Photoshop and you need another $400 worth of plug-ins to get it to do all
    that PSP does natively for $100.
    The digital noise removal in PSP is completely interactive and variable in
    parameters, and you can effectively eliminate that plastic look/feel of the
    photo with proper settings.

    Tim

    Destin_FL, Mar 23, 2005