    Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?
    , Jul 16, 2007

  2. Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To The Keyboard

    Help your self: http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Jul 16, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jul 17, 12:56 am, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    > On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    > Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
    > And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >
    > > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    > > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
    > > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.

    > > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
    > > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
    > > as a scratch protection cover.

    > > What I'd like to know is -
    > > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?
    > > What is its composition ?
    > > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    > > paper, etc. ?
    > > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    > > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    > Help your self:http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf

    As I said in my first post, I'd already done a google search for
    "OHP paper". All I could find were ads, pricing and suggested
    uses of OHP stationery. No indication of its properties except
    an assumption of knowledge by the potential user that it is
    transparent.

    I went through several of your search results (I'm on dial-up),
    and since you did not use quotes, it just returned half a
    million more of the same type of results I got.

    Allow me to repeat some of my questions : How resistant to heat
    is it ? Does it have non-stick properties like teflon (PTFE) ?
    , Jul 16, 2007
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    > OHP paper is ?

    You should start with what you are trying to do, not what you think you
    should be doing it with.

    Overhead projectors and opaque projectors are a very old-fashioned and
    inefficient way to do what can be done much better and more practically
    nowadays with modern technology.

    What are you trying to do that you think you need to find out OHP paper
    or transparent films?

    > What I'd like to know is -
    > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

    Yes.

    > What is its composition ?

    It depends on the technology of the projector, because some techniques
    are hotter and different than others. Sometimes the transparent film is
    on a roll, sometimes a sheet. Here are some methods
    http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Overhead-Projector-Information-a/123.htm
    What are Overhead Projectors? - The History of Overhead Projectors -
    Features of Overhead Projectors - Overhead Projector Configurations -
    Direct Optics - Folded Optics - Reflected Optics

    There's also the opaque (overhead) projector which also has a surface
    such as 'paper' on a roll.

    > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    > paper, etc. ?

    That would depend.

    > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    That would depend. What is the application you are trying to achieve?
    You should start with what you are trying to do, not what you think you
    should be doing it with.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-16, <> wrote:
    > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
    > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.
    >
    > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
    > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
    > as a scratch protection cover.
    >
    > What I'd like to know is -
    > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

    That's what I'd guess.

    > What is its composition ?

    Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
    clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
    you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
    suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.

    > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    > paper, etc. ?

    Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
    overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
    meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
    pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.

    > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
    with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
    instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
    stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
    it to retain what you draw or print on it.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 16, 2007
  6. why? Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:37:02 -0700, wrote:

    Oh well I had a good reply then XP did a BSOD.

    >On Jul 17, 12:56 am, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >> On Or About Mon, 16 Jul 2007 12:46:35 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    >> Or Thinking Twice, Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
    >> And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
    >>
    >> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    >> > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
    >> > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.

    >> > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
    >> > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
    >> > as a scratch protection cover.

    >> > What I'd like to know is -
    >> > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?

    Projecter.

    >> > What is its composition ?
    >> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    >> > paper, etc. ?
    >> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    >> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    That's a lot of questions for something that's used to wtire on with
    permanent or non-permanent pens.

    >> Help your self:http://tinyurl.com/2ewfcf
    >>

    >As I said in my first post, I'd already done a google search for
    >"OHP paper". All I could find were ads, pricing and suggested

    Learn to search better.

    Try

    ohp projector film properties

    as a search, found some patent information.

    >uses of OHP stationery. No indication of its properties except
    >an assumption of knowledge by the potential user that it is
    >transparent.
    >
    >I went through several of your search results (I'm on dial-up),
    >and since you did not use quotes, it just returned half a

    Di d you in the quotes and try again.

    >million more of the same type of results I got.
    >
    >Allow me to repeat some of my questions : How resistant to heat
    >is it ? Does it have non-stick properties like teflon (PTFE) ?

    Mr
    why?, Jul 16, 2007
  7. Old Gringo Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparency_(projection)
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com
    7/16/2007 5:08:57 PM CST
    Old Gringo, Jul 16, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    > OHP paper is ? I've googled for it but I can't wade through all
    > of the 1720 hits, and the ones I read didn't explain what it is.
    >
    > I gathered that it's a transparent sheet, probably with an
    > acetate base, and can be used for drawing or printing designs or
    > as a scratch protection cover.
    >
    > What I'd like to know is -
    > What does OHP stand for ? Over-Head Projection/Projector ?
    > What is its composition ?
    > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    > paper, etc. ?
    > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    Are you the multimedia guy at the retro high school?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 17, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Jul 17, 2:27 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2007-07-16, <> wrote:
    >
    > > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    > > OHP paper is ?

    > > What is its composition ?

    > Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
    > clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
    > you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
    > suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.
    >
    > > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    > > paper, etc. ?

    > Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
    > overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
    > meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
    > pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.
    >
    > > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    > > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    > Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
    > with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
    > instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
    > stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
    > it to retain what you draw or print on it.

    Thanks, that's the kind of reply I hoped for. Not like those that
    treat my post as if I was asking for classified information that
    was meant to be dispensed sparingly on a need-to-know basis.

    My reason for asking was as follows (I just didn't think I'd need
    to post it to ask what I thought were straightforward questions):

    Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
    claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
    the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

    I sometimes use the iron-on method myself for prototyping, but I
    use different media. This fellow claims that he'd been using OHP
    paper for 10 years, but something in the way he said it made me
    wonder if he'd ever made any PCBs at all, using any method. Hard
    to put a finger on it, but whenever I get an intuitive feeling
    like this, it usually turns out to be correct.

    It's not an ego thing. If OHP film/paper is suitable for the
    purpose, great. I may want to use it myself, and thank the poster
    for the info. I just don't want him to mislead the OP in case he
    was full of sh*t.

    Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
    to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
    in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
    relevant. Such pieces of info have often proved to be very useful
    later.
    , Jul 17, 2007
  10. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-17, <> wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 2:27 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >> On 2007-07-16, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    >> > OHP paper is ?

    >> > What is its composition ?

    >> Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
    >> clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
    >> you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
    >> suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.
    >>
    >> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    >> > paper, etc. ?

    >> Well, I'd guess that it can take the sort of heat you might get from an
    >> overhead projector. Presumably there are differences between the types
    >> meant for hand-drawing on or use with 'plotters' using wax crayons or felt
    >> pens, laser printers, ink-jet printers, impact printers, etc.
    >>
    >> > Is the material stick-resistant or does it usually have a
    >> > non-stick coating, like sticker backing (release paper) ?

    >> Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
    >> with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
    >> instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
    >> stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
    >> it to retain what you draw or print on it.
    >>

    > Thanks, that's the kind of reply I hoped for. Not like those that
    > treat my post as if I was asking for classified information that
    > was meant to be dispensed sparingly on a need-to-know basis.
    >
    > My reason for asking was as follows (I just didn't think I'd need
    > to post it to ask what I thought were straightforward questions):

    If people don't know the context of the questions, the answers are going
    to be pretty wide of the mark.

    > Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
    > claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
    > the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

    Sounds unlikely unless he means something quite different from the
    transparent or translucent "acetate" used for overhead projectors.

    > I sometimes use the iron-on method myself for prototyping, but I
    > use different media. This fellow claims that he'd been using OHP
    > paper for 10 years, but something in the way he said it made me
    > wonder if he'd ever made any PCBs at all, using any method. Hard
    > to put a finger on it, but whenever I get an intuitive feeling
    > like this, it usually turns out to be correct.
    >
    > It's not an ego thing. If OHP film/paper is suitable for the
    > purpose, great. I may want to use it myself, and thank the poster
    > for the info. I just don't want him to mislead the OP in case he
    > was full of sh*t.

    I'd ask exactly what he means by "OHP paper" and what resist medium he uses
    with it. I've never created a PCB, but I imagine the resist has to be
    very well 'stuck' to the blank board, without smudging or air-bubbles, and
    I would expect that to require a fair bit of heat and pressure to be
    applied to the 'transfer'. The OHP acetates I've used would be too
    delicate for that sort of treatment.

    Of course, if he's actually using the transparency to create a
    'photo-resist', that would be entirely different - but that isn't 'iron-on
    transfer'.

    > Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
    > to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
    > in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
    > relevant. Such pieces of info have often proved to be very useful
    > later.

    I suggest that you learn to develop your web-searching skills ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 17, 2007
  11. why? Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:06:36 -0700, wrote:

    >On Jul 17, 2:27 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >> On 2007-07-16, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    >> > OHP paper is ?

    >> > What is its composition ?

    >> Not paper. Traditionally, "acetate" which is preferred for its flatness,
    >> clarity, and neutral colour. I daresay other substances might be used too;
    >> you'd have to inspect the packaging in the shop or contact various
    >> suppliers or makers to get the specification of different products.
    >>
    >> > What are its heat resisting properties compared to cellophane,
    >> > paper, etc. ?

    <snip>

    >> Some types have peel-off opaque or translucent backing, possibly marked
    >> with lines or a grid to assist layout. The pacakaging should include
    >> instructions for use and handling to get best results for the purpose the
    >> stuff is sold for. 'Non stick' would seem to conflict with the need for
    >> it to retain what you draw or print on it.
    >>

    >Thanks, that's the kind of reply I hoped for. Not like those that
    >treat my post as if I was asking for classified information that
    >was meant to be dispensed sparingly on a need-to-know basis.
    >
    >My reason for asking was as follows (I just didn't think I'd need
    >to post it to ask what I thought were straightforward questions):

    How? You didn't ask what you really wanted until this post. You skipped
    over the real question.

    >Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
    >claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
    >the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

    Then a whole lot of the question seems pointless. A more direct answer
    could have been more forthcoming if you mentioned the really simple
    request at the beginning. Your 1st post could have just mentioned OHP
    film, PCBs. Only a paragraph was required.

    Used OHP film for years, but always UV etching, never used any iron-on
    method.

    <snip>

    Not knowing the source of the info, have you (a more pointed response
    since you now mention the real topic) -

    These newsgroups,
    All groups > USENET > sci . electronics clear
    Usenet 1 - 9 of 9

    sci.electronics
    sci.electronics.basic
    sci.electronics.basics
    sci.electronics.cad
    sci.electronics.components.* (1)
    sci.electronics.design
    sci.electronics.equipment.* (1)
    sci.electronics.misc.* (1)
    sci.electronics.repair.* (1)

    >Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
    >to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
    >in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
    >relevant. Such pieces of info have often proved to be very useful
    >later.

    Then expect the generic answers you got. Ask a more direct question and
    use the info to then do your own research for higher level of detail.

    Me
    why?, Jul 17, 2007
  12. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    Subject: Re: What is OHP paper ?

    >>> This must be a dumb question, but can anyone please tell me what
    >>> OHP paper is ?

    > Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
    > claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
    > the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

    Not OHP paper. OHP *film*. If you search on OHP PCB you will find
    plenty of discussions including discussions of those who prefer other
    'printing' surfaces over OHP film. However, if you search on OHP paper
    PCB, you get virtually nothing, of course.

    > Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
    > to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
    > in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
    > relevant.

    You did a very bad job of framing your question. Your question was
    about making a PCB, which fact wasn't even mentioned. You should start
    with the target, what you are trying to do and then narrow it to ask
    'what about using PCB film?' to do it -- and most importantly you
    shouldn't put a 'bad' or errant term into your inadequate question,
    namely 'paper'. The term paper is very confusing to the issue of
    overhead projecting -- and it is especially confusing in light of the
    fact that you had no interest in overhead projecting.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 17, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:07 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > Subject: Re: What is OHP paper ?

    > > Someone asked in a forum how to make PCBs, and someone else
    > > claimed that he uses OHP paper as an iron-on medium to transfer
    > > the copper track design on to the raw copper-clad board.

    > Not OHP paper. OHP *film*. If you search on OHP PCB you will find
    > plenty of discussions including discussions of those who prefer other
    > 'printing' surfaces over OHP film. However, if you search on OHP paper
    > PCB, you get virtually nothing, of course.
    >
    > > Another reason for framing my questions as I did is that I like
    > > to collect as much info as possible on any topic I'm interested
    > > in, including extraneous tidbits that may not be immediately
    > > relevant.

    > You did a very bad job of framing your question. Your question was
    > about making a PCB, which fact wasn't even mentioned. You should start
    > with the target, what you are trying to do and then narrow it to ask
    > 'what about using PCB film?' to do it -- and most importantly you
    > shouldn't put a 'bad' or errant term into your inadequate question,
    > namely 'paper'. The term paper is very confusing to the issue of
    > overhead projecting -- and it is especially confusing in light of the
    > fact that you had no interest in overhead projecting.

    I appreciate the replies, and I bow to the consensus that I did
    not ask my questions properly - without fully understanding why.
    If someone else had asked the same questions, knowing what I do
    now, I'd answer with something like this (even if I had no idea
    what the OP wanted it for) -

    OHP = Overhead Projector, and it's film, not paper.
    It's usually made of cellulose acetate.
    The usual OHP film is much less resistant to heat than paper.
    It's not particularly stick-resistant, at least not to the same
    degree as material specifically made to be so, such as sticker
    backings or release paper. I don't know if there are any special
    types with non-stick coating.

    These answers address each of my initial questions in a few
    sentences. It's not as if I asked "I want to buy a digital
    camera. Which one should I buy ?" or "My computer won't start.
    What can be wrong ?" without giving any other info.

    I really did not mean to ask for opinions on whether OHP film/
    paper is suitable for making PCBs. I thought I'd obtain basic
    information about the material's properties and make up my own
    mind. BTW, I said "OHP *paper*" because the poster said "OHP
    paper".
    , Jul 19, 2007