    later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
    question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
    is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    putter, Jun 26, 2005

  2. putter

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:51 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

    >With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with nero
    >and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    >episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    >problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    >motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
    >later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
    >question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
    >is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    Google is FULL of this Same Problem and I have not seen any answers..

    Have you tried a Later Version of Nero.

    Tony, Jun 26, 2005

  3. putter

    putter Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:55:51 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:
    >
    > >With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

    nero
    > >and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    > >episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    > >problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    > >motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999

    or
    > >later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So

    my
    > >question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

    or
    > >is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
    > >

    > Google is FULL of this Same Problem and I have not seen any answers..
    >
    > Have you tried a Later Version of Nero.

    I have only tried the version that came with the dvdwriter that I just
    bought and I presume it would not be fixed in a later version as there has
    been a message put into the program to specifically say that a bios later
    than 1999 is not supported so I really just wanted to know what the program
    did so I know if it is a problem to worry about or not, since I can't start
    the program I was hoping someone might tell me what ii is and does.

    putter, Jun 26, 2005
  4. putter

    putter Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:42be0b52$...
    > With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

    nero
    > and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    > episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    > problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    > motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
    > later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
    > question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

    or
    > is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    And I have looked at the nero website but since nero has gone to a newer
    version that does not have anything called dma manager I can not find any
    info on what it actually is, I guess if I spent long enough searching I
    might find something but I would really appreciate it if someone can just
    let me know, as you know if you look up everything for yourself you don't
    have much time left for anything else in life. Anyhow dma manager is part of
    the nero toolkit, I'm guessing it's not vital but i would sure like to know
    before my chance to return the drive runs out.

    putter, Jun 26, 2005
  5. putter

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:56:50 +1200, "putter" <putter@golf> wrote:

    >"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in message news:42be0b52$...
    >> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

    >nero
    >> and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    >> episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    >> problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    >> motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
    >> later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
    >> question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

    >or
    >> is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.
    >>

    >And I have looked at the nero website but since nero has gone to a newer
    >version that does not have anything called dma manager I can not find any
    >info on what it actually is, I guess if I spent long enough searching I
    >might find something but I would really appreciate it if someone can just
    >let me know, as you know if you look up everything for yourself you don't
    >have much time left for anything else in life. Anyhow dma manager is part of
    >the nero toolkit, I'm guessing it's not vital but i would sure like to know
    >before my chance to return the drive runs out.

    Its not in my Later Version at all.

    But I use Nero direct, not via a shell.

    Tony, Jun 26, 2005
  6. In article <42be0b52$>, putter@golf says...
    > With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with nero
    > and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    > episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    > problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    > motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999 or
    > later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my
    > question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or
    > is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
    transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
    things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...

    I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
    supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
    read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.

    I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs the
    practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to load from
    CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one nasty system
    crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when experimenting
    with it.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 26, 2005
  7. putter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <42be0b52$>, putter@golf says...
    >> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
    >> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
    >> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
    >> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
    >> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
    >> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
    >> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
    >> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
    >> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    > DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
    > transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
    > things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
    >
    > I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
    > supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
    > read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
    >
    > I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
    > the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
    > load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
    > nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when
    > experimenting with it.

    Hehe. I should have scrolled down a bit before answering the very same
    question in the "LG DVD writer" thread.

    Putter, there's no need to ask the same question twice in different threads,
    it gets annoying.

    BTW Peter, your explaination was better than mine although I never have
    problems with DMA and always enable it. :) It's the first thing I do with a
    new install, go to device manager and check all devices are working fine and
    that all drives have DMA enabled and working.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2005
  8. putter

    putter Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <42be0b52$>, putter@golf says...
    > >> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
    > >> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
    > >> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
    > >> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
    > >> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
    > >> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
    > >> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
    > >> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
    > >> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    > > DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
    > > transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
    > > things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
    > >
    > > I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
    > > supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
    > > read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
    > >
    > > I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
    > > the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
    > > load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
    > > nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when
    > > experimenting with it.

    > Hehe. I should have scrolled down a bit before answering the very same
    > question in the "LG DVD writer" thread.
    >
    > Putter, there's no need to ask the same question twice in different

    threads,
    > it gets annoying.
    >
    > BTW Peter, your explaination was better than mine although I never have
    > problems with DMA and always enable it. :) It's the first thing I do with

    > new install, go to device manager and check all devices are working fine

    and
    > that all drives have DMA enabled and working.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Sorry about that, I thought once I had asked the question in the other
    thread that it was probably better asked in a new thread, I should have
    replied to myself in the other thread to let you know.

    putter, Jun 27, 2005
  9. putter

    putter Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    > In article <42be0b52$>, putter@golf says...
    > > With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r with

    nero
    > > and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of a couple of tv
    > > episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression required) and the only
    > > problem I have run into is that nero dma manager will not work with my
    > > motherboard bios, a message says it will only work with bios dated 1999

    or
    > > later, mine is 1998. I am running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So

    my
    > > question is what does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks

    or
    > > is it just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    > DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
    > transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
    > things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
    >
    > I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
    > supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or better
    > read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
    >
    > I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs the
    > practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to load from
    > CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one nasty system
    > crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter when experimenting
    > with it.
    >
    > -Peter

    Thanks, I wasn't asking what dma is, I was asking what the dma manager
    program does, I know about dma but don't know what this program does that is
    different to what you can already do in bios and windows system, is this
    just a useless program that doubles up on what is already handled elsewhere
    or does it do something useful, you would think nobody would waste their
    time making a program that didn't do anything new but from the lack of
    I only had some trouble with dma years ago, I have not had any trouble using
    it for at least the last 6 years.

    putter, Jun 27, 2005
  10. putter

    Mark C Guest

    "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$:

    > my question is what does nero dma manager do

    I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
    Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
    The popup tooltip says:

    Check and change the status of the DMA mode. Activated
    DMA mode will increase the overall performance of your
    system.

    When opened, it displays a table with one row for the device, and a
    checkbox "DMA Enabled". You can check or uncheck the checkbox (and
    reboot) and change the DMA mode.

    If your drive works fast enough for you at present, I wouldn't worry.

    Mark

    Mark C, Jun 27, 2005
  11. putter

    ~misfit~ Guest

    putter wrote:
    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <42be0b52$>, putter@golf says...
    >>> With my new lg 4163b dvdwriter I have so far written a data dvd-r
    >>> with nero and a compilation dvd+rw with dvdshrink which consists of
    >>> a couple of tv episodes from 1 commercial dvd(no recompression
    >>> required) and the only problem I have run into is that nero dma
    >>> manager will not work with my motherboard bios, a message says it
    >>> will only work with bios dated 1999 or later, mine is 1998. I am
    >>> running windows98se on a p3 550MHz system. So my question is what
    >>> does nero dma manager do, is it required for some tasks or is it
    >>> just an optional extra that is not necessary.

    >> DMA stands for Direct Memory Access. It's supposed to speed data
    >> transfer up (well, it does). It can also lead to a lot of problems if
    >> things go wrong with it; look up -> bsod, snowcrash ...
    >>
    >> I shouldn't worry too much about it. With all modern drives now
    >> supporting technology that prevents buffer underruns and 32x or
    >> better read speeds the issue has become largely moot, i.m.o.
    >>
    >> I leave DMA off as a rule because the potential mayhem far outweighs
    >> the practical gains. Rather wait 3 seconds longer for a program to
    >> load from CD (and how often do you do that, anyway) than have one
    >> nasty system crash. And I've had entirely too many of the latter
    >> when experimenting with it.
    >>
    >> -Peter

    > Thanks, I wasn't asking what dma is, I was asking what the dma manager
    > program does, I know about dma but don't know what this program does
    > that is different to what you can already do in bios and windows
    > system, is this just a useless program that doubles up on what is
    > already handled elsewhere or does it do something useful, you would
    > think nobody would waste their time making a program that didn't do
    > anything new but from the lack of responses here it is starting to
    > look like nobody uses it.
    > I only had some trouble with dma years ago, I have not had any
    > trouble using it for at least the last 6 years.

    I get the feeling that Nero circumvents Window's methods of accessing the
    drive and accesses it directly itself. Hence the "doubling up" of the DMA
    option. Maybe.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 27, 2005
  12. putter

    putter Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > "putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$:
    >
    > > my question is what does nero dma manager do

    > I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
    > Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
    > The popup tooltip says:
    >
    > Check and change the status of the DMA mode. Activated
    > DMA mode will increase the overall performance of your
    > system.
    >
    > When opened, it displays a table with one row for the device, and a
    > checkbox "DMA Enabled". You can check or uncheck the checkbox (and
    > reboot) and change the DMA mode.
    >
    > If your drive works fast enough for you at present, I wouldn't worry.
    >
    > Mark

    So basically the program is of no worth as you can already enable and
    disable dma in windows system window, very strange.

    putter, Jun 27, 2005
  13. putter

    Tony Guest

    On 27 Jun 2005 01:27:10 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >"putter" <putter@golf> wrote in news:42be0b52$:
    >
    >> my question is what does nero dma manager do

    >I also have an LG 4163B, and have bought Nero 6 Reloaded.
    >Nero 6 SmartStart has an icon to run Nero DMA Manager.
    >The popup tooltip says:

    Not in my case..

    Tony, Jun 27, 2005