what is "metu"?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008.

  1. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:48:58 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >Seriously.

    A town in Ethiopa.
    Middle East Technical University in Turkey.

    >My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu".
    >When I press it the set goes into "mute" mode.
    >
    >Obviously manufactured by highly overpaid American, English speaking
    >workers.
    >At least the Chinese would get it right.

    I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this...

    richard, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Mike Easter wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu".
    >> When I press it the set goes into "mute" mode.

    You may find only a small batch of otherwise similar remotes show that typo.
    Later in times, your remote may become as valuable as some famous misprint
    of a stamp. If there were remote collectors like philatelists ...

    > Yesterday I was driving down a street and I passed a 2 story commercial
    > building with informational 3 dimensional letters 2 feet high built into
    > the facing of the building, which information referred to various types
    > of automobile service available there including domestic and foreign.
    >
    > The letters spelled 'foreing'

    In that case, the typo is made by intention and will enhance the level of
    attention and memorization of that building and services.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Evan Platt

    Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    > > My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu".
    > > When I press it the set goes into "mute" mode.

    > Yesterday I was driving down a street and I passed a 2 story commercial
    > building with informational 3 dimensional letters 2 feet high built into
    > the facing of the building, which information referred to various types
    > of automobile service available there including domestic and foreign.
    >
    > The letters spelled 'foreing'
    >
    > Well, 'foreign' is a pretty stupidly shaped word anyway, they might as
    > well create their own spelling.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    And meanings

    http://www.engrish.com/
    http://www.engrish.com/recent_detai...ue.jpg&category=Signs/Posters&date=2008-03-31
    http://www.engrish.com/recent_detai...ct-gel.jpg&category=CHINGLISH&date=2008-03-24
    , Apr 8, 2008
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:48:58 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Seriously.

    > A town in Ethiopa.
    > Middle East Technical University in Turkey.
    >
    >>My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu". When I press it
    >>the set goes into "mute" mode.
    >>
    >>Obviously manufactured by highly overpaid American, English speaking
    >>workers.
    >>At least the Chinese would get it right.

    > I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this...

    It would be meaningless. Think Photoshop.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2008
  6. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:44:49 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >It would be meaningless. Think Photoshop.

    Think Richard.
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008
  7. richard <> wrote in

    > Seriously.
    >
    > My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu".
    > When I press it the set goes into "mute" mode.
    >
    > Obviously manufactured by highly overpaid American,
    > English speaking workers.
    > At least the Chinese would get it right.

    Yeah, *but* would they get it lead-free?

    (Only your Oncologist knows for sure.)

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    Top secrets our government does NOT want YOU to know :

    #10 - If they "outlaw" Rock & Roll,
    then only "outlaws" will dance like white people!

    (The proof is all the cars' boom boxes playing hip-hop which
    makes their hubcaps perpetually spin in a backwards direction.)

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u
    Bucky Breeder, Apr 8, 2008
  8. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:39:43 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >Yeah, but you're the one who wanted to see "proof" in the form of an
    >easily-exited image.

    Easily edited.. Richard... Need I say more?
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:18:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >> Easily edited.. Richard... Need I say more?

    >Ah! I get you. Okay. :)

    Shit man, I was going to have to whoosh you there in a bit :)
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2008

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2008
  12. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:18:26 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Easily edited.. Richard... Need I say more?

    >>Ah! I get you. Okay. :)

    > Shit man, I was going to have to whoosh you there in a bit :)

    No way. I'm wearing my antiwhoosh hat this morning. My whoosh hat is at
    the cleaners.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2008
  13. Evan Platt

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:31:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >No way. I'm wearing my antiwhoosh hat this morning. My whoosh hat is at
    >the cleaners.

    While you're there, pick up my tinfoil hat.
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008
  14. Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:31:04 -0700, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>No way. I'm wearing my antiwhoosh hat this morning. My whoosh hat is at
    >>the cleaners.

    > While you're there, pick up my tinfoil hat.

    No tickee, no hattie.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2008
  15. Evan Platt

    chuckcar Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:48:58 -0700, richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Seriously.

    >> A town in Ethiopa.
    >> Middle East Technical University in Turkey.
    >>
    >>>My tv remote control has a button on it marked as "metu". When I
    >>>press it the set goes into "mute" mode.
    >>>
    >>>Obviously manufactured by highly overpaid American, English speaking
    >>>workers.
    >>>At least the Chinese would get it right.

    >> I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this...

    > It would be meaningless. Think Photoshop.

    Thankyou. Now you've tied him up for the next month. We *all* thankyou.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 9, 2008
  16. chuckcar wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> A town in Ethiopa.
    >>> Middle East Technical University in Turkey.

    >>> I'd be interested in seeing a picture of this...

    >> It would be meaningless. Think Photoshop.
    >>

    > Thankyou. Now you've tied him up for the next month. We *all* thankyou.

    My job here is done. For the time being...

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2008