  1. BILL

    BILL Guest

    IE how many years..?

    BILL, Apr 2, 2005

  2. BILL

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > IE how many years..?

    The lifetime of the product

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 2, 2005

  3. BILL

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    Fred Bloggs <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >

    > > IE how many years..?

    > The lifetime of the product

    It means it's guaranteed until it breaks.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Fred Bloggs said the following on 2/04/2005 1:51 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    >>IE how many years..?

    > The lifetime of the product

    In other words the warranty expires at the same time as the product :cool:

    Collector»NZ, Apr 2, 2005
  5. BILL

    BTMO Guest

    "Fred Bloggs" <> wrote

    >> IE how many years..?

    > The lifetime of the product

    Correct. If you will accept a non-PC example (double entendre intended...),
    I have a Leupold telescopic sight on one of my rifles.

    As long as the scope exists, and the manufacturer of course, they will
    honour the warranty on it.

    I know of people sending them back to the factory for repair after 40 years
    of hard life on a rifle, after having the rifle and scope handed down to
    them by a dying grandparent... and having them repaired and refurbished and
    returned at no charge.

    *THAT* is a lifetime warranty!

    BTMO, Apr 2, 2005
  6. BILL

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:23:09 +1200, BILL <> says...

    > IE how many years..?

    Some people think it means "a human lifetime" but in reality it means
    "for the life of the product", a nebulous term because it doesn't define
    any particular period.

    Rob J, Apr 2, 2005
  7. BILL

    Impossible Guest

    "BTMO" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred Bloggs" <> wrote
    >
    >>> IE how many years..?

    >> The lifetime of the product

    > Correct. If you will accept a non-PC example (double entendre
    > intended...), I have a Leupold telescopic sight on one of my rifles.
    >
    > As long as the scope exists, and the manufacturer of course, they
    > will honour the warranty on it.
    >
    > I know of people sending them back to the factory for repair after
    > 40 years of hard life on a rifle, after having the rifle and scope
    > handed down to them by a dying grandparent... and having them
    > repaired and refurbished and returned at no charge.
    >
    > *THAT* is a lifetime warranty!

    *THAT* definitely is a lifetime warranty. I've gotten similar deals
    with tools from select companies.

    Unfortunately, most products with "lifetime warranties" have so many
    fine-print qualifications attached, or require so many hoops to jump
    through to prove a claim, that the term ceases to be meaningful. RAM
    is commonly sold with a lifetime warranty by the likes of Corsair,
    Kingston, and Crucial, and I've never heard of any warranty complaints
    from their customers. But I wouldn't count on that sort of
    no-questions-asked treatment in very many other cases.

    Impossible, Apr 2, 2005
  8. BILL

    BTMO Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote

    >> I know of people sending them back to the factory for repair after 40
    >> years of hard life on a rifle, after having the rifle and scope handed
    >> down to them by a dying grandparent... and having them repaired and
    >> refurbished and returned at no charge.
    >>
    >> *THAT* is a lifetime warranty!

    > *THAT* definitely is a lifetime warranty. I've gotten similar deals with
    > tools from select companies.
    >
    > Unfortunately, most products with "lifetime warranties" have so many
    > fine-print qualifications attached, or require so many hoops to jump
    > through to prove a claim, that the term ceases to be meaningful. RAM is
    > commonly sold with a lifetime warranty by the likes of Corsair, Kingston,
    > and Crucial, and I've never heard of any warranty complaints from their
    > customers. But I wouldn't count on that sort of no-questions-asked
    > treatment in very many other cases.

    It is no coincidence I used a non-computer example...

    :)

    BTW - I am unlikely to ever use the warranty. Leupold are known for their
    reliability. I have wanted a 'scope like this since I was a little kid....

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Apr 2, 2005
  9. BILL

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:23:09 +1200, BILL
    <> had this to say:

    >IE how many years..?

    In the case of RAM, it's generally accepted to mean 5 years, with the
    thought being that computers have a realistic lifespan of 5 years.

    Sure, sure, everyone's got an old dunger sitting around that's older,
    but we're talking about the real world.

    Having said that, a decent manufacturer (Kingston, GeIL, etc) would
    most likely still honour the warranty for a stick of RAM older than 5
    years, but they don't expect to, and don't include that in their
    calculations.

    HTH

    Gurble, Apr 2, 2005
  10. On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:18:53 +1200, Rob J <> wrote in

    > In article <> in nz.comp on
    > Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:23:09 +1200, BILL <> says...
    >>
    >> IE how many years..?

    > Some people think it means "a human lifetime" but in reality it means
    > "for the life of the product", a nebulous term because it doesn't define
    > any particular period.

    I think it is completely worthless, because it says, in effect, that the
    product is guaranteed until it breaks/stops working (i.e., reaches the end
    of its "lifetime"). Fat lot of use THAT is!

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... Opening the mind can open the heart. Opening the heart can open the
    mind.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 2, 2005
  11. BILL

    Peter Guest

    BILL wrote:

    > IE how many years..?

    I guess you would have to read the fine print.

    Lifetime either means the life of the product or the life of the owner.
    Life of the product is meaningless, because as soon as it fails, the
    warranty expires.

    Life of the owner is probably what most people would intuitively expect it
    means. For example, Parker pens have a lifetime warranty, is for the life
    of the original owner. (As I discovered recently when I needed a
    replacement part for a pen, it was replaced at no cost to me! I was
    surprised and impressed.)

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 2, 2005
  12. BILL

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:15:52 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >In the case of RAM, it's generally accepted to mean 5 years, with the
    >thought being that computers have a realistic lifespan of 5 years.
    >
    >Sure, sure, everyone's got an old dunger sitting around that's older,
    >but we're talking about the real world.
    >
    >Having said that, a decent manufacturer (Kingston, GeIL, etc) would
    >most likely still honour the warranty for a stick of RAM older than 5
    >years, but they don't expect to, and don't include that in their
    >calculations.

    I wonder how much 30pin or EDO they have sitting around :)

    Invisible, Apr 2, 2005
  13. BILL

    BILL Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:29:17 +1200, Peter <> wrote:

    >BILL wrote:
    >>
    >> IE how many years..?

    >I guess you would have to read the fine print.
    >
    >Lifetime either means the life of the product or the life of the owner.
    >Life of the product is meaningless, because as soon as it fails, the
    >warranty expires.
    >
    >Life of the owner is probably what most people would intuitively expect it
    >means. For example, Parker pens have a lifetime warranty, is for the life
    >of the original owner. (As I discovered recently when I needed a
    >replacement part for a pen, it was replaced at no cost to me! I was
    >surprised and impressed.)
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Peter

    So what About AcBell PSU's and they are listed as lifetime, but not all
    dealers here are stating that..

    BILL, Apr 2, 2005
  14. BILL

    Peter Guest

    BILL wrote:
    > So what About AcBell PSU's and they are listed as lifetime, but not all
    > dealers here are stating that..

    What does the fine print say?
    Do you have a written version of this warranty?

    Peter, Apr 2, 2005
  15. BILL

    BILL Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:12:04 +1200, Peter <> wrote:

    >BILL wrote:
    >> So what About AcBell PSU's and they are listed as lifetime, but not all
    >> dealers here are stating that..

    >What does the fine print say?
    >Do you have a written version of this warranty?

    No its on there web site like most Info these days..

    BILL, Apr 2, 2005
  16. BILL wrote:
    > IE how many years..?

    usually the "expected lifetime of the product"
    if it saounds stupid, it kinda is.

    Personally I expect three-5 years on most computer hardware TV's and
    videos, and unless it is stupidly cheap, will persue it via the SCC.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 3, 2005
  17. BILL

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:10:42 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 14:18:53 +1200, Rob J <> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <> in nz.comp on
    >> Sat, 02 Apr 2005 13:23:09 +1200, BILL <> says...
    >>>
    >>> IE how many years..?

    >> Some people think it means "a human lifetime" but in reality it means
    >> "for the life of the product", a nebulous term because it doesn't define
    >> any particular period.

    > I think it is completely worthless, because it says, in effect, that the
    > product is guaranteed until it breaks/stops working (i.e., reaches the end
    > of its "lifetime"). Fat lot of use THAT is!

    I think they mean the lifetime of the product line, not an individual
    items lifetime.

    ie once the product is no longer in production, the stock is all gone, and
    the tooling etc is also gone there isn't much they can do to guarantee it.

    Which makes lifetime guarantees on computer stuff fairly worthless.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 3, 2005
  18. BILL

    thing Guest

    Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    >>IE how many years..?

    > The lifetime of the product

    Yes, when it expires so does the warrantee....

    lol

    ;]

    regards

    thing

    thing, Apr 4, 2005
  19. BILL

    Impossible Guest

    "BILL" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:12:04 +1200, Peter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>BILL wrote:
    >>> So what About AcBell PSU's and they are listed as lifetime, but
    >>> not all
    >>> dealers here are stating that..

    >>What does the fine print say?
    >>Do you have a written version of this warranty?

    > No its on there web site like most Info these days..

    I took a look at the AcBel site myself. Many products listed as having
    a "lifetime warranty", but there is nothing at all there to explain
    the actual warranty policy. You really need something *specific* in
    writing if you expect to ever press a claim.

    Impossible, Apr 4, 2005
  20. BILL

    BILL Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:43:26 -0400, "Impossible"
    <> wrote:

    >"BILL" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:12:04 +1200, Peter <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What does the fine print say?
    >>>Do you have a written version of this warranty?

    >> No its on there web site like most Info these days..
    >>

    >I took a look at the AcBel site myself. Many products listed as having
    >a "lifetime warranty", but there is nothing at all there to explain
    >the actual warranty policy. You really need something *specific* in
    >writing if you expect to ever press a claim.

    Here is a reference that I found on Google but its for the US Market from the
    looks at it..

    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/11/26/011126opfoster.html

    BILL, Apr 4, 2005