    layman's terms please?

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Kenny

    sno Guest

    OK...will try....keeping it simple.....

    You are right...it is a type of error
    correction....when you want a file to
    get to the receiver EXACTLY like the
    original file you can use a hash....

    As info goes over the internet it goes from
    computer to computer...often many times before
    it gets to you....the modems have error
    correction....but they are not 100 percent
    accurate....each time the possible error
    percentage goes up....it is accumalative
    so every so many characters the possiblity
    of error can be relatively high....

    A hash is developed by applying a mathematical
    formula to a file....the result of this
    formula is a "hash"....the hash is
    very, very, very individual to each file...
    therefore can be used as a final check of accuracy...
    the hash for the file is transmitted along
    with the file....

    The final receiving computer computes the
    hash for the file using the same formula...
    and checks to see if the hash is the same
    as the transmitted one...

    It comes in handy when you are transmitting
    files such as video files...where even one
    character not being right, can effect the
    final quality of the video when played....

    Hope this helps..and that it is almost accurate...
    <grin>.....sno

    --
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

    This tag line is generated by:

    SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

    sno, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Kenny

    davitz38

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    You can try to hash a string using this md5 online converter stringfunction.com/md5-hash.html
    You can get an idea on how a md5 hash looks like
    David

    davitz38, Feb 18, 2010