    Ritter197 Guest

    What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
    Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?
    Ritter197, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Ritter197 wrote:
    > What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
    > Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

    endpcnoise.com has a 350 watt power supply with a rating of less than 20 db.
    Michael W. Ryder, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Get a 400 Watt PS with a thermal fan controller, it will run
    cooler. Get a quality power supply from a name brand
    supplier.
    Liquid cooling is for the CPU, and other components,
    including the hard drive.

    Try the Google for "quiet pc"
    Build A Quiet PC How To Build A Quiet PC. There are a
    thousand and one articles out there that give you methods
    for quieting your PC. ... 2) WHEN PLANNING YOUR QUIET PC BUY
    SMART. ...
    www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/buildaquietpc.html -
    19k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.endpcnoise.com ]

    Quiet Computers ... The following products are designed for
    noise-conscious users and applications such as music
    studios: | A Guide to a Quiet PC | How to Build a Quiet PC?
    www.directron.com/silence.html - 44k - Aug 17, 2004 -
    Cached - Similar pages

    How to Build a Quiet PC? A Simple Guide ... Operate your
    PC at your own risk. (Last updated 9-6-01) (c)
    Directron.com, All Rights Reserved Related Items: | Products
    for a Quiet PC | Gallery | ...
    www.directron.com/quietpc.html - 42k - Cached -
    Similar pages
    [ More results from www.directron.com ]

    www.envynews.com/gibs.php?ID=393 1k - Cached - Similar pages

    RipNet-UK.com :: Quiet PC Radial Fin CPU coolers Quiet PC
    Radial Fin CPU Coolers. Review item: Quiet PC Radial Fin CPU
    Coolers. Review by: Rip. Date: 26 Aug 2003. Supplier: Quiet
    PC. RRP: £18. Introduction. ...

    www.ripnet-uk.com/reviews/coolers/quietpc/index.shtml -
    27k - Cached - Similar pages

    Jim Macklin, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Ritter197

    Jerry G. Guest

    Have you considered having the PC in another room, or a cupboard that can be
    cooled as well? You can remote the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and even a CDR
    and floppy drive. With an LCD monitor, and just the essentials on a desk, it
    makes a nice clean area to work.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Aug 20, 2004
  5. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    That would be a great idea but not for me. The next room is the formal
    living room.

    The computer sits under the specially designed computer desk and I insulated
    with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little "cubbyhole" meant for
    the computer.

    It is not a very loud noise, rather a constant low hum, but noticeable
    nevertheless. Even with the TV on nearby.

    Ritter197, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Buy a Bose headset with noise canceling.

    Jim Macklin, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Got it, but too cumbersome to wear all the time.
    I was thinking of the NEXUS NX3500, 350 Watts PS with 120 mm fan. Anybody
    have this one?

    Ritter197, Aug 21, 2004
  8. Ritter197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    The big fans are quieter. Dirt on the fan blades makes
    noise, keep it clean.

    "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    | Got it, but too cumbersome to wear all the time.
    | I was thinking of the NEXUS NX3500, 350 Watts PS with 120
    mm fan. Anybody
    | have this one?

    in message
    | > Buy a Bose headset with noise canceling.
    | >

    | > "Ritter197" <> wrote in message
    | > | That would be a great idea but not for me. The next
    room
    | > is the formal
    | > | living room.
    | > |
    | > | The computer sits under the specially designed
    computer
    | > desk and I insulated
    | > | with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little
    | > "cubbyhole" meant for
    | > | the computer.
    | > |

    Jim Macklin, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Also, you can mod your power supply. Check the housing and see if it is
    possible to swap out the existing fan with a better fan. I would
    recommend the largest fan that will fit (120 mm?). Look at the Panaflow
    fans as they generally have very good sound to air movement ratios. Be
    careful when modding the power supply as it still retains power even
    after unplugging it. I have done this on a couple of my Enermax power
    supplies and they run much quieter as well as cooler!

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Nathan McNulty, Aug 21, 2004
  10. Ritter197

    Ritter197 Guest

    Thanks for the advice. I will take a look and see whether it can be done
    easily.

    Ritter197, Aug 22, 2004