    http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 8, 2004

  2. TechNews

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews wrote:

    What's the point of posting 'news' over and over it's was pointless
    after the first few times and boring now.

    >Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its proven

    'multiple platforms' rather then 'PC Platform' would be better.

    >reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
    >giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

    How long has Linux been out before these 'giants' jumped on / off the
    Linux train.

    >Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

    <snip>

    >If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

    None of the above text is mentioned on the link provided. So where did
    it come from. Some of the text is similar and gives similar information.

    >http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    Me
    why?, Jun 8, 2004

  3. TechNews

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    > Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its

    proven

    PC platform has not been defined
    PC = personal computer which includes macintosh, commodore, atari, etc..
    the proper terminology: intel based computers, or an older term: IBM clone.

    Linux is an operating system based on Linus Tovard's Linux Kernel.
    the various utilities packages are referred to as distributions.

    > reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
    > giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
    >
    > Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    > for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    > users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.

    (Gamers
    > have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    i still play games on linux workstations.

    > If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
    >
    > http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    linux is not for everyone.
    replacing ms with linux will increase the number of tech support calls.
    linux exploits are more damaging than MS exploits.
    MS buffer exploits do not drop you to root, linux does.

    when was the last time an MS server got rooted?

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Jun 8, 2004
  4. TechNews

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    TechNews <> wrote in

    > Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
    > proven reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of
    > computing giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
    >
    > Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    > for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    > users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
    > (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    Linux is no more secure than other OS's. It's just been under the radar as
    hackers target systems that will get them more exposure (more than 80% of
    PC's run Windows). As Linux grows in popularity so will the discovered
    vulnerabalities, viruses and trojans.

    > If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
    >
    > http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    Alternatively:

    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.10/linux_pr.html
    Fuzzy Logic, Jun 8, 2004
  5. TechNews

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews <> wrote:
    <snip>

    Saw this signature the other day....

    Linux Is Like a Wigwam - No Windows, No Gates, And An Apache Inside...
    Unk, Jun 9, 2004
  6. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > TechNews <> wrote in
    >
    >> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
    >> proven reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of
    >> computing giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
    >>
    >> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    >> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    >> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
    >> (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    > Linux is no more secure than other OS's. It's just been under the radar as
    > hackers target systems that will get them more exposure (more than 80% of
    > PC's run Windows). As Linux grows in popularity so will the discovered
    > vulnerabalities, viruses and trojans.

    Linux is far more secure than Windows. Under Linux there are no viral
    vehicles such as IE, OE, hotmail, etc. Should a Linux machine get infected,
    the malicious code would have no way to destroy data for which it has no
    permissions; it has no way to attack system files.

    Are you able to name a single virus for Linux that may have caused the same
    heartache as SoBig, Sasser, et.al.?

    Linux popularity lies in running 70% of the Internet; as such, any hacker
    that could bring a truly disruptive attack would have done so already. The
    fact is that writing viral code for Linux is next to impossible. Compare
    that with all the VB scripts that have gone around and caused millions of
    $$ in damage around the world.

    Windows, by design, is very vulnerable. Moreover, as is evident in this NG,
    windows is also very unstable, unpredictable, and contrary to MS marketing,
    not really all that user friendly.

    TechNews, Jun 9, 2004
  7. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    127.0.0.1 wrote:

    > "TechNews" <> wrote in message
    >> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its

    > proven
    >
    > PC platform has not been defined
    > PC = personal computer which includes macintosh, commodore, atari, etc..
    > the proper terminology: intel based computers, or an older term: IBM
    > clone.

    However you want to call it.

    > Linux is an operating system based on Linus Tovard's Linux Kernel.
    > the various utilities packages are referred to as distributions.
    >
    > > reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
    >> giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.
    >>
    >> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    >> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    >> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.

    > (Gamers
    >> have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    > i still play games on linux workstations.
    >
    >> If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
    >>
    >> http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    > linux is not for everyone.

    Nonsense. Anyone can go to a computer store, buy SuSE 9.1 and install it
    quite easily. There are plenty of applications for surfing, multimedia,
    games, editing, wordprocessing, etc.

    > replacing ms with linux will increase the number of tech support calls.

    More nonesense. How many support calls do you think that MS gets a day?
    After all these years, Windows remains the buggiest OS ever made. Solaris,
    BeOS, Novell, Mac OS X... all have proven to be better alternatives.

    > linux exploits are more damaging than MS exploits.

    A straight out lie. By contrast, MS exploits have caused millions of $$ in
    damage... all documented.

    > MS buffer exploits do not drop you to root, linux does.

    Whatever vulnerabilities you imagine Linux has, it has already been
    addressed and fixed. The fact remains that using MS products still leave
    users in an exposed state of vulnerability.

    > when was the last time an MS server got rooted?

    When was the last time Linux got rooted? Proof please.

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 9, 2004
  8. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    why? wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews wrote:
    >
    > What's the point of posting 'news' over and over it's was pointless
    > after the first few times and boring now.
    >
    >>Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
    >>proven

    > 'multiple platforms' rather then 'PC Platform' would be better.
    >
    >>reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
    >>giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

    > How long has Linux been out before these 'giants' jumped on / off the
    > Linux train.

    Name a 'giant' that has jumped off...

    >>Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

    > <snip>
    >>
    >>If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

    > None of the above text is mentioned on the link provided. So where did
    > it come from. Some of the text is similar and gives similar information.

    And that's relevant how?

    --
    Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux
    TechNews, Jun 9, 2004
  9. TechNews

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:

    > Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    > for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    > users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs. (Gamers
    > have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    As we say in the old country, Bollocks! Properly set up and maintained a
    Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux PC. The problem is, to
    my mind, that the Windows PC is becoming just another consumer item like a
    TV or microwave. Consider how many people are unable to set the clock on
    their VCR or program it to record something. Is it any wonder that they're
    totally clueless when they buy their nice shiny new PC from PC World, Best
    BUy, Costco, Wal-Mart or where-ever? Look how far the home computer has
    come in the last 15 years and look at how lazy people have become in even
    trying to educate themselves. No wonder most home PCs are a mess. Linux
    does better, again in my opinion only, because the people who choose to
    install it (rather than buying a computer with it on already) are already
    going to be more savvy than 90% of people using the Internet.
    Shane, Jun 9, 2004
  10. TechNews

    Boomer Guest

    Shane <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:
    >>
    >> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and
    >> insecure for all but gaming applications. Because of such a
    >> fragile environment, users of all levels have turned to Linux
    >> for their computing needs. (Gamers have turned to PS2 and
    >> Nintendo for their fix).
    >>

    > As we say in the old country, Bollocks! Properly set up and
    > maintained a Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux
    > PC.

    [snip]

    Agreed!
    Boomer, Jun 9, 2004
  11. TechNews

    doS Guest

    Which sells best....?????

    doS, Jun 9, 2004
  12. TechNews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    TechNews wrote:
    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    >> TechNews <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
    >>> proven reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of
    >>> computing giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and
    >>> Dell.
    >>>
    >>> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and
    >>> insecure for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile
    >>> environment, users of all levels have turned to Linux for their
    >>> computing needs. (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their
    >>> fix).

    >> Linux is no more secure than other OS's. It's just been under the
    >> radar as hackers target systems that will get them more exposure
    >> (more than 80% of PC's run Windows). As Linux grows in popularity so
    >> will the discovered vulnerabalities, viruses and trojans.
    >>

    > Linux is far more secure than Windows. Under Linux there are no viral
    > vehicles such as IE, OE, hotmail, etc. Should a Linux machine get
    > infected, the malicious code would have no way to destroy data for
    > which it has no permissions; it has no way to attack system files.
    >
    > Are you able to name a single virus for Linux that may have caused
    > the same heartache as SoBig, Sasser, et.al.?
    >
    > Linux popularity lies in running 70% of the Internet; as such, any
    > hacker that could bring a truly disruptive attack would have done so
    > already. The fact is that writing viral code for Linux is next to
    > impossible. Compare that with all the VB scripts that have gone
    > around and caused millions of $$ in damage around the world.
    >
    > Windows, by design, is very vulnerable. Moreover, as is evident in
    > this NG, windows is also very unstable, unpredictable, and contrary
    > to MS marketing, not really all that user friendly.
    >
    >>> If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    >> Alternatively:
    >>
    >> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.10/linux_pr.html

    Did you even /read/ that article? It really is point on.

    As long as the SOFTWARE I need to run my business and my household is not
    available for use on Linux, why would I be the least bit interested in
    replacing Windows? And yes, I *have* installed and used Linux. For a few
    weeks. But since it 1) doesn't support my hardware correctly and 2) doesn't
    have the software I need, it's gone.

    I don't mind a bit hearing from Linux users how their system is more stable.
    It is. More secure. It is. More user friendly. NOT! Ready to replace
    Windows? NOT! And preaching to people in this newsgroup is not going to make
    the OS more appealing to them (TINT). If a user is serious enough about
    switching to Linux, they probably already have the savvy, the understanding,
    the tools to just do it. Without people harping on it over and over and over
    ad infinitum. (did I spell that right? Oh wait - I have a working spell
    checker in my Outlook Express in Windows...)
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  13. TechNews

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "TechNews" <> wrote in message

    > Nonsense. Anyone can go to a computer store, buy SuSE 9.1 and install it
    > quite easily. There are plenty of applications for surfing, multimedia,
    > games, editing, wordprocessing, etc.

    the average home user has problems installing XP pro update...
    and you want them to try an alien OS?

    > > replacing ms with linux will increase the number of tech support calls.

    > More nonesense. How many support calls do you think that MS gets a day?
    > After all these years, Windows remains the buggiest OS ever made. Solaris,
    > BeOS, Novell, Mac OS X... all have proven to be better alternatives.

    you overestimate the endusers...
    i currently work level 3 tech support for a financial institute.
    i deal with their intolerance routinely
    i also support mac users, they have their own unique problems.
    the solaris users are mainly product developers, they know how to
    troubleshoot their own systems.

    > > linux exploits are more damaging than MS exploits.

    > A straight out lie. By contrast, MS exploits have caused millions of $$ in
    > damage... all documented.

    i agree, MS exploits has caused millions in damages
    but the point is, what is more detrimental? being able to crash a ms server
    or take control of linux machine within the domain and all it's information?

    > Whatever vulnerabilities you imagine Linux has, it has already been
    > addressed and fixed. The fact remains that using MS products still leave
    > users in an exposed state of vulnerability.

    you are living in a bubble
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid
    weekly exploits on linux are currently being updated

    > When was the last time Linux got rooted? Proof please.

    hehe, where do you think those 0 day warez distro sites are coming from?
    free servers?
    they are from hacked linux servers from unsuspecting small ISP's and
    insecured linux based corporate systems.
    the proof is revealed by the number of pirated software available on k-lite
    and those damn warez spam sitez.

    i was once a warez pup running a distro site for Mad Crew and CORE.
    rooting linux machines was and still is the vehicle for mass distribution.
    also, DDOS originated from rooted linux machines. now (rooted linux
    machines) are the controlling point for zombie microsoft machines.

    that's a little underground history about linux and piracy.

    would you allow a home user that doesn't know how to secure his microsoft
    home network to switch over to a linux home network? linux isn't secured by
    default.

    -a|ex

    > --
    > Reliability:Speed:Security:Linux

    No more and no less reliable than a secured Microsoft Network.
    127.0.0.1, Jun 9, 2004
  14. TechNews

    Boomer Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    > TechNews wrote:

    [snip]

    > Did you even /read/ that article? It really is point on.
    >
    > As long as the SOFTWARE I need to run my business and my
    > household is not available for use on Linux, why would I be the
    > least bit interested in replacing Windows? And yes, I *have*
    > installed and used Linux. For a few weeks. But since it 1)
    > doesn't support my hardware correctly and 2) doesn't have the
    > software I need, it's gone.
    >
    > I don't mind a bit hearing from Linux users how their system is
    > more stable. It is. More secure. It is. More user friendly. NOT!
    > Ready to replace Windows? NOT! And preaching to people in this
    > newsgroup is not going to make the OS more appealing to them
    > (TINT). If a user is serious enough about switching to Linux,
    > they probably already have the savvy, the understanding, the
    > tools to just do it. Without people harping on it over and over
    > and over ad infinitum. (did I spell that right? Oh wait - I have
    > a working spell checker in my Outlook Express in Windows...)

    Maybe everyone should post their 'news' daily rather than being here
    to 'support'. This could become an all news news group! <g>

    I wonder when he will get off the bandwagon and also quit with the
    domain abuse? Pushy penguins!
    Boomer, Jun 9, 2004
  15. TechNews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> TechNews wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> Did you even /read/ that article? It really is point on.
    >>
    >> As long as the SOFTWARE I need to run my business and my
    >> household is not available for use on Linux, why would I be the
    >> least bit interested in replacing Windows? And yes, I *have*
    >> installed and used Linux. For a few weeks. But since it 1)
    >> doesn't support my hardware correctly and 2) doesn't have the
    >> software I need, it's gone.
    >>
    >> I don't mind a bit hearing from Linux users how their system is
    >> more stable. It is. More secure. It is. More user friendly. NOT!
    >> Ready to replace Windows? NOT! And preaching to people in this
    >> newsgroup is not going to make the OS more appealing to them
    >> (TINT). If a user is serious enough about switching to Linux,
    >> they probably already have the savvy, the understanding, the
    >> tools to just do it. Without people harping on it over and over
    >> and over ad infinitum. (did I spell that right? Oh wait - I have
    >> a working spell checker in my Outlook Express in Windows...)

    > Maybe everyone should post their 'news' daily rather than being here
    > to 'support'. This could become an all news news group! <g>
    >
    > I wonder when he will get off the bandwagon and also quit with the
    > domain abuse? Pushy penguins!

    Yep. Like I said, I don't have a problem with Linux users (or Mozilla users,
    or Eudora users, etc.) helpfully explaining why they prefer their chosen
    software (or OS) when they are trying to assist a person who posted a
    problem. But to blatantly harp on the subject for no other purpose than to
    "educate" the masses? Not needed!

    My own brother (software developer formerly employed by dBase) has recently
    blasted me for using OE! I do have my reasons for staying with it. (Not that
    they matter here <g>)

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  16. TechNews

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Jun 9, 2004
  17. TechNews

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:05:12 GMT, TechNews wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >

    >> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 GMT, TechNews wrote:
    >>
    >> What's the point of posting 'news' over and over it's was pointless
    >> after the first few times and boring now.
    >>
    >>>Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform. Its
    >>>proven

    >> 'multiple platforms' rather then 'PC Platform' would be better.
    >>
    >>>reliability, security and roboustness have won the support of computing
    >>>giants such as IBM, HP, Novell, Sun Microsystems, and Dell.

    >> How long has Linux been out before these 'giants' jumped on / off the
    >> Linux train.
    >>

    >Name a 'giant' that has jumped off...

    Dell, they supplied Linux boxes desktop to server, then they didn't then
    they did but on a more restricted range.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/16/suse_and_dell_buddy_up/

    Sun did a similar thing with it's own version, it didn't work and
    changed distros.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/03/29/suns_linux_distro_is_dead/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/22/did_sun_help_itself_by/

    >>>Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>>If you would like to learn more, please follow the link below.

    >> None of the above text is mentioned on the link provided. So where did
    >> it come from. Some of the text is similar and gives similar information.
    >>

    >And that's relevant how?

    One would assume the text referenced was related to the URI supplied. As
    it is there is no reference for the text you quoted.

    >>>http://www.linux.org/info/index.html

    >> Me

    Me
    why?, Jun 9, 2004
  18. TechNews

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Shane posted:
    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:
    >>
    >> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    >> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    >> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
    >> (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).
    >>

    > As we say in the old country, Bollocks! Properly set up and maintained a
    > Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux PC. The problem is, to
    > my mind, that the Windows PC is becoming just another consumer item like a
    > TV or microwave. Consider how many people are unable to set the clock on
    > their VCR or program it to record something. Is it any wonder that they're
    > totally clueless when they buy their nice shiny new PC from PC World, Best
    > BUy, Costco, Wal-Mart or where-ever? Look how far the home computer has
    > come in the last 15 years and look at how lazy people have become in even
    > trying to educate themselves. No wonder most home PCs are a mess. Linux
    > does better, again in my opinion only, because the people who choose to
    > install it (rather than buying a computer with it on already) are already
    > going to be more savvy than 90% of people using the Internet.

    Very nicely put .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks
    Paul - xxx, Jun 9, 2004
  19. TechNews

    Alex Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:06:03 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
    <> wrote:

    >Shane posted:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:56:50 +0000, TechNews wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure
    >>> for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    >>> users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs.
    >>> (Gamers have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).
    >>>

    >> As we say in the old country, Bollocks! Properly set up and maintained a
    >> Windows PC can be as reliable and secure as a Linux PC. The problem is, to
    >> my mind, that the Windows PC is becoming just another consumer item like a
    >> TV or microwave. Consider how many people are unable to set the clock on
    >> their VCR or program it to record something. Is it any wonder that they're
    >> totally clueless when they buy their nice shiny new PC from PC World, Best
    >> BUy, Costco, Wal-Mart or where-ever? Look how far the home computer has
    >> come in the last 15 years and look at how lazy people have become in even
    >> trying to educate themselves. No wonder most home PCs are a mess. Linux
    >> does better, again in my opinion only, because the people who choose to
    >> install it (rather than buying a computer with it on already) are already
    >> going to be more savvy than 90% of people using the Internet.

    LMAO
    Alex, Jun 9, 2004
  20. TechNews

    John Guest

    In article <499accc3b07cf775bc78f9474f44c001@news.1usenet.com>,
    TechNews <> wrote:

    > Linux is an operating system designed to run on the PC Platform.

    Is this part even correct?
    Isn't it designed for many platforms?
    Wouldn't all server uses be considered a different platform from the
    home or business PC? Certainly it is built for use on Apple machines.

    > Today's MS Windows based computers are extremely unreliable and insecure

    UN secure, although I'm not sure 'insecure' couldn't also be said of
    how Windows victims feel anyway.

    > for all but gaming applications. Because of such a fragile environment,
    > users of all levels have turned to Linux for their computing needs. (Gamers
    > have turned to PS2 and Nintendo for their fix).

    Gamers remain very heavy in the PC market. It is misleading to make
    this claim without some hint at the numbers or ratio.
    John, Jun 9, 2004