    can't figure out what the implications are.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 24, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Brian Cryer Guest

    On 24/01/2011 20:39, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Is there a reason why I can't make my private network addresses
    > 10.0.0.x?
    >
    > I note that Apple's "AirPort" defaults to a "10" series address.
    >
    > After reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network I come
    > away thinking that 10.x is a "Single Class A" network... but I
    > can't figure out what the implications are.

    Yes, you can use 10.0.0.x for your private network.

    You can use anything in the range:
    10.x.x.x
    172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x
    192.168.x.x

    I've worked in both the 19 and 192 range for private networks. Never
    seen the 172 one use, but I'm sure its used somewhere.

    Most domestic routers come pre-configured assuming 192.168.x.x, but
    there is no reason you can't use 10.0.0.x if you want to. This shouldn't
    cause you any problems because its a range defined for the use of
    private networks.

    As for the 10.x.x.x being a class A network, that simply refers to the
    address range - in this case 10.x.x.x. If you want to use 10.0.0.x you
    are simply using part of that address range. No problem there.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk

    Brian Cryer, Jan 25, 2011

  3. Per Brian Cryer:
    >As for the 10.x.x.x being a class A network, that simply refers to the
    >address range - in this case 10.x.x.x. If you want to use 10.0.0.x you
    >are simply using part of that address range. No problem there.
    >
    >Hope this helps.

    Thanks. Did the deed last nite.

    Even smoked out a couple of devices with self-set IP addrs in the
    process.

    I was just a little leery of the "Class A" qualification....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 25, 2011
  4. On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:35:32 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless:

    >Per Brian Cryer:
    >>As for the 10.x.x.x being a class A network, that simply refers to the
    >>address range - in this case 10.x.x.x. If you want to use 10.0.0.x you
    >>are simply using part of that address range. No problem there.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps.

    >Thanks. Did the deed last nite.
    >
    >Even smoked out a couple of devices with self-set IP addrs in the
    >process.
    >
    >I was just a little leery of the "Class A" qualification....

    I would be reluctant to apply a netmask of 255.0.0.0 to my home 10.x.x.x
    network; after all, I don't expect to need 16,777,216 nodes on my
    network. Instead, I use 10.0.0.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.

    Using the Class A network 10.x.x.x may also introduce routing problems
    where ISPs use that range for their internal routing, a practice common
    with 3G cellular internet providers.

    Michael Bednarek, Jan 27, 2011