    is doing something not needed that could be stopped.

    Anyone help?

    Tim.
    . .. . . Timothy . . . .., Jul 10, 2007

  2. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    ". .. . . Timothy . . . .." <> wrote in message
    > New, or newly re-set up computers are pretty fast, but after a few months
    > they get slower & slower.
    > Removal of spyware, de-fragmenting, disk-clean up & so on don't seem to
    > help much.
    > When I boot up, the 'disk busy' light comes on and stays on for several
    > minutes.
    > What IS it doing? I've never been able to find out, and find out whether
    > it is doing something not needed that could be stopped.
    >
    > Anyone help?

    Use the Sysinternals tools and go look.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 10, 2007

  3. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    jinxy Guest

    On Jul 10, 4:37 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > ". .. . . Timothy . . . .." <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > New, or newly re-set up computers are pretty fast, but after a few months
    > > they get slower & slower.
    > > Removal of spyware, de-fragmenting, disk-clean up & so on don't seem to
    > > help much.
    > > When I boot up, the 'disk busy' light comes on and stays on for several
    > > minutes.
    > > What IS it doing? I've never been able to find out, and find out whether
    > > it is doing something not needed that could be stopped.

    > > Anyone help?

    > Use the Sysinternals tools and go look.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

    Go into the RUN box and type msconfig, choose the start-up tab and
    have a look at what is loading on start-up. You may be suprised. Most
    of the time they are auto-updaters. You can turn alot of these items
    off. If you are not sure of what an item is you can Google it with the
    same RUN box. This might reduce your wait time. -J
    jinxy, Jul 11, 2007
  4. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, jinxy
    <> writes
    >On Jul 10, 4:37 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    >> ". .. . . Timothy . . . .." <> wrote in messagenews:EqO

    >> > New, or newly re-set up computers are pretty fast, but after a few months
    >> > they get slower & slower.
    >> > Removal of spyware, de-fragmenting, disk-clean up & so on don't seem to
    >> > help much.
    >> > When I boot up, the 'disk busy' light comes on and stays on for several
    >> > minutes.
    >> > What IS it doing? I've never been able to find out, and find out whether
    >> > it is doing something not needed that could be stopped.

    >> > Anyone help?

    >> Use the Sysinternals tools and go look.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

    >Go into the RUN box and type msconfig, choose the start-up tab and
    >have a look at what is loading on start-up. You may be suprised. Most
    >of the time they are auto-updaters. You can turn alot of these items
    >off. If you are not sure of what an item is you can Google it with the
    >same RUN box. This might reduce your wait time. -J

    What's the likely problem is you do try to run msconfig and it then
    reports that it can't find "msconfig"?...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jul 11, 2007
  5. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    Travis Guest

    What OS do you have? MSconfig works on Windows XP Home and Pro, probably
    2000 as well but I'm not sure about 9.x and those others (maybe NT). Or
    maybe your running those 300mb economy editions on bittorrent.

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, jinxy
    > <> writes
    >>On Jul 10, 4:37 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    >>> ". .. . . Timothy . . . .." <> wrote in
    >>> messagenews:EqO

    Travis, Jul 11, 2007
  6. Thanks to those who replied. Msconfig works for me (I'm running XP). I am
    now poring through the unexpectedly long list....

    Tim.

    . .. . . Timothy . . . . ., Jul 11, 2007
  7. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    Boscoe Guest

    "tony sayer" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, jinxy
    > <> writes
    >>On Jul 10, 4:37 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    >>> ". .. . . Timothy . . . .." <> wrote in
    >>> messagenews:EqO

    >>> Use the Sysinternals tools and go look.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

    >>Go into the RUN box and type msconfig, choose the start-up tab and
    >>have a look at what is loading on start-up. You may be suprised. Most
    >>of the time they are auto-updaters. You can turn alot of these items
    >>off. If you are not sure of what an item is you can Google it with the
    >>same RUN box. This might reduce your wait time. -J
    >>

    > What's the likely problem is you do try to run msconfig and it then
    > reports that it can't find "msconfig"?...
    > --
    > Tony Sayer

    To use msconfig in Windows XP you must be logged on as Administrator.
    Boscoe, Jul 11, 2007
  8. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <46950a7e$0$18247$>, Travis
    <> writes
    >What OS do you have? MSconfig works on Windows XP Home and Pro, probably
    >2000 as well but I'm not sure about 9.x and those others (maybe NT). Or
    >maybe your running those 300mb economy editions on bittorrent.

    WIN 2000 Pro....

    FWIW anything on MS DOS is also painfully slow!...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jul 11, 2007
  9. .  .. .  . Timothy  . . . ..

    Wizard Guest

    msconfig started with win98 second ed. and works on upward with the
    exception of windows 2000.

    Wizard, Jul 25, 2007