    So, The question is, has anybody outside of Jones farm seen the PRM or
    HRM for this alleged DRM / backdoor tech?
    Jim D.

    davis, Sep 21, 2005

  2. davis

    Imhotep Guest

    davis wrote:

    > I'm going to find out exactly what AMT is, soon. But Intel has been very
    > secretive. They said they would release the specifications last year,
    > Then they pulled back the release of public technical specifications.
    > So, The question is, has anybody outside of Jones farm seen the PRM or
    > HRM for this alleged DRM / backdoor tech?
    > Jim D.

    I do not know. I tried googling but nothing relevent came up. If you find
    out, please post it!!!

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 22, 2005

  3. davis

    Winged Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > davis wrote:
    >

    >>I'm going to find out exactly what AMT is, soon. But Intel has been very
    >>secretive. They said they would release the specifications last year,
    >>Then they pulled back the release of public technical specifications.
    >>So, The question is, has anybody outside of Jones farm seen the PRM or
    >>HRM for this alleged DRM / backdoor tech?
    >>Jim D.

    > I do not know. I tried googling but nothing relevent came up. If you find
    > out, please post it!!!
    >
    > Im

    http://www.intel.com/technology/manage/iamt/300749.pdf

    http://www.intel.com/technology/manage/iamt/

    http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/systems/it09041.pdf

    http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20040907net_a.htm

    Take a look at Intels DRM solution for Apple on Intel platforms using
    the Infinion 1.1 chip. Essentially as I understand it, it allows out of
    band communications to take place and shutdown the system if DRM content
    is being abused by someones definition. I understand this inter play
    with other hardware DRM requirements for Windows Vista we read about
    recently.

    As I understand it, someone correct me if I am missing something the
    signal that is out of band (noise) is filtered off by the Infinion chip
    from the signal stream. If the hardware is not present to filter the
    data stream the noise content makes the data stream unusable. Because
    of this, systems where the hardware is not present, may via software
    adjust the data stream to make the content playable, or at the vendors
    discretion not allow the content to be played without the noise at all.
    It "may" even shut down the system when the system detects a purloined
    signal.

    Additionally this noise is phased with digital signal in such a way that
    if the content is copied the signal phase gets shifted making the copied
    media unusable. This means the signal will need to be intercepted at
    the final destination (at the monitor screen and speakers for example
    then re-recorded to swipe (steal) the desired signals. Building
    hardware with mods required to do this commercially I believe would be
    illegal in the States for sale due to the DCMA law, which will make this
    hardware difficult to obtain outside of a few countries which the law
    would allow this mod to be produced locally and sold locally. It is not
    an easy task, and would probably reduce illegal copying significantly.
    Publishing how to do the mod might also be considered illegal in the US
    as well as a number of other countries. This will change the method
    used to copy, but I do not believe it will stop the copying of
    content...I guess I'll have to take wait and see attitude.

    I am still learning how this may work and have some to go before I
    understand how this works.

    Please understand I don't do illegal copying however I like to
    understand what makes things tick. My concern is how this will impact
    alternative operating systems and platforms. Apple is on board
    obviously as I suspect all the major OS players will be however what
    this does to Open source software is an extreme concern and may be a
    death toll for these systems if they can not utilize the new hardware
    effectively without breaking someones operational copyright.

    Winged

    Winged, Sep 22, 2005