What is IAX ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stephen Hammond, Feb 5, 2008.

  1. Stephen Hammond, Feb 5, 2008

  2. Stephen Hammond

    Andy Burns Guest

    Andy Burns, Feb 5, 2008

  3. Stephen Hammond

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 5, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >On 05/02/2008 11:49, Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >
    >> What is IAX ?

    >it is a VoIP protocol, an alternative to to SIP.
    >
    >http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX

    And pronounced "eeks" aparently...

    Not been around as long as SIP or h.323, but lightweight and easy to get
    through firewalls. The code is open, free, etc. too. Originally intended
    to connect Asterisk boxes together, there are a small number of soft-phones
    (eg. Zoiper) which support it and an ATA (The IAXy) and a small number
    of desk phones supporting it too.

    I've dozens of asterisk boxes talking to each other via IAX and it "just
    works" for me with most sensible routers. For "trunking" between systems
    the overhead is less than SIP which helps squeeze every bit out of
    marginal lines (when I have to).

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 5, 2008
  5. Stephen Hammond, Feb 5, 2008
  6. In article <47a8627a$0$26042$>,
    Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    >>> Stephen ?
    >>>

    >> No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.
    >>
    >> Google IAX
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18 seconds)
    >>
    >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange

    >OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax it doesn't seem to
    >work has any one had any luck with this ?

    Huh?

    The ag188 is an ATA - Analogue temrinal Adapter. You plug an ordinary
    analogue phone into it, then you plug it into your Broadband connection
    via Ethernet, then you register with a VoIP provider, then make/take
    calls...

    1899.com is an indirect access service where you dial a prefix (1889)
    before dialling a number. It's designed to work on UK landlines (and
    probably only those supplied by BT)

    Unless I'm missing something, these two simply don't mix.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 5, 2008
  7. >>

    >>> No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.
    >>>
    >>> Google IAX
    >>>
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18 seconds)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange

    >>OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax it doesn't seem to
    >>work has any one had any luck with this ?

    > Huh?
    >
    > The ag188 is an ATA - Analogue temrinal Adapter. You plug an ordinary
    > analogue phone into it, then you plug it into your Broadband connection
    > via Ethernet, then you register with a VoIP provider, then make/take
    > calls...
    >
    > 1899.com is an indirect access service where you dial a prefix (1889)
    > before dialling a number. It's designed to work on UK landlines (and
    > probably only those supplied by BT)
    >
    > Unless I'm missing something, these two simply don't mix.
    >
    > Gordon

    http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
    Configure an IAX softphone as follows:

    User Name:
    1899 + your phonenumber

    Password:
    your 1899 customer number

    IAX Server:
    iax.1899.com

    Stephen Hammond, Feb 5, 2008
  8. In article <47a88cd5$0$26082$>,
    Stephen Hammond <> wrote:

    >>>OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax it doesn't seem to
    >>>work has any one had any luck with this ?

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> The ag188 is an ATA - Analogue temrinal Adapter. You plug an ordinary
    >> analogue phone into it, then you plug it into your Broadband connection
    >> via Ethernet, then you register with a VoIP provider, then make/take
    >> calls...
    >>
    >> 1899.com is an indirect access service where you dial a prefix (1889)
    >> before dialling a number. It's designed to work on UK landlines (and
    >> probably only those supplied by BT)
    >>
    >> Unless I'm missing something, these two simply don't mix.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
    >Configure an IAX softphone as follows:
    >
    > User Name:
    > 1899 + your phonenumber
    >
    > Password:
    > your 1899 customer number
    >
    > IAX Server:
    > iax.1899.com

    Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on their
    site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

    So what happens when you try to register? It seems fairly
    straightforward to me.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Feb 5, 2008
  9. Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    Gordon Henderson pretended :

    >> http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
    >> Configure an IAX softphone as follows:
    >>
    >> User Name:
    >> 1899 + your phonenumber
    >>
    >> Password:
    >> your 1899 customer number
    >>
    >> IAX Server:
    >> iax.1899.com

    > Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on their
    > site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

    Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many
    moons ago.
    Jono, Feb 5, 2008
  10. Stephen Hammond

    Steve Guest

    Have you ticked 'Enable Register' on the IAX setup page? - it's easy to miss

    Have you port forwarded: 4569?

    Does the AG188 work in SIP mode with http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php ?
    thus verifying your Account Name and Password etc etc.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 5, 2008
  11. Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    Jono brought next idea :
    > Gordon Henderson pretended :
    >

    >>> http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
    >>> Configure an IAX softphone as follows:
    >>>
    >>> User Name:
    >>> 1899 + your phonenumber
    >>>
    >>> Password:
    >>> your 1899 customer number
    >>>
    >>> IAX Server:
    >>> iax.1899.com

    >> Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on their
    >> site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

    > Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many moons
    > ago.

    .....or have I misremembered something & it was actually the free calls
    they stopped.....?
    Jono, Feb 5, 2008
  12. Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    message news:47a8627a$0$26042$
    : : : : Stephen ?
    : : : :
    : : : No it's not a Stephen. It is in fact a VOIP protocol.
    : : :
    : : : Google IAX
    : : :
    : : : Results 1 - 10 of about 854,000 for iax. (0.18
    : : : seconds)
    : : :
    : : : http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
    : : : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-Asterisk_eXchange
    : :
    : : OK thanks I'm trying to use my ag188 with 1899.com iax
    : : it doesn't seem to work has any one had any luck with
    : : this ?

    Check you've got the latest firmware. Early versions of the AG188 only
    supported SIP.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 5, 2008
  13. Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in
    message news:fo9lle$24mk$

    [snip]

    : : : it is a VoIP protocol, an alternative to to SIP.
    : : :
    : : : http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-IAX
    : :
    : : And pronounced "eeks" aparently...
    : :
    : : Not been around as long as SIP or h.323, but
    : : lightweight and easy to get through firewalls. The code
    : : is open, free, etc. too. Originally intended to connect
    : : Asterisk boxes together, there are a small number of
    : : soft-phones (eg. Zoiper) which support it and an ATA
    : : (The IAXy) and a small number
    : : of desk phones supporting it too.

    Only needs one port (4569) opening as well,
    rather than the myriad required for SIP.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Feb 5, 2008
  14. Jono wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson pretended :
    >

    >>> http://www.1899.com/voip_extra.php
    >>> Configure an IAX softphone as follows:
    >>>
    >>> User Name:
    >>> 1899 + your phonenumber
    >>>
    >>> Password:
    >>> your 1899 customer number
    >>>
    >>> IAX Server:
    >>> iax.1899.com

    >> Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on
    >> their site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

    > Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many
    > moons ago.

    They did kill it about 2+ years back.

    --
    http://www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk/pcpro
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/dyna/rapex/rapex_archives_en.cfm
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 5, 2008
  15. Stephen Hammond

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Gordon Henderson pretended :

    >>> Well I guess I missed that, but still can't find a link to it on
    >>> their site - maybe you only get to it when registered...

    >> Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many
    >> moons ago.

    > They did kill it about 2+ years back.

    You are probably correct. A quick port scan of iax.1899.com does not
    reveal any IAX ports open only port 80 with no server on the end of it.
    Desk Rabbit, Feb 6, 2008
  16. Desk Rabbit wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>> Gordon Henderson pretended :

    >>> Unless they've reintroduced it, 1899's IAX service was turned off many
    >>> moons ago.

    >> They did kill it about 2+ years back.

    > You are probably correct. A quick port scan of iax.1899.com does not
    > reveal any IAX ports open only port 80 with no server on the end of it.

    It's a catchall DNS response, try resolving whores.1899.com or
    dodgychineseimports.1899.com. Everything resolves to their website.
    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 6, 2008