what is happening to my networkneighbourhood

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by alexander rickert, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. hello

    We have serieus problems with our LAN.
    Normally each pcfinds the network and show which pc is on/off the
    network, and we can switch files etc....
    When we klick it now, a message from from windows explorer show the next
    text (translated):

    ""Use can't use the network.Probably you are not allowed to use it.
    Please contact the admin to get acces. This server is configured to do
    transactions""

    All pc's have xpprof service pack I. Only one NEW pc has xpprof and
    service pack II.
    Is this service pack II causing all those probs????

    We already turned off firewalls etc. When we enter the specific pc name
    in the network search engine it find that pc, but won't show the^m in
    the networkneighb.hood.

    Is this some stupid option in service pack II????

    If anyone has any ideas please share them with us.

    TIA

    lex

    alexander rickert, Dec 1, 2004

  2. alexander rickert

    Jerry G. Guest

    It is difficult troubleshoot something like a network problem through an
    email. You can however check the basics yourself. I am using SP2 on some
    machines, and have no network problems. If the SP2 firewall is
    operating on the network, the machine cannot be pinged.

    Make sure that the domain names for you machines are matched, and each
    computer name is different. If so, check to see if you can ping the
    machines, by pinging with their names, since the IP addresses you are
    using are most likely DHCP, and would be more time consuming to figure
    them out. You can take the trouble to determine the IP for each machine,
    and then ping by the IP address.

    If you can ping the machines, this means that the machine is seeing the
    others on the network, and are not blocked with any type of firewall.
    If you cannot ping other machines, then see if you can ping your router.
    You will need the IP numbers for your router to ping it.

    If you get the ping responses, make sure that your drives, or folders on
    the machines are set to be shared. When installing SP2 in some cases,
    the shares are turned off. If there is no sharing, the machines can be
    pinged but not accessed to their drives, or folders.

    After making any changes in the machine's setup for the networking, it
    is best to use the IPconfig release and renew commands to reset it to
    the network.

    Beyond this, you will have to go through the details of how your network
    is set up, and the network configuration for the machines to
    communicate. This is more detailed, than what I or most people would be
    prepared to do over an email. Each system is a bit different, according
    to particular needs, but must all follow the proper rules for the
    networking set-up.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======