What is going on...?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dustbin, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Dustbin

    Dustbin Guest

    Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be
    time to undate my copy of Mozilla Suite. I am
    currently on 1.7.13.

    I could not find the usual down load link for
    mozilla and found that 1.7.13 remains the latest
    release of Mozilla suite.

    There appears to be an attempt to move us
    (whether we like it or not) to Firefox.

    Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy,
    insecure and less facilitous. I don't want to
    give up on Mozilla Suite.

    Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it
    wrong and just not finding the current version
    of Mozilla?

    D.
    Dustbin, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Dustbin wrote:
    > Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy of
    > Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
    >
    > I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
    > 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
    >
    > There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not) to
    > Firefox.
    >
    > Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous.
    > I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
    >
    > Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
    > finding the current version of Mozilla?
    >
    > D.

    Mozilla has been quite up front about dropping support of the Suite.
    Its possible we may see a security release on the 1.7 branch, but I
    think it highly unlikely.

    Have you not heard of SeaMonkey?

    A group of developers dedicated to the suite approach have formed the
    SeaMonkey Council, which continues suite development under the SeaMonkey
    name. Its an independent project with the support of MoFo.

    Current release version is 1.0.5. Think of the 1.0 brance as what
    Mozilla 1.8 would have been, in the next few months we should be seeing
    1.1. 1.1 is in testing stages now, with a beta release coming soon.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2006

  3. On 2006-10-13, Dustbin <> wrote:

    > Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be
    > time to undate my copy of Mozilla Suite. I am
    > currently on 1.7.13.
    >
    > I could not find the usual down load link for
    > mozilla and found that 1.7.13 remains the latest
    > release of Mozilla suite.
    >
    > There appears to be an attempt to move us
    > (whether we like it or not) to Firefox.
    >
    > Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy,
    > insecure and less facilitous. I don't want to
    > give up on Mozilla Suite.
    >
    > Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it
    > wrong and just not finding the current version
    > of Mozilla?

    You want seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/ "the
    application formerly known as 'Mozilla Application Suite.'"

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Dustbin

    Dustbin Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Dustbin wrote:
    >
    >> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy
    >> of Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
    >>
    >> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
    >> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
    >>
    >> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not)
    >> to Firefox.
    >>
    >> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
    >> facilitous. I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
    >>
    >> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
    >> finding the current version of Mozilla?
    >>
    >> D.

    > Mozilla has been quite up front about dropping support of the Suite. Its
    > possible we may see a security release on the 1.7 branch, but I think it
    > highly unlikely.
    >
    > Have you not heard of SeaMonkey?

    I only visit the site for updates occasionally.
    Yes I have seen references to SeaMonkey but did
    not know what it was. I'll take a look.

    THX

    D.

    --
    =======================
    Women have spent the last
    Dustbin, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Dustbin

    Dustbin Guest

    Sea Monkay

    Dustbin wrote:
    > Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy of
    > Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
    >
    > I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
    > 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
    >
    > There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not) to
    > Firefox.
    >
    > Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous.
    > I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
    >
    > Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
    > finding the current version of Mozilla?

    Got Sea Monkey.

    Seems to be Mozilla with a few logo changes.

    Since I installed it a few minutes ago I haven't
    put it through its paces but it seems Okay.

    Must admit I am absolutely knocked out by the
    spell-check as you go. But it does say that
    Mozilla and Okay mis-spell !!! When I
    right-clicked on Mozilla it offered Godzilla ;-)

    THX 4 Help.

    D.

    --
    =======================
    Women have spent the last
    Dustbin, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Re: Sea Monkay

    Dustbin wrote:
    > Dustbin wrote:
    >> Today I went to mozilla.org thnking it must be time to undate my copy
    >> of Mozilla Suite. I am currently on 1.7.13.
    >>
    >> I could not find the usual down load link for mozilla and found that
    >> 1.7.13 remains the latest release of Mozilla suite.
    >>
    >> There appears to be an attempt to move us (whether we like it or not)
    >> to Firefox.
    >>
    >> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
    >> facilitous. I don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.
    >>
    >> Are we now to have no choice or am I getting it wrong and just not
    >> finding the current version of Mozilla?
    >>

    > Got Sea Monkey.
    >
    > Seems to be Mozilla with a few logo changes.
    >
    > Since I installed it a few minutes ago I haven't put it through its
    > paces but it seems Okay.
    >
    > Must admit I am absolutely knocked out by the spell-check as you go. But
    > it does say that Mozilla and Okay mis-spell !!! When I right-clicked on
    > Mozilla it offered Godzilla ;-)
    >
    > THX 4 Help.
    >
    > D.

    All the Mozilla based products are works in progress. Spell check is
    due for a major upgrade, probably in the SM 1.1 series, or maybe next.

    Future plans include an XUL based SeaMonkey that will have customizable
    toolbars, ala Firefox, an Extension Manager built in ala Firefox, and
    make it much easier to port extensions over to the suite.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 13, 2006
  7. Dustbin

    Olgierd Guest

    Osoba przedstawiaj±ca siê jako *Dustbin* stuknê³a w klawisze i oto co
    powsta³o:

    > Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous. I
    > don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

    But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
    into the 'insecure' Firefox.
    Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a Seamonkey
    hole too.

    --
    pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
    || JID:eek: || http://olgierd.wordpress.com ||
    Olgierd, Oct 13, 2006
  8. Olgierd wrote:
    > Osoba przedstawiaj±ca siê jako *Dustbin* stuknê³a w klawisze i oto co
    > powsta³o:
    >
    >> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less facilitous. I
    >> don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

    > But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
    > into the 'insecure' Firefox.
    > Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a Seamonkey
    > hole too.

    Well, we could argue about where the holes are actually located, but
    lets not go there. If you're going to throw stones, provide some
    documentation.

    SeaMonkey is *not* based on the Firefox code. Rather, both are based on
    the gecko trunk code. FF 1.5 and SM 1.0 are based on the 1.8 branch of
    the trunk.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 14, 2006
  9. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Olgierd wrote:
    >> Osoba przedstawiaj±ca siê jako *Dustbin* stuknê³a w klawisze i oto co
    >> powsta³o:
    >>
    >>> Apart from the fact that Firefox is buggy, insecure and less
    >>> facilitous. I
    >>> don't want to give up on Mozilla Suite.

    >> But you got the same major bugs in your new Seamonkey that are included
    >> into the 'insecure' Firefox.
    >> Seamonkey is based on Firefox code and each Firefox hole means a
    >> Seamonkey
    >> hole too.
    >>

    > Well, we could argue about where the holes are actually located, but
    > lets not go there. If you're going to throw stones, provide some
    > documentation.
    >
    > SeaMonkey is *not* based on the Firefox code. Rather, both are based on
    > the gecko trunk code. FF 1.5 and SM 1.0 are based on the 1.8 branch of
    > the trunk.
    >
    > Lee

    I suspect our friend Olgierd is referring to the following:

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6121608.html

    Which is an admitted hoax:

    It there are other references, it would be a worthwhile discussion.
    This one has been put to bed.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 14, 2006
  10. Dustbin

    Olgierd Guest

    Osoba przedstawiaj±ca siê jako *Leonidas Jones* stuknê³a w klawisze i
    oto co powsta³o:

    > I suspect our friend Olgierd is referring to the following:
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6121608.html
    >
    > Which is an admitted hoax:
    >
    > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/6015/53/
    >
    > It there are other references, it would be a worthwhile discussion. This
    > one has been put to bed.

    Well, I didn't mean any existing bug, just 'any bug' to occur in Gecko
    engine in the future.
    And you're right, of course I should have said 'based on Gecko code' not
    'Fx code'.
    So if there's a hole in Gecko 1.8 engine, it shall occur in Firefox as
    well as in Seamonkey.

    Olgierd, Oct 14, 2006