    I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my mailboxes
    are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.

    Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit attachments
    > and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.
    >
    > I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my mailboxes
    > are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.
    >
    > Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    um, even though I thoroughly believe the statement "Microsoft won't have
    a single customer left..." the "microsoft spam" isn't from Microsoft...
    it's a worm.

    get a proper email service, such as www.cotse.net that provides spam
    filters... i haven't seen a "microsoft spam" in weeks.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 24, 2003

  3. <> wrote in message
    > What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit

    attachments
    > and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.
    >
    > I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my

    mailboxes
    > are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.
    >
    > Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    Nothing, (of course) as you probably haven't received one piece of spam from
    Microsoft :)

    John E. Carty, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Guest

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 24 Oct 2003 03:55:45 GMT, <> wrote:

    >Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    Very true, I used CPM/80 for years and never had a virus, Does
    anyone know a supplier preloading their machines with that instead
    of Win/XP ?

    Someone told me that Bill Gates' secret email address is
    but that might not be true and in
    any event you should not try to contact him or anyone there.

    When I get that $46m from my Nigerian business partner I
    will use it to launch a better version of windows which will
    make money rapidly.

    In the meantime, for virus problems, take an aspirin, why
    nobody is selling them online?

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    "There are no wrong questions, just wrong answers"

    Jim Watt, Oct 24, 2003
  5. Guest

    Bill Unruh Guest

    <> writes:

    ]What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit attachments
    ]and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.

    ]I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my mailboxes
    ]are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.

    ]Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    I am sure they would appreciate it if you told them what they can do.
    Those messages are produced by a virus. Ie, they have nothing to do with
    Microsoft. That trojan propagates by finding and infecting users who
    open the attachment. It also has a variety of other modes. It is a well
    crafted, with good psychological engineering, and is fortunately not too
    destructive (except for loading down people's mailboxes etc)
    Note that you can get rid of it by rejecting all executable attachments,
    since that huge attachment is and executable attachment.

    Bill Unruh, Oct 24, 2003
  6. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:55:45 +0000, pbutler111 wrote:

    > What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit attachments
    > and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.
    >
    > I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my mailboxes
    > are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.
    >
    > Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    Don't post to newsgroups with a valid email address either, in case yours
    is. If you do post with a real email address, it'll be spammed to buggery
    in no time.

    SB.

    Superbo Barnetta, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Guest

    Mimic Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit

    attachments
    > > and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.
    > >
    > > I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my

    mailboxes
    > > are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.
    > >
    > > Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.
    > >

    > um, even though I thoroughly believe the statement "Microsoft won't have
    > a single customer left..." the "microsoft spam" isn't from Microsoft...
    > it's a worm.
    >
    > get a proper email service, such as www.cotse.net that provides spam
    > filters... i haven't seen a "microsoft spam" in weeks.
    >

    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >
    > Privacy at a click:
    > http://www.cotse.net
    >
    > Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
    >
    > "...I see stupid people."

    I knwo what he means. I got an hotmail account but never used it, never
    typed the mail addy anywhere and now the box is fulla porn spam, looks like
    a good 10+ per day.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 24, 2003
  8. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    On 24 Oct 2003 03:55:45 GMT, <> wrote:

    >What the hell is going on with all this "Microshit" spam and bullshit attachments
    >and why the hell isn't Microsoft doing something about it.
    >
    >I have to get myself a new email address every few weeks because my mailboxes
    >are overflowing with Micros**t spam and attachments.
    >
    >Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    It's from a worm called Swen. It's out there (and hitting you)
    because of clueless computer owners.

    Most advice will tell you to filter the sh!t. Or just hit delete.
    Neither solution will stop it.

    The only way to stop Swen spam is to report the infected computers.
    Swen has been known for so long that most anybody who knows anything
    about computers is protected against it. The only ones left with
    infected computers are the truly clueless. They will never fix their
    computers on their own.

    I started reporting each Swen email several weeks ago, when I was
    getting 75 - 100 / day. This was a fscking nuisance, but I have
    gotten none for the past week - all the computers that were hitting me
    have either been taken offline or cleaned. You need to report each
    infection as soon as you can; each email you're getting is also going
    to somebody else who may become infected and make the problem worse.

    There is one and only one valid way to identify the reporting address
    for the infected computer, which requires that you examine the
    headers. Here is an example:

    ####### Start Example #######

    Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:01:27 +0200 (added by
    )

    tests=ALL_CAPS_HEADER,MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE,MIME_HTML_NO_CHARSET,
    MSG_ID_ADDED_BY_MTA,RCVD_IN_MULTIHOP_DSBL,
    RCVD_IN_UNCONFIRMED_DSBL,SPAM_PHRASE_00_01
    version=2.43

    Microsoft Customer

    this is the latest version of security update, the
    "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
    all known security vulnerabilities affecting
    MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
    as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
    Install now to maintain the security of your computer
    from these vulnerabilities.
    This update includes the functionality of all previously released
    patches.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

    ####### End Example #######

    The infected computer, in the example, is adqy (62.11.181.97).

    10/6/2003 10:08:03 whois -h whois.ripe.net 62.11.181.97

    remarks: | PLEASE CONTACT OUR ABUSE DIVISION () |
    remarks: | FOR ABUSE and-or SPAM COMPLAINTS. |

    Send this complaint, with full headers, to .

    There are any number of online whois lookup tools. I use All-NetTools
    ( http://www.all-nettools.com/tools1.htm ) and Broadband Reports (
    http://www.dslreports.com/whois ).

    Also, there are several tools which you can install. I use Sam Spade
    ( http://www.samspade.org/ssw/ ) and TESP ABouncer (
    http://www.tesp.com/abounce/ ). Both contain whois and other tools,
    and both help you format and send the complaint.

    Any reports you send need to be very objective; I have learned from
    others that subjective, whiny complaints do not result in 100%
    success. My reports did.

    Using TESP, I wrote and emailed a report (for this example) as
    follows:
    To:
    R33437 UBE from your network, containing virus: "Latest Network
    Security Pack"

    The attached Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE) "Latest Network Security
    Pack", which appears to contain copies of the Swen (Gibe) virus,
    appears to originate from your network. Please take appropriate
    action.

    - - - - - - - - Begin Attached Message - - - - - - - -
    Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 23:01:27 +0200 (added by
    )

    Microsoft Customer

    this is the latest version of security update, the
    "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes
    all known security vulnerabilities affecting
    MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express
    as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities.
    Install now to maintain the security of your computer
    from these vulnerabilities.
    This update includes the functionality of all previously released
    patches.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

    Chuck
    I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!

    Chuck, Oct 24, 2003
  9. I'm sure Microsoft is looking into it.

    The spammers probably reside on some tropical island out in the middle of
    nowhere!

    RFS
    iBox Technologies
    Industrial & Security Computer Cabinets
    www.iboxcabinets.com

    Randy F. Smith, Oct 24, 2003
  10. Guest

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:01:50 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On 24 Oct 2003 03:55:45 GMT, <> wrote:
    >
    >>Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    >Very true, I used CPM/80 for years and never had a virus, Does
    >anyone know a supplier preloading their machines with that instead
    >of Win/XP ?

    CP/M-86 still exists. It would fucking fly on today's hardware. Hell,
    you could even run a CP/M-80 emulator on today's modern hardware and
    get speeds faster than anything from when CP/M was THE OS of choice.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Oct 25, 2003
  11. Guest

    jayjwa Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    The only ones left with
    > infected computers are the truly clueless. They will never fix their
    > computers on their own.
    >
    > I started reporting each Swen email several weeks ago, when I was
    > getting 75 - 100 / day. This was a fscking nuisance, but I have
    > gotten none for the past week - all the computers that were hitting me
    > have either been taken offline or cleaned. You need to report each
    > infection as soon as you can; each email you're getting is also going
    > to somebody else who may become infected and make the problem worse.

    True, I got one now, I've been sending reports to their abuse desk all
    week. I tell them their mail server is bombing me 5-6 times an hour,
    every hour, every day, for over a week now. I started dropping all
    packets from the entire domain shortley after I saw the first flood
    coming- never mind about letting that shit thru to my smtp server so it
    can drown in the shit-pools they try to dump on me. And know what they
    say to me? "Please send us complete headers.." I said, WHAT HEADERS??!!
    You think I'm letting 5,000 copies of Swen be delivered, so YOU can see
    headers??!! I told them they probably got some retarded Windows user
    sending that damn thing off all hours. They reply back that they have so
    many emails, they can't keep track. That's no excuse- that sys admin
    should be fired, if he can't know literly over several thousand emails
    are bouncing and error messages are being generated like crazy. There
    seems to be a few networks that are the worst, telenor.net was the one
    that was bombing me, tisicali, comcast, dip.t-dialin.net, btconnect,
    (also an 8-time winner of the prestegous Distributed Server Boycott List
    Award!), btinternet, wanadoo, rr.com (road runner), idp.aol.com- those
    are the ones that are really out of control and have no clue as to what
    happens (or just plain don't care) on their networks. I hope the admins
    of those networks read this and get pissed off. They deserve it, email
    is next to useless now because of viruses and spam and networks like
    those are to blame.

    - jayjwa

    jayjwa, Oct 25, 2003
  12. Guest

    Chuck Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:15:46 -0400, jayjwa
    <> wrote:

    >True, I got one now, I've been sending reports to their abuse desk all
    >week. I tell them their mail server is bombing me 5-6 times an hour,
    >every hour, every day, for over a week now. I started dropping all
    >packets from the entire domain shortley after I saw the first flood
    >coming- never mind about letting that shit thru to my smtp server so it
    >can drown in the shit-pools they try to dump on me. And know what they
    >say to me? "Please send us complete headers.." I said, WHAT HEADERS??!!
    >You think I'm letting 5,000 copies of Swen be delivered, so YOU can see
    >headers??!!

    I understand your frustration - and your dilemma. Unfortunately, if
    you don't play by their rules, they won't play at all.

    You have to be objective, and patient - with your reports. You can
    reject their entire netblock. That will lessen the load on your
    network. But if you don't provide them clues (with full headers) at
    least once, they can't do anything. And any computers infected by
    their clueless customer, that you could have prevented, will be
    partially your fault.

    I'm continually surprised, by reading the various forums online, how
    fsckingly clueless some ISPs still are. I wish they would all start
    email scanning, and automate Swen analysis and detection. But many
    won't until they see the problem. And you have to help them see.

    Chuck, Oct 25, 2003
  13. Guest

    donutbandit Guest

    "[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:01:50 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 24 Oct 2003 03:55:45 GMT, <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Microsoft won't have a single customer left if they don't act soon.

    >>Very true, I used CPM/80 for years and never had a virus, Does
    >>anyone know a supplier preloading their machines with that instead
    >>of Win/XP ?

    > CP/M-86 still exists. It would fucking fly on today's hardware. Hell,
    > you could even run a CP/M-80 emulator on today's modern hardware and
    > get speeds faster than anything from when CP/M was THE OS of choice.

    comp.os.cpm

    I not only run a CP/M 80 emulator, but can put in a floppy disk and boot my
    computer into CP/M 86. There is a small but dedicated group keeping CP/M
    alive. I hear someone is even working on a CP/M browser.

    Since DOS was basically stolen from CP/M, it's not too far fetched.

    The thing about CP/M is that it was machine specific - the BIOS was
    specially written for each machine. CP/M 86 will run on x86 machines
    because it was originally written for one.

    donutbandit, Oct 25, 2003
  14. Guest

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 25 Oct 2003 05:11:49 GMT, donutbandit <> wrote:

    >"[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:01:50 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Very true, I used CPM/80 for years and never had a virus, Does
    >>>anyone know a supplier preloading their machines with that instead
    >>>of Win/XP ?

    >> CP/M-86 still exists. It would fucking fly on today's hardware. Hell,
    >> you could even run a CP/M-80 emulator on today's modern hardware and
    >> get speeds faster than anything from when CP/M was THE OS of choice.
    >>

    >comp.os.cpm
    >
    >I not only run a CP/M 80 emulator, but can put in a floppy disk and boot my
    >computer into CP/M 86. There is a small but dedicated group keeping CP/M
    >alive. I hear someone is even working on a CP/M browser.

    somewhere in my workshop I still have a working NorthStar Horizon
    machine for when I want some nostalgia and to remember how slow
    it all used to go. I had to rewrite a lot of the OS and create some
    utilities to make life bearable.

    However on that platform the best OS was a thing called Turbodos
    which was way ahead of its time and allowed the machine to run
    in one box a cluster of processors each with its own memory and
    IO with shared printers and hard disk. That was a much more
    robust product than anything Digital Research produced.

    But todays kids would not want to know as it does not run
    kazza.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 25, 2003
  15. In article <>,
    says...

    dictionary attack on @hotmail.com accounts. easily explainable.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, Oct 26, 2003
  16. Guest

    Volker Birk Guest

    [ Doc Jeff ] <> wrote:
    > CP/M-86 still exists. It would fucking fly on today's hardware. Hell,
    > you could even run a CP/M-80 emulator on today's modern hardware and
    > get speeds faster than anything from when CP/M was THE OS of choice.

    "Control Program for Microcomputers" not "Operating System".

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

    Volker Birk, Oct 26, 2003
  17. Guest

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:26:25 +0100, Volker Birk <>
    wrote:

    >"Control Program for Microcomputers" not "Operating System".

    "The software which is interposed between the user of a
    computer and the basic hardware and which controls the
    effective and efficient use (in the broadest sense) of the
    computer is known as 'The Operating System' "

    Introduction to Operating Systems Prof A J T Colin 1971
    ISBN 0 444 19589 0

    "CP/M has become the standard operating system for
    Z80, 8080 and 8085 microcomputers"

    Mastering CP/M Alan Miller 1983
    ISBN 0-90588-068-7

    "When are you going to thow out all those old books
    you never open"

    A Female 2003
    no barcode found

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Oct 26, 2003
  18. Guest

    Mimic Guest

    "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > "Colonel Flagg" <> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > says...

    bullshit
    > > attachments

    > > mailboxes

    > > > um, even though I thoroughly believe the statement "Microsoft won't

    have
    > > > a single customer left..." the "microsoft spam" isn't from

    Microsoft...
    > > > it's a worm.
    > > >
    > > > get a proper email service, such as www.cotse.net that provides spam
    > > > filters... i haven't seen a "microsoft spam" in weeks.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Colonel Flagg
    > > > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    > > >
    > > > Privacy at a click:
    > > > http://www.cotse.net
    > > >
    > > > Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > > > A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
    > > >
    > > > "...I see stupid people."

    > > I knwo what he means. I got an hotmail account but never used it, never
    > > typed the mail addy anywhere and now the box is fulla porn spam, looks

    like
    > > a good 10+ per day.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mimic
    > >
    > > "Without Knowledge you have fear, With fear you create your own

    nightmares."
    > > "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand

    Binary,
    > > and those that dont."
    > > "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    > > when you do, it blows away your whole leg"
    > >

    > dictionary attack on @hotmail.com accounts. easily explainable.
    >

    > --
    > Colonel Flagg
    > http://www.internetwarzone.org/
    >
    > Privacy at a click:
    > http://www.cotse.net
    >
    > Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
    > A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
    >
    > "...I see stupid people."

    uhuh, but its always only porn, which is what i find interesting, and within
    minutes of opening an account it starts :p
    oh well nm, its not like i use it anyway

    Mimic, Oct 26, 2003
  19. Guest

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    wrote:

    >[ Doc Jeff ] <> wrote:
    >> CP/M-86 still exists. It would fucking fly on today's hardware. Hell,
    >> you could even run a CP/M-80 emulator on today's modern hardware and
    >> get speeds faster than anything from when CP/M was THE OS of choice.

    >"Control Program for Microcomputers" not "Operating System".
    >
    >VB.

    CP/M is an operating system regardless of what it stands for. Thank
    you for your message.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Oct 27, 2003
  20. Chuck wrote:

    > I understand your frustration - and your dilemma. Unfortunately, if
    > you don't play by their rules, they won't play at all.
    >
    > You have to be objective, and patient - with your reports. You can
    > reject their entire netblock. That will lessen the load on your
    > network.

    That's what I did, hence no error msg from the MTA- the bastards never
    saw it because I won't let them.

    But if you don't provide them clues (with full headers) at
    > least once, they can't do anything.

    Headers are only generated if an smtp transaction takes place. No
    transaction, no headers. What I did send them was exact time, date IP,
    and port that their host attempted to connect to mine from. I just can't
    accept that there is no record of over 1,000+ attempted connections.
    And if this ISP is sleeping that hard, then I guess I know where to go
    when I want to hack something without any consequences! ;p

    And any computers infected by
    > their clueless customer, that you could have prevented, will be
    > partially your fault.

    Nope. None. None at all, if they have a client that is that clueless AND
    is the cause of this besides- they should have their account immediately
    revolked- no second chances, no warnings. The reason Swen went over so
    big is that some people are absolute idiots about security. Then myself,
    and everyone else that got bombed with that darn thing that didn't even
    own a Windows machine have to pay for their imcompetance.

    > I'm continually surprised, by reading the various forums online, how
    > fsckingly clueless some ISPs still are. I wish they would all start
    > email scanning, and automate Swen analysis and detection. But many
    > won't until they see the problem. And you have to help them see.

    From what I've seen, most ISp's I've seen know less than the clients
    they service. I'm surprised they could setup their network at all.

    --
    - jayjwa *Https Only* Mod-SSL / PGP Key / CA Onsite

    @micro$oft.com, Oct 27, 2003