What is GhostSurf and do I want it?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by JunkMonkey, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. JunkMonkey

    JunkMonkey Guest

    I have both hardware & software firewalls, Anti-virus, anti pop-up, both
    Spy-bot and Ad-aware,and Mailwasher. I need your help in deciding if
    GhostSurf should be permanently added to that list. I'm suspicious, because
    years ago, I was burned by McAfee's Internet GuardDog, what a mess that
    was!

    My copy of SystemSuite5 came with a "lite" copy of GhostSurf, which as I
    understand it, keeps people from pulling data from my PC. Which makes sense
    to me, but does it work? There is really no way for the casual user to
    know.

    However, the upgrade offer says that the upgrade gives me access to their
    anonymizing servers. My understanding is that this would make me appear to
    originate from the GhostSurf servers, that a malicious person could not
    track me back beyond that point. I guess it's like a community firewall.

    In theory, that sounds great. But how is the practical aspect? Does
    GhostSurf and similar products significantly slow down the internet
    browsing? Are their servers crowded and over worked? Does it cause
    compatibility problems? I have to disable the Lite version when I use
    MusicMatchJukebox to download music, which is not a big deal at this point
    but does the upgrade add levels of difficulty to this sort of need? Will it
    be disabled more often than not?

    In general, is this a genuine security product the casual user needs, or is
    it just pandering to my overall ignorance of security issues?

    Any advice or comments appreciated.
    JunkMonkey, Apr 24, 2004

  2. JunkMonkey

    some one Guest

    "JunkMonkey" <> wrote in message
    > I have both hardware & software firewalls, Anti-virus, anti pop-up, both
    > Spy-bot and Ad-aware,and Mailwasher. I need your help in deciding if
    > GhostSurf should be permanently added to that list. I'm suspicious,

    because
    > years ago, I was burned by McAfee's Internet GuardDog, what a mess that
    > was!

    It looks like this product is a local proxy and proxy database and switching
    program. So you pay for the software, but the service runs through "free"
    anonymous proxies. Personally I don't trust free proxies. Anyone can run a
    free proxy to harvest usernames and passwords. Plus I want reliability.

    So I step up and pay money yearly for SSH tunneling service with an
    anonymous proxy, then I use Proxomitron and point to that service, and use
    FoxFire when I want to be anon.

    There are several services out there that do this. Mine's pretty fast.
    some one, Apr 25, 2004