What is Fnet? -- multiple problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I have an external hard disk (I/O Magic Elite, 80 GB). It suddenly began to
    show "full" with only 40 GB used. I attempted to format, and format simply
    stalled. I used select all to try to delete and learned that there was a
    hidden file on the disk. After changing the settings in Control Panel to
    view the hidden file, I discovered that it is called Fnet, and it does not
    show up in the same manner as all other files. Instead, the picture of the
    folder and the title are very light in color. When I opened the file, I
    found that it had multiple copies of previously deleted files. When I tried
    to delete Fnet, an error message said that I could not delete a particular
    folder (a previously-deleted folder that nester within Fnet) because it was
    not empty. I went through Fnet and manually deleted each folder and also
    deleted the contents of this "maverick" folder. I still get the same error
    message, although the folder is empty!

    Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? I had a similar problem with
    another I/O Magic external disk some weeks ago. I did not discover the Fnet
    problem with that one and finally gave up on the disks. I have enough money
    invested in these that I would really like to resolve the problem, if at all
    possible. As things stand, I cannot even reformat this disk.

    Avast! does not detect any viruses.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 1, 2007

  2. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    > I have an external hard disk (I/O Magic Elite, 80 GB).

    According to what I'm reading at I/O Magic, their Elite is 40G. They
    make a DataToGo 80 and a Premier 80, but I see no Elite 80.
    http://iomagic.com/Categories/results.asp?cat=76

    Premier 80 = IUSB80HD25
    DataToGo 80 = I80HD25TG
    Elite 40 = USB40HD18

    Take your pick.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007

  3. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    MaryL wrote:

    > When I tried to delete
    > Fnet, an error message said that I could not delete a particular
    > folder (a previously-deleted folder that nester within Fnet) because
    > it was not empty.

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html Can't delete a
    file in Windows? Here's what to do

    http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html MoveOnBoot allows
    you to Move, Copy or Delete files before Windows can lock or alter the
    files. There are no messy boot or DOS commands, just a simple 3-step
    process.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007
  4. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007
  5. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > MaryL wrote:
    >> I have an external hard disk (I/O Magic Elite, 80 GB).

    > According to what I'm reading at I/O Magic, their Elite is 40G. They
    > make a DataToGo 80 and a Premier 80, but I see no Elite 80.
    > http://iomagic.com/Categories/results.asp?cat=76
    >
    > Premier 80 = IUSB80HD25
    > DataToGo 80 = I80HD25TG
    > Elite 40 = USB40HD18
    >
    > Take your pick.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    You're right. I have several of their products, including a couple of Elite
    40s. This is a Premier 80.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 1, 2007
  6. MaryL

    > MaryL wrote:
    > Subject: What is Fnet? -
    >
    > FNet is part of a Recovery System called PC Clone EX marketed for such
    > as your external storage system.
    >
    > Here's a .pdf about the system
    > http://www.bare-bone.com/download/ftp/bb-u2ata25b01/PCCloneEX User Guide_ENG.pdf
    > or http://snipurl.com/1p1kg
    >
    > It probably came with your 40 or 80 G I/O Magic portable storage.
    > Check the software CD that came with the drive.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    PC Clone does come with the I/O Magic products, but I don't like their
    backup system. Moreover, I discovered that it doesn't seem to recognize a
    second version (for example, Premier instead of Elite or vice versa).
    Rather than installing the software for each disk, I simply do a copy and
    paste of the folders I want to keep rather than doing a true backup. They
    are all connected via USB, and Windows recognizes the drive when I plug it
    in (with no software installation).

    You may be right that this file is associated with PC Clone -- but it eats
    up space, and I would really like to get rid of it. I'll look at the sites
    you listed in your other message to see if there is information that will
    let me delete this file. I'm puzzled as to why I can't simply reformat the
    disk and get rid of everything that way.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Aug 1, 2007
  7. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> MaryL wrote:
    >> Subject: What is Fnet? -

    >> It probably came with your 40 or 80 G I/O Magic portable storage.
    >> Check the software CD that came with the drive.

    > PC Clone does come with the I/O Magic products, but I don't like their
    > backup system.

    PC Clone is an FNet 'function'. FNet also provides tools for such as
    formatting the USB. I'm not saying you are supposed to like the backup,
    I'm just saying that you might want to look at the software tools that
    came with your drive if you are having trouble with the files on the
    drive which are associated with that software.

    > I'm puzzled as to why
    > I can't simply reformat the disk and get rid of everything that way.

    Maybe you can format with the FNet format tool.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007
  8. MaryL

    Guest

    "MaryL" <-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

    >I discovered that it is called Fnet, and it does not
    >show up in the same manner as all other files. Instead, the picture of the
    >folder and the title are very light in color. When I opened the file, I
    >found that it had multiple copies of previously deleted files.

    Trojan? Fnet.exe is a good program but dropped by the malware.

    The following clean utility programs are also dropped to the
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ folder:
    NB.EXE
    bnc.exe
    fnet.exe

    http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/trojircbotc.html
    (Under Description)

    Might search for the malwares programs (listed)
    --

    http://blizzmax.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bushbj.jpg

    , Aug 1, 2007
  9. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > MaryL wrote:

    >> I'm puzzled as to why
    >> I can't simply reformat the disk and get rid of everything that way.

    > Maybe you can format with the FNet format tool.

    From the IOMagic knowledge base.

    I have questions regarding FNet FAT32 Format Tool.
    Where is the Fnet FAT32 Format tool?
    Why do I need the Fnet FAT32 Format tool?
    Will it erase all the data stored in USB HDD after using Fnet FAT
    32 format tool to format the HDD?
    There are three partitions in my USB HDD, will it erase all of
    data of three partitions after using Fnet FAT32 format tool?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2007