    fruitbat Guest

    I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
    What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

    fruitbat, Feb 14, 2004

  2. fruitbat

    HF Guest

    Ask Jeeves or Howstuffworks.
    "fruitbat" <> wrote in message
    news:402dbe68$0$1728$...
    > I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
    > What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

    ---

    HF, Feb 14, 2004

  3. fruitbat

    Jerry G. Guest

    In very simple context, it is a software, or hardware system of some type,
    that can block ports in a manner where reverse entry from an outside system
    can go back to your computer. All reverse entries, according to how the
    firewall is set up, are not allowed to go back in to a system. This is to
    block out intrusion, such as monitoring a system's activity, or even taking
    control over a system.

    If you go to any of the sites that sell firewall hardware, or firewall
    software, they usually have some very detailed information about this. I
    found that the best firewall is the hardware type.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Feb 14, 2004
  4. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    Um, FireWIRE, not FirWALL.

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  5. fruitbat

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    fruitbat wrote:
    > I can recognise a USB port, a serial port, a PS2 port.
    > What does a Firewire port look like at the back of a computer?

    Have a look at http://www.dynamism.com/a1/index.shtml about a quarter of
    the way down the page. Not a terribly good illustration, but gives you
    an idea.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 14, 2004
  6. fruitbat

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:

    > In very simple context, it is a software, or hardware system of some type,
    > that can block ports in a manner where reverse entry from an outside system
    > can go back to your computer. All reverse entries, according to how the
    > firewall is set up, are not allowed to go back in to a system. This is to
    > block out intrusion, such as monitoring a system's activity, or even taking
    > control over a system.
    >
    > If you go to any of the sites that sell firewall hardware, or firewall
    > software, they usually have some very detailed information about this. I
    > found that the best firewall is the hardware type.

    He asked about *FIREWIRE* Gerry, not *firewall*

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 14, 2004
  7. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    looks a bit similar to a USB connector, but has rounded corners on one side
    of the port. Kind of like an elongated letter "D". Firewire is a device
    interface for connecting peripherals and other devices, much like USB. It is
    popular for video camera interfaces especially. It's also known as an
    IEEE1394 interface.

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  8. fruitbat

    George Guest

    There are both 4 pin and 6 pin standards...Thor described the 4 pin
    connector. You can find specs on it at www.ieee.org and look for "IEEE
    1394". It may be helpful for you to know that Firewire, iLink, and
    IEEE-1394 are all the same thing.

    George, Feb 14, 2004
  9. fruitbat

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Feb 14, 2004
  10. fruitbat

    msi Guest

    he said firewire not firewall

    msi, Feb 14, 2004
  11. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:14:10 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >Um, FireWIRE, not FirWALL.

    Um...Firewall...not Firwall ! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Feb 14, 2004
  12. fruitbat

    Thor Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:14:10 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Um, FireWIRE, not FirWALL.
    > >

    > Um...Firewall...not Firwall ! lol

    Haven't you seen a firwall? Vicious little buggers. Big fangs, long tail,
    and a face like a mother-in-law. ;-)

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  13. fruitbat

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:17:57 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Trent©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:14:10 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Um, FireWIRE, not FirWALL.
    >> >

    >> Um...Firewall...not Firwall ! lol

    >Haven't you seen a firwall? Vicious little buggers. Big fangs, long tail,
    >and a face like a mother-in-law. ;-)

    I've seen an EX one! Was actually married to it for a number of
    years.

    And yer right...VICIOUS! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent