What is firefox execution command for 1.0 in Linux

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Al. C, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Al. C

    Al. C Guest

    I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE

    Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In there
    is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple instances of
    firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff out of a ...
    bin directory since it is always part of the path.

    However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
    find the firefox directory.

    If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:

    firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox

    it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.

    What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can open
    up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the "user
    is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.

    Thanks,

    Al
    Al. C, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Al. C

    Moz Champion Guest

    Al. C wrote:

    > I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
    >
    > Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In there
    > is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple instances of
    > firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff out of a ...
    > bin directory since it is always part of the path.
    >
    > However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
    > find the firefox directory.
    >
    > If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
    >
    > firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
    >
    > it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
    >
    > What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can open
    > up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the "user
    > is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Al

    You found the profile selection executable
    It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances

    To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>

    Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
    there is NEVER a good idea <g>.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 18, 2005

  3. Al. C

    Al. C Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Al. C wrote:
    >
    >> I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
    >>
    >> Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In
    >> there is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple
    >> instances of firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff
    >> out of a ... bin directory since it is always part of the path.
    >>
    >> However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
    >> find the firefox directory.
    >>
    >> If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
    >>
    >> firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
    >>
    >> it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
    >>
    >> What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can
    >> open up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the
    >> "user is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Al
    >>

    > You found the profile selection executable
    > It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances
    >
    > To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>
    >

    > Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
    > there is NEVER a good idea <g>.

    Thanks. Running /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox works fine. I'm just not used
    to running executables out of usr/lib. I believe the problem is how the
    Slackware package was built.

    Running executables as a user and not root is generally pretty safe...
    assuming you know what you are doing... and I do (most of the time!)

    Al
    Al. C, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Al. C

    Moz Champion Guest

    Al. C wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >>Al. C wrote:
    >>

    >>>I run Slackware 9.1 with KDE
    >>>
    >>>Al the Firefox 1.0 stuff is in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox directory. In
    >>>there is a script called "firefox". If I run it, I can open multiple
    >>>instances of firefox. Works good. But is it correct? Usually one runs stuff
    >>>out of a ... bin directory since it is always part of the path.
    >>>
    >>>However, if i put firefox in /usr/bin it won't run at all, saying it can't
    >>>find the firefox directory.
    >>>
    >>>If I put a symlink in /usr/bin:
    >>>
    >>>firefox-->/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox
    >>>
    >>>it runs, but I can't run multiple instances of firefox. Very strange.
    >>>
    >>>What are you supposed to run to get this thing going and so that you can
    >>>open up multiple instances (say in different desktops) without getting the
    >>>"user is busy... create a new profile?" dialogue.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Al
    >>>

    >>You found the profile selection executable
    >>It runs profile selection so you can open in multiple instances
    >>
    >>To avoid the dialogue, create and use different profiles (see above) <g>
    >>

    >>Um, running executables BEFORE you know what they do or why they are
    >>there is NEVER a good idea <g>.
    >>

    > Thanks. Running /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox works fine. I'm just not used
    > to running executables out of usr/lib. I believe the problem is how the
    > Slackware package was built.
    >
    > Running executables as a user and not root is generally pretty safe...
    > assuming you know what you are doing... and I do (most of the time!)
    >
    > Al

    See the Help notes (release notes) for assistance with using the package.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 19, 2005