What is error 49 from ftdisk and how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
    gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.

    A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
    errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
    including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
    So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
    MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
    themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
    some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
    Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.

    For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
    all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
    with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
    hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
    Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
    coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
    allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
    they don't seem to apply.

    Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
    the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
    are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007

  2. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    HEMI-Powered added these comments in the current discussion du
    jour ...

    Sorry. Forgot to mention that NO errors are reported from
    Windows, any apps, nothing. And, NO BSOD and no stop on error
    from my BIOS. Also, I have verified that the PC is NOT auto-
    shutting down due to overheating or anything like that. In short,
    zero.zero errors up until this morning when I got the ftdisk 49
    error. Prior to this morning, I was getting yellow warnings for
    ftdisk but no error number, which told me that there was
    impending doom but I could find nothing out-of-whack. Thank you
    again.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007

  3. HEMI-Powered

    meerkat Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
    > gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
    >
    > A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
    > errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
    > including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
    > So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
    > MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
    > themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
    > some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
    > Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.
    >
    > For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
    > all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
    > with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
    > hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
    > Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
    > coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
    > allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
    > they don't seem to apply.
    >
    > Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
    > the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
    > are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

    Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
    Try it with 2megs of RAM.

    meerkat, Oct 18, 2007
  4. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    >> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD
    >> 2.6 gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
    >>
    >> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down
    >> with no errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all
    >> my partitions including external HD and did a very agressive
    >> malware scan. No go. So, I rolled my system back to a RP
    >> prior to when I installed the MS updates a couple weeks back.
    >> Thinking that the updates themselves were not directly to
    >> blame, I thought perhaps there was some interaction with
    >> updates to my malware apps, including Zone Alarm, eTrust Pest
    >> Patrol, and NAV 2006.
    >>
    >> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked
    >> well all day. Last night, the random shut downs started
    >> again, still with no errors in Event viewer. But, this
    >> morning after a REALLY hard time getting Windows to even
    >> start without hanging after loading my account settings, I
    >> noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in Event viewer. A quick look
    >> at the MS KB suggests that this is coming from Windows
    >> attempting to write to the pagefile and/or allocate space and
    >> cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but they don't seem
    >> to apply.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to
    >> kill the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty
    >> sure there are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be
    >> appreciated
    >>

    > Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
    > Try it with 2megs of RAM.

    Don't know. I am not at 4 gig, although only 3 are addressable. I
    have since ran some more chkdsks on several of my volumes except
    C:\ which I will do later. No errors found. I also turned paging
    completely off - zero page file - and restarted, deleted
    pagefile.sys, then turned on System Managed pagefule, which is
    about 3 gig out of about 38 gig in my C:\ partition. Don't know
    yet if rebuilding the pagefile in this way will help or not.

    Why would reducing memory have anything to do with anything? And,
    why all of a sudden did this occur? This PC has been rock solid
    stable for over 2 years, very rarely requiring a restart running
    24x7 except when some update from MS, Symantec, or other requires
    a restart.

    Thanks for you help, you can see that I'm still pretty confused
    but trying to learn as quickly as I can. Any other ideas would
    certainly be appreciated.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007
  5. HEMI-Powered

    > meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >
    >> "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in message
    >>> Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD
    >>> 2.6 gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
    >>>
    >>> A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down
    >>> with no errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all
    >>> my partitions including external HD and did a very agressive
    >>> malware scan. No go. So, I rolled my system back to a RP
    >>> prior to when I installed the MS updates a couple weeks back.
    >>> Thinking that the updates themselves were not directly to
    >>> blame, I thought perhaps there was some interaction with
    >>> updates to my malware apps, including Zone Alarm, eTrust Pest
    >>> Patrol, and NAV 2006.
    >>>
    >>> For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked
    >>> well all day. Last night, the random shut downs started
    >>> again, still with no errors in Event viewer. But, this
    >>> morning after a REALLY hard time getting Windows to even
    >>> start without hanging after loading my account settings, I
    >>> noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in Event viewer. A quick look
    >>> at the MS KB suggests that this is coming from Windows
    >>> attempting to write to the pagefile and/or allocate space and
    >>> cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but they don't seem
    >>> to apply.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to
    >>> kill the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty
    >>> sure there are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be
    >>> appreciated
    >>>

    >> Page file, and relationship to amount of RAM ?.
    >> Try it with 2megs of RAM.
    >>

    > Don't know. I am not at 4 gig, although only 3 are addressable. I
    > have since ran some more chkdsks on several of my volumes except
    > C:\ which I will do later. No errors found. I also turned paging
    > completely off - zero page file - and restarted, deleted
    > pagefile.sys, then turned on System Managed pagefule, which is
    > about 3 gig out of about 38 gig in my C:\ partition. Don't know
    > yet if rebuilding the pagefile in this way will help or not.
    >
    > Why would reducing memory have anything to do with anything? And,
    > why all of a sudden did this occur? This PC has been rock solid
    > stable for over 2 years, very rarely requiring a restart running
    > 24x7 except when some update from MS, Symantec, or other requires
    > a restart.
    >
    > Thanks for you help, you can see that I'm still pretty confused
    > but trying to learn as quickly as I can. Any other ideas would
    > certainly be appreciated.

    I`m getting old H., and my memory is not as good as it used to be,
    but I vaguely remember something about the pagefile being set at
    1.5 x the amount of RAM.
    So I thought, to save you altering anything, it would be quicker to
    reduce the amount of RAM, as a test.
    bw..

    meerkat, Oct 18, 2007
  6. HEMI-Powered

    old man Guest

    With a random shutdown you might try a www.memtest.org and run memtest for
    several hours

    old man, Oct 18, 2007
  7. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    meerkat added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > I`m getting old H., and my memory is not as good as it used to
    > be, but I vaguely remember something about the pagefile being
    > set at 1.5 x the amount of RAM.
    > So I thought, to save you altering anything, it would be
    > quicker to reduce the amount of RAM, as a test.
    > bw..

    The usual and proper way I understand to set the size of the
    pagefile, absent special needs or special knowledge, is to select
    the radio button "system managed size", which appears to be about
    10% or a little less. I, too, vaguely remember the 1.5X thingy
    maybe from Win98. But, whatever the pagefile is or is not supposed
    to be set at doesn't yet explain why it ran hot, straight, and
    normal until a couple of days ago, and why no errors are reported
    anyplace doing any diagnostics I know about, except the ftdisk
    error 49 which points to pagefile.sys and some other stuff. As to
    reducing RAM, that is taking a brute force approach, not a measured
    or logical approach. First, it requires the case to be taken off
    and second risks damaging either an expensive 1 gig card or the
    mother board, neither of which I am inclined to do until I have a
    LOT more info that I currently have.

    Thank you for the ideas, I will nose around and see what I can
    find. Meanwhile, as I think I stated a short whilee ago, I killed
    the pagefile and rebuilt it back to its "system managed" size and
    am waiting to see if that does or does not fix the problem. What is
    so annoying is that what appears to be a HD write error or a memory
    allocation error would manifest itself not as a BSOD with a code I
    could investigate, but as a random restart.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007
  8. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    old man added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > With a random shutdown you might try a www.memtest.org and run
    > memtest for several hours

    Hadn't thought of a memory test. I'll try that one and a
    comprehensive utility that stresses the system to the max. Thanks
    for the heads up.

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007
  9. HEMI-Powered

    Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:

    >I noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in
    >Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
    >coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
    >allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
    >they don't seem to apply.

    Delete your pagefile on each shutdown, it's recreated on each startup?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314834

    Also
    "1) This error can occur when you increase the RAM in a machine
    without increasing the page file accordingly. Then if the machine
    crashes, the page file is too small for the memory dump."
    www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/143480/page/1

    In that respect you might try:

    Start | Run <type in>
    drwtsn32
    <enter>

    Unselect "create crash dump file" (really I only have sound
    notification selected)

    You have no use for a crash dump files, might also search for *.dmp
    files and delete them all they can be huge.
    --

    50 Dumb Thrillseeking Deaths
    http://experiencedays.tv/bizarre/dumb-thrillseeking-deaths/index.php

    , Oct 18, 2007
  10. HEMI-Powered

    chuckcar Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in

    > Win XP Pro SP2 all updates except October's. Asus mobo, AMD 2.6
    > gHz, 4 gig memory, ATI Radeon.
    >
    > A few days ago, my PC started randomly shutting itself down with no
    > errors reported in Event viewer. I ran chkdsk on all my partitions
    > including external HD and did a very agressive malware scan. No go.
    > So, I rolled my system back to a RP prior to when I installed the
    > MS updates a couple weeks back. Thinking that the updates
    > themselves were not directly to blame, I thought perhaps there was
    > some interaction with updates to my malware apps, including Zone
    > Alarm, eTrust Pest Patrol, and NAV 2006.
    >
    > For a couple of days, the system was 100% stable and worked well
    > all day. Last night, the random shut downs started again, still
    > with no errors in Event viewer. But, this morning after a REALLY
    > hard time getting Windows to even start without hanging after
    > Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this is
    > coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile and/or
    > allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's other causes but
    > they don't seem to apply.
    >
    > Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it? My next step is to kill
    > the pagefile completely and rebuild it, as I am pretty sure there
    > are no bad blocks on C:\. Any ideas would be appreciated

    Have you run a scandisk on the drive and deleted any used unallocated
    blocks (those that it normally puts in a .chk file)? It may be that
    there is no space free on the drive due to improperly close files
    leading to loads of "unused" clusters.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 18, 2007
  11. >>I noticed a red ftdisk error 49 in
    >>Event viewer. A quick look at the MS KB suggests that this
    >>is coming from Windows attempting to write to the pagefile
    >>and/or allocate space and cannot, so it fails. There's
    >>other causes but they don't seem to apply.

    > Delete your pagefile on each shutdown, it's recreated on
    > each startup?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314
    > 834

    Yes. What I did, simply put, was change my virtual memory from
    "system size" to "no pagefile", THEN deleted pagefile.sys

    BUT, the problem got a WHOLE lot worse! It appears that what
    I've been seeing is in reality a REALLY serious hardware
    problem. It is almost certainly a severely damaged or
    completely dead power supply. I got my PC guru nephew and PC
    builder on the phone and literally as we were talking, the PC
    SHUT itself down! Dead, as in no power. And, it would not
    restart. Placing my hand over the top of the powersupply on
    the case proved it was almost too hot to touch.

    So, while it was cooling down, I took off the case so I could
    see the 4 or 5 fans that're in there. What I have is a simple
    case fan, a motherboard fan, a chipset fan, and a CPU fan on
    the AMD Athlon CPU with the fan on top of a pretty hefty heat
    sink. And, there's a fan inside the power supply.

    I powered it up, and just went into BIOS set-up mode via
    pressing Del on boot-up. EVERYTHING I could see should 100%
    OK. ALL the temperatures were well under shutdown, ALL the
    fans were running at their normal speed, and ALL the voltages
    from 1.5 to 3 to 5 to 12 were all within fractions of correct.
    So far, so good, right?

    Tried to launch Windows but the BIOS "hunts and fetches"
    meaning it recognizes my SATA HD and attempts to boot off it,
    can't for some reason, does NOT go to the secondary boot
    device, a 3.5" floppy and does NOT try the CD drive. Just
    keeps beeping and trying again. Dead, dead, and dead!

    As best I can tell, the power supply fan IS running but must
    not be running fast enough or something because the supply
    gets very hot very fast and even though it cannot start
    Windows, probably because some voltage or somee other thing I
    don't understand because I'm more of a SW person than HW is
    telling the BIOS NOT to launch from the HD. Hence, dead, dead,
    and dead.

    I'm guessing, just speculating, that the intermittant restarts
    with only an ftdisk warning in Event Viewer and later a red
    error 49 for ftdisk were just symptoms, perhaps of the power
    supply not providing something the CPU needs, the mobo needs,
    memory cannot be accessed or has errors, whatever, and it
    falls over. It is not a pleasant thought replacing the power
    supply but at least now that I have a catastrophic failure
    instead of some strange error code, maybe I can fix the dang
    thing.

    > Also
    > "1) This error can occur when you increase the RAM in a
    > machine without increasing the page file accordingly. Then
    > if the machine crashes, the page file is too small for the
    > memory dump."
    > www.compatdb.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/143480/p
    > age/1
    >
    > In that respect you might try:
    >
    > Start | Run <type in>
    > drwtsn32
    > <enter>
    >
    > Unselect "create crash dump file" (really I only have sound
    > notification selected)
    >
    > You have no use for a crash dump files, might also search
    > for *.dmp files and delete them all they can be huge.

    Thank you for the above suggestions. I will save your note for
    future reference should a new PS not fix it entirely. Also,
    once I can get Windows up and running stable enough for a
    long-term memory test, I will try that. On Monday when my
    nephew is back from a month's vacation in sunny Kalyfornia,
    I'll haul the whole shebang out to his shop along with the
    various install CDs for my apps but especially XP Pro and the
    SP2 upgrade just in case all of this falderall has corrupted
    Windows enough that a repair install is needed.

    I don't like this, who would? But, I do appreciate yours and
    the others ideas for me to try. If nothing else comes out of
    this, thanks to you good people, I have learned quite a bit.

    Have a great day!

    HEIMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Today chuckcar spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:

    > Have you run a scandisk on the drive and deleted any used
    > unallocated blocks (those that it normally puts in a .chk
    > file)? It may be that there is no space free on the drive
    > due to improperly close files leading to loads of "unused"
    > clusters.

    Actually, I used chkdsk from within Windows which launches
    during a restart. For my extendeded partitions, I could run
    chkdsk /f from a DOS window. Zero.zero errors.

    However, the hardware died a cruel death. Please see my longer
    post but it strongly appears to be a dead power supply which MAY
    have done some damage to the chipset or some other part of the
    mother board. I talked to my PC builder nephew and will haul the
    thing out to his shop on Monday for the fix.

    Thanks for the suggestion, and wish me luck!

    HEIMI-Powered, Oct 18, 2007
  13. HEMI-Powered

    Tony Guest

    I don't believe it. You always use the excuse "it's the power supply".
    The first time it actually was the power supply you tell him some other
    cockamamie rigmarole.

    Tony, Oct 19, 2007
  14. HEMI-Powered

    Tony Guest

    I've blown out more than a few power supplies although higher rated ones
    seem to last longer. A few times it took out my ethernet card or it may
    have been conversely the ethernet card being over-used took out the
    power supplies.

    Tony, Oct 19, 2007
  15. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Tony added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > I don't believe it. You always use the excuse "it's the power
    > supply". The first time it actually was the power supply you
    > tell him some other cockamamie rigmarole.

    All I know for sure is this: the first time MY PC actually shut
    itself down, not just restarted on its own, I felt the top of the
    case the the upper part just over the power supply was too hot to
    touch. And, of course, the PC would not turn back on probably
    because the high temp had tripped the BIOS shut off. So, I took
    the case off, let it cool down, and tried again. I managed to get
    it at least to BIOS set-up. The temps and voltages looked OK and
    all the fans that the BIOS monitors were running, but the PS was
    immediately getting hot. I tried a couple of times to start
    Windows but was totally unsucessful. Right now, it is 100% dead,
    will not power up at all.

    So, wouldn't my first suspect be the power supply? I talked to my
    nephew who is also my PC builder tech support person, he agrees
    but fears that as the PS was dying, it may have damaged the
    mother board or at least part of the chip set, but hopefully not
    the CPU. He's been on vacation in California for a month and is
    presumeably coming back Sunday. I'll haul the whole mess over to
    his shop and let him fix whatever is busted.

    Meanwhile, I've set up shop on my wife's PC using my backups that
    were on an external HD to transfer the minimum over.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 19, 2007
  16. HEMI-Powered

    Tony Guest

    If the beep code is still the same when it starts the motherboard should
    be ok. Usually a power supply takes a day or two to completely go. The
    longer you wait to start your computer again the more chance the power
    supply has of working. Look for the light on the cd/dvd writers then
    floppy drive if it has one to light when it starts.

    Tony, Oct 19, 2007
  17. HEMI-Powered

    chuckcar Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in

    > Tony added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    Don't feed the troll unless you want to get into a long involved thread
    that goes nowhere about bull.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 19, 2007
  18. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Tony added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > If the beep code is still the same when it starts the
    > motherboard should be ok. Usually a power supply takes a day
    > or two to completely go. The longer you wait to start your
    > computer again the more chance the power supply has of
    > working. Look for the light on the cd/dvd writers then floppy
    > drive if it has one to light when it starts.

    Agreed. It was beeping and restarting over a 3 or 4 day period
    and I actually thought I'd fixed it by rolling back to an RP
    before the October MS updates, thinking something was amiss.
    Alas, it started beeping and restarting again, then suddenly shut
    down, and has been totally dead since. As I commented in another
    reply, when I felt the top of the case the PS is right under it
    was too hot to touch.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 19, 2007
  19. HEMI-Powered

    Tony Guest

    It's about his computer he's trying to get fixed. You're just trying to
    confuse him so he might do something stupid to his computer before he gets
    it fixed.

    Tony, Oct 19, 2007
  20. HEMI-Powered

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Tony added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > It's about his computer he's trying to get fixed. You're just
    > trying to confuse him so he might do something stupid to his
    > computer before he gets it fixed.

    Tony, not sure what you mean nor what chuckcar said, but it turns
    out that I am past being confused or doing anything dumb. All
    signs now point to a power supply that was dying and "confusing"
    Windows that suddenly went 100% belly up. My PC will not even
    power up right now so I will be getting it repaired next week.

    My thanks to all who provided insight on how I might diagnose
    this problem.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    HEMI-Powered, Oct 20, 2007