What Is Ebay Without Sellers?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by so57th, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. so57th

    so57th Guest

    I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.

    What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    host your listings.

    What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    listings for free.

    Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.

    Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    same?

    This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.

    Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    for your listings.

    Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    so57th, Nov 16, 2005

  2. so57th

    Large Farva Guest

    I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the price
    to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and sell
    it eventually for $150. Which would you do?

    Large Farva, Nov 16, 2005

  3. so57th

    so57th Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > >I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    > >
    > > What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    > > host your listings.
    > >
    > > What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    > > listings for free.
    > >
    > > Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    > > It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    > > because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.
    > >
    > > Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    > > move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    > > same?
    > >
    > > This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    > > gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    > >
    > > Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    > > for your listings.
    > >
    > > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    > >

    > I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the price
    > to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    > Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and sell
    > it eventually for $150. Which would you do?

    List it on Yahoo for $400 and save the fees.

    List on eBay and eBay will continue to dictate terms and raise your
    fees.

    List on Yahoo and take control of your online sales.

    so57th, Nov 16, 2005
  4. so57th

    so57th Guest

    so57th wrote:
    > Large Farva wrote:
    > > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > > >I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    > > >
    > > > What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    > > > host your listings.
    > > >
    > > > What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    > > > listings for free.
    > > >
    > > > Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    > > > It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    > > > because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.
    > > >
    > > > Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    > > > move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    > > > same?
    > > >
    > > > This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    > > > gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    > > >
    > > > Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    > > > for your listings.
    > > >
    > > > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > > > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    > > >

    > > I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the price
    > > to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    > > Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and sell
    > > it eventually for $150. Which would you do?
    > >

    > List it on Yahoo for $400 and save the fees.
    >
    > List on eBay and eBay will continue to dictate terms and raise your
    > fees.
    >
    > List on Yahoo and take control of your online sales.
    >
    > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

    If you only have one item to list and want a quick sale, Ebay is
    currently the way
    to go.

    If you sell a lot of items on a regular basis, and are tired of eBay's
    fee
    increases, move all or part of your listings to Yahoo and encourage
    other
    sellers to do the same.

    The # 1 site is wherever sellers list most of their items. That is
    where the buyers
    will be. Better to list on a free site than one that keeps increasing
    your fees.

    so57th, Nov 16, 2005
  5. so57th

    FAQmeister Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    >
    > What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    > host your listings.
    >
    > What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts
    > your listings for free.
    >
    > Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for
    > free? It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with
    > eBay because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the
    > buyers are.
    >
    > Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    > move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    > same?
    >
    > This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and
    > sales gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    >
    > Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    > for your listings.
    >
    > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > http://auctions.yahoo.com/

    Buyers don't know about Yahoo Auctions because they don't spend enough
    to advertise it. As long as that's the case, it doesn't matter how many
    listings they have.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Nov 16, 2005
  6. so57th

    Justin Guest

    so57th wrote on [16 Nov 2005 13:30:23 -0800]:

    > Large Farva wrote:
    >> "so57th" <> wrote in message
    >> >I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    >> >
    >> > What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    >> > host your listings.
    >> >
    >> > What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    >> > listings for free.
    >> >
    >> > Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    >> > It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    >> > because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.
    >> >
    >> > Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    >> > move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    >> > same?
    >> >
    >> > This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    >> > gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    >> >
    >> > Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    >> > for your listings.
    >> >
    >> > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    >> > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    >> >

    >> I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the price
    >> to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    >> Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and sell
    >> it eventually for $150. Which would you do?
    >>

    > List it on Yahoo for $400 and save the fees.
    >
    > List on eBay and eBay will continue to dictate terms and raise your
    > fees.
    >
    > List on Yahoo and take control of your online sales.

    So, you work for Yahoo
    Justin, Nov 16, 2005
  7. so57th

    SBFan2000 Guest

    A smart seller lists items where most people see them. Its common sense,
    the bigger the customer base the bigger the chance of selling for the
    highest price in the shortest time.

    I have nothing against yahoo, at least not yahoo auctions. But until they
    are have the customer base that ebay has they will always be second (or
    less) best.

    SBFan2000, Nov 16, 2005
  8. so57th

    so57th Guest

    SBFan2000 wrote:
    > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > > I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    > >
    > > What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    > > host your listings.
    > >
    > > What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    > > listings for free.
    > >
    > > Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    > > It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    > > because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.
    > >
    > > Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    > > move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    > > same?
    > >
    > > This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    > > gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    > >
    > > Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    > > for your listings.
    > >
    > > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    > >

    > A smart seller lists items where most people see them. Its common sense,
    > the bigger the customer base the bigger the chance of selling for the
    > highest price in the shortest time.
    >
    > I have nothing against yahoo, at least not yahoo auctions. But until they
    > are have the customer base that ebay has they will always be second (or
    > less) best.

    It would require some effort and a short term sacrifice.

    If sellers can look past the next 3 to 7 days and move their listings
    to Yahoo,
    that's where the customer base would be.

    Small sacrifice for a huge payoff. Ebay is making Billions off its
    sellers
    and continuing to raise their fees.

    so57th, Nov 16, 2005
  9. so57th

    so57th Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > so57th wrote on [16 Nov 2005 13:30:23 -0800]:
    > >
    > > Large Farva wrote:
    > >> "so57th" <> wrote in message

    > >> I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the price
    > >> to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    > >> Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and sell
    > >> it eventually for $150. Which would you do?
    > >>

    > > List it on Yahoo for $400 and save the fees.
    > >
    > > List on eBay and eBay will continue to dictate terms and raise your
    > > fees.
    > >
    > > List on Yahoo and take control of your online sales.

    > So, you work for Yahoo

    I'm a seller and I represent sellers. Tired of eBay raising their fees
    and taking
    a bigger bite out of our profits.

    Yahoo will have plenty of free listings regardless of what eBay sellers
    do.
    so57th, Nov 16, 2005
  10. so57th

    FAQmeister Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > If sellers can look past the next 3 to 7 days and move their listings
    > to Yahoo,
    > that's where the customer base would be.

    Oh, I see. So all you have to do is get the big sellers to move over to
    Yahoo and the customers will soon follow? And that'll only take about a
    week.

    Not quite. If Yahoo Auctions ever wants to make itself more than an
    also-ran it's going to have to spend many millions of dollars over an
    extended period of time on advertising AND offer the buyers an incentive
    to shop there. I really don't think they're up for that.

    FAQmeister, Nov 16, 2005
  11. so57th

    so57th Guest

    FAQmeister wrote:
    > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    > > If sellers can look past the next 3 to 7 days and move their listings
    > > to Yahoo,
    > > that's where the customer base would be.

    > Oh, I see. So all you have to do is get the big sellers to move over to
    > Yahoo and the customers will soon follow? And that'll only take about a
    > week.

    Its a short term effort and small sacrifice for a HUGE pay off.
    Ebay makes billions off sellers and continues to raise our fees.

    Yahoo is the # 1 site for traffic and has integrated Yahoo Auctions
    with Yahoo Shopping. Auction listings are now included int the
    Shopping search.

    I wish you well with your eBay sales. I believe you would benefit more
    if you were paying less fees for listings that cost eBay pennies to
    host.

    Listing on eBay for a fast turnover is one thing. Arguing against any
    effort
    to break the eBay monopoly is not in your best interests as a seller.

    Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/
    so57th, Nov 16, 2005
  12. so57th

    Justin Guest

    so57th wrote on [16 Nov 2005 15:45:04 -0800]:

    > Listing on eBay for a fast turnover is one thing. Arguing against any
    > effort
    > to break the eBay monopoly is not in your best interests as a seller.

    Then go to where the sellers are. It isn't here.
    Justin, Nov 17, 2005
  13. so57th

    Phil R. Guest

    On 16 Nov 2005 08:35:03 -0800, "so57th" <> wrote:

    >I assume many of you buy AND sell on eBay.
    >
    >What is eBay without their listings? An empty venue that charges fees
    >host your listings.
    >
    >What is Yahoo Auctions without listings? An empty venue that hosts your
    >listings for free.
    >
    >Why would sellers pay to list on a venue when they could list for free?
    >It's a group mentality that says, I have to keep listing with eBay
    >because that's where everyone else lists so thats where the buyers are.
    >
    >Assuming you list 100% of your items on eBay, wouldn't a smart seller
    >move some of his items to Yahoo and encourage other sellers to do the
    >same?
    >
    >This way you continue to make sales on eBay while the traffic and sales
    >gradually increase on Yahoo where you keep all your profits.
    >
    >Ebay will be bending over backwards and lowering their fees to compete
    >for your listings.
    >
    >Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    >http://auctions.yahoo.com/

    Yeah, the Special Features on this DVD are so cool.

    How do I access the Easter Egg?

    --Phil
    Phil R., Nov 17, 2005
  14. so57th

    so57th Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > so57th wrote on [16 Nov 2005 15:45:04 -0800]:
    > >
    > > Listing on eBay for a fast turnover is one thing. Arguing against any
    > > effort
    > > to break the eBay monopoly is not in your best interests as a seller.

    > Then go to where the sellers are. It isn't here.

    We have sellers, buyers, and renters.

    so57th, Nov 17, 2005
  15. so57th

    Biz Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message

    > Justin wrote:
    > > so57th wrote on [16 Nov 2005 15:45:04 -0800]:
    > > >
    > > > Listing on eBay for a fast turnover is one thing. Arguing against any
    > > > effort
    > > > to break the eBay monopoly is not in your best interests as a seller.

    > > Then go to where the sellers are. It isn't here.

    > We have sellers, buyers, and renters.
    >
    > Yahoo Auctions - Free Listing - No Fees
    > http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/

    And you have spammers that will not spamming, like you....
    Biz, Nov 17, 2005
  16. so57th

    Large Farva Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message

    >> I agree that Ebays fee structure really sucks, but I just jack up the
    >> price
    >> to make up for it. If I want to sell something for $300, I can sell it on
    >> Ebay for $400, or list in on Yahoo for six months with no bidders and
    >> sell
    >> it eventually for $150. Which would you do?
    >>

    > List it on Yahoo for $400 and save the fees.

    What part of "it wont sell at Yahoo" do you not understand?
    Large Farva, Nov 17, 2005
  17. so57th

    Large Farva Guest

    "so57th" <> wrote in message

    > Its a short term effort and small sacrifice for a HUGE pay off.
    > Ebay makes billions off sellers and continues to raise our fees.

    ...which is why we just raise our shipping prices by a nickel.

    > Yahoo is the # 1 site for traffic and has integrated Yahoo Auctions
    > with Yahoo Shopping. Auction listings are now included int the
    > Shopping search.

    Actually Google crushes Yahoo in the traffic department.
    Large Farva, Nov 17, 2005
  18. so57th

    Mark Jones Guest

    Large Farva wrote:
    > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Its a short term effort and small sacrifice for a HUGE pay off.
    >> Ebay makes billions off sellers and continues to raise our fees.

    > ..which is why we just raise our shipping prices by a nickel.
    >

    >> Yahoo is the # 1 site for traffic and has integrated Yahoo Auctions
    >> with Yahoo Shopping. Auction listings are now included int the
    >> Shopping search.

    > Actually Google crushes Yahoo in the traffic department.

    I haven't used Yahoo for anything in a long time. They are a terrible
    site for locating web sites because they don't even attempt
    to index the entire web. I see no real purpose to Yahoo any more.
    Mark Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  19. so57th

    Justin Guest

    Large Farva wrote on [Thu, 17 Nov 2005 03:17:37 GMT]:

    > "so57th" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Its a short term effort and small sacrifice for a HUGE pay off.
    >> Ebay makes billions off sellers and continues to raise our fees.

    > ..which is why we just raise our shipping prices by a nickel.
    >

    >> Yahoo is the # 1 site for traffic and has integrated Yahoo Auctions
    >> with Yahoo Shopping. Auction listings are now included int the
    >> Shopping search.

    > Actually Google crushes Yahoo in the traffic department.

    Not according to Alexa
    Justin, Nov 17, 2005
  20. so57th

    so57th Guest

    Most eBay sellers try to pass themselves off as smart business people,
    when in fact, the vast majority of eBay sellers make minimum wage or
    less selling on eBay (i.e. scam buster).

    Look at the completed auctions. Less than 50% sellthru rate for most
    categories and most of the items that are selling are at liquidation
    prices.

    Its human nature to defend and justify our decisions and actions.
    "I sell on eBay so it MUST be the smart thing to do."

    It's a MYTH. Most eBay sellers could make more money working a
    part time job for minimum wage.

    Most eBay sellers could make more money for the time spent, listing
    on free sites if they quit giving everything away to "compete" on eBay.

    You can spend hours everyday turning your inventory over at close to
    cost on eBay OR you can build up your inventory and make a profit on
    every item you sell on the free sites. Get paid for your time.

    There's a reason why Wal-Mart doesn't put everything out at 99 cents
    and sell it for the highest offer received in 3 days. They would wear
    their employees out and go broke in the process.

    so57th, Nov 17, 2005